Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Old Oct 17, 2002, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Arrow Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

I am a Platinum member attending a conference in Mexico City the week of Oct 28th. The conference will be held at the Galeria Plaza (formerly a Westin). The dilemma is whether to stay there with no points or stay at the Sheraton Maria Isabel. Does anyone have any advice on the better property? Are they close to each other? Normally I am an automatic sucker for the points, but this is my first time in Mexico and I may feel more comfortable staying at the same location as the conference. Any comments would be most appreciated!
Old Oct 17, 2002, 11:11 am

I am a very frequent traveler to Mexico City.

I have stayed at both properties. I would stay at the Sheraton. It is very close. One and a half blocks away. Tha walk is not bad except for crossing Reforma.

The Galeria Plaza was going downhill when it was a Westin. I have walked by it a few times this past year and it was looking "scrungy".

For the points I would pick the Sheraton.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 12:12 pm

CMH-traveler is right, the Sheraton (Sheraton Maria Isabel Hotel and Towers) is nicer and not far, just off Reforma on the other side of Paseo de la Reforma.
If your meeting/schedule allows it, you should select the Sheraton.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 6:19 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
I have stayed many times at the Galeria but not since it was a Westin. Do not know the Sheraton but it is nearby.

Last month I was in MEX and stayed at the Gran Melia, which is further down on Paseo Reforma but is an incredible property which I would highly recommend. Unfortunately it is not part of Starwood but it is a 5* property, about 25 stories high and with lots of butlers running around. Great place. And you can earn AA miles as well as other airlines miles there.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Arrow Mexico City: which Starwood? [Master thread]

Does anyone have any experience at either/both Sheraton Centro Historico or/and Sheraton Maria Isabel? Both are well located and about the same price; I'm wondering if one is clearly superior to the other in any way. Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 11:14 am

I've not yet stayed at the Centro Historico hotel, but can comment on the Maria Isabel.

I have stayed at this hotel probably 50 times--almost always have booked a Towers room. On probably 50% of my stays, I have been upgraded to a junior level suite. These are superb!!! The exercise facility is nice, plus they have two tennis courts as well. The restuarant is pretty good, though I prefer to go to other restaurants around the city.

The last two times I stayed there (last month the most recent), my gold card had expired--but I got the upgrade anyway.

I will try out the new hotel though. Best of luck.

[This message has been edited by Ski Ag-'82 (edited 06-23-2003).]
Old Oct 10, 2003, 9:08 am

Sheraton hotels in Mexico City

I will be travelling to Mexico City in the next few weeks and would like to stay at one of the Starwood properties there. I stayed earlier this year at the Sheraton Suits Santa Fe and found it overpriced, the room was uninviting, and the bed extremely uncomfortable.
Anybody has stayed at the Maria Isabel or the Centro Historico hotels? What is your recommendation? I noticed Starwood was planning to open a W hotel in the Polanco district. Is it open yet? If so, any reviews?
Have any of the Sheratons in Mexico City imported the Sweet Sleeper bed yet?
Old Oct 10, 2003, 10:46 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
Just spent 3 nights at the Centro Historico 3 weeks ago. The hotel is brand new (February 2003) and represent a very good quality for the money (I paid $120.00US).

Was upgraded to a (large) junior suite on the 21th floor. The view was quite impressive, the whole lenght of the room (about 25ft) was covered with floor to ceiling windows. The rooms located on the other side of the corridor seems to have only 1 small window. Bathroom is large and modern with a large glass shower and a separate tub.

Only good things to say about the hotel. Rooms are modern, the look is more "W" than a typical Sheraton. Restaurant serve good meal. No lounge but was offered breakfast coupons. They are still working on the top floors so maybe the future lounge will be located there. Also tried room service one night and it was very good.

The breakfast was a little odd because even if there was a buffet for breakfast I could not pick my-self what I needed. I had to ask the server each time and he had to go himself to the buffet...That was only reserved for those with coupons...Time consuming and a little frustrating.

I guess the W hotel is probably something else but if you consider the price of the rooms the Centro Historico represent a very good alternative.
Old Oct 10, 2003, 6:01 pm

I have to agree 100% with 767.

I was there over Labor Day weekend and had a wonderful stay.

I am gold and received a room on a very high floor with an excellent view of the park.

The only thing that I was a little disappointed with was the in hotel restaurant. I had dinner there and was not impressed. If you do stay there I highly recommend a walk to the Cafe Tacuba which is very inexpensive and the food is excellent.

This is an excellent area to stay in Mexico City (IMO).

I have pictures of the room / bathroom & view that I can e-mail you. My e-mail is posted.

Keba
Old Oct 10, 2003, 7:55 pm

We stayed at both the Centro Historico and Maria Isabel for our anniversary a couple months ago. We originally planned to spend the whole time at the Centro Historico, but there was a sulpheric odor that permeated the public spaces -- it was really pronounced, but no one at the hotel claimed they could smell it. We left even though we loved the room with the view over the Almeda and the excellent location (would second the Cafe Tacuba recommendation, though Cafe Popular is very funky and fun as well -- a real institution closer to the Zocalo).
We left and went to the Maria Isabel -- a huge mistake. The room was awful, the place depressing, and we were billed when we availed ourselves of the lounge (which I had been told PMs had access to -- turns out access does not mean you can actually take advantage of anything there). I would not go back to the Maria Isabel until they do a MAJOR renovation. In retrospect, we should of put up with a little sulphur
Old Oct 28, 2003, 3:17 pm

Currently at the Maria Isabel: I agree 100%, it needs a major renovation immediately; worst Sheraton in Latin America in my opinion.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 4:44 pm

Arrow Mexico City: which Starwood? [Master thread]

A couple of my friends decided that we wanted to get a little adventurous and try something different from the usual Europe trips so we are going down south of the border to Mexico city for the first time. None of us know much about the place and I was just wondering if anybody could provide any suggestions on Starwood properties to stay at which are in the nice part of town with nightlife and activities. We are just there for the Labor day weekend. I saw 3 Sheratons and a W in Mex City. I'm sure the W is great but how about the 3 sheratons? I am thinking Sheraton Maria because of the price factor. Thanks for any suggestions and recommendations.
Old Jul 26, 2004, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
i have only stayed at the W, and it was great. of course traffic is horrible in the D.F., but i think you said you were going on vacation over labor day so getting to places will be half the adventure. mexico city is a great place to visit, and not many US tourists go to appreciate the largest city in north america. espero que tienne un buen tiempo alli. buena suerte!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:02 am

My Sheraton experiences in Mexico City

I have stayed twice at the Sheraton Maria Isabel, the second time as a Platinum. Either time I found the hotel to be very nice, but the rooms are in dire need of renovation (I was told they were considering it along with the implementation of the Sweet Sleeper beds). In any case, the room was very disappointing. The location is good, in the center of the city with walking access to the Zona Rosa.

I have stayed many times at the Sheraton Suites Santa Fe because of business reasons. It is located in a new area, recently developed, mostly for businesses. It is away from the center of the city and, with the exception of a mall which is about a $5 cab ride away, the area is dead at. night. If you go there for vacation, there is no reason whatsoever to stay at this hotel. In addition, the room price is exorbitant given the quality of the room [they charge more because of the businesspeople thaausect have to use this hotel because they do not want to drive to this area]. In addition, their mattresses are as hard as the floor [really, I have never been at a hotel with worse mattresses, Motel6 and youth hostals included].

The W hotel is new, more expensive, but I am sure would be a very pleasant experience. It is in the Polanco neighborhood, which offers many eating alternatives, and is close to the center of town.

I have wanted to stay at the Sheraton Centro Historico, but never did it because it is far from Santa Fe. I have seen the hotel lobby, and looked beautiful to me. I cannot comment on the rooms. The location is excellent to see the old part of town.

For a vacation, my recommendation would be that you stay at the Centro Historico.
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:52 pm

I have only stayed at the Isabel Maria and the Centro Historico -- the latter is hands-down the better of the two. The Isabel Maria was a real dump -- I had a "suite" -- basically two regular rooms with a door between them, and they both had the grottiest furniture I've ever seen in a Starwood. I wouldn't even sit on the sofa!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.