Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I stopped by the Sheraton Centro Historico right when it was opening. Very nice - very modern. Great location for visiting downtown. But I only spent one day of my trip in the old part of town, whereas I went out every night for dinner and found Polanco very safe with many choices (I stayed at the JW Marriott).
Old Feb 22, 2005, 7:56 pm

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Centro Historico is great, especially if you get a room overlooking the Almeda. When I stayed there, there was some really noxious, ever-present gas smell in the lobby but that has undoubtedly been cleared up. Great location for sightseeing -- close to the Bellas Artes and (duh) the centro historico.
The W is great if you get a decent price -- Polanco is not the most convenient neighborhood for sightseeing, but it's good for shopping.
The Maria Isabel is in a good location (just north of Zona Rosa) but the metro is a good 15 minute walk, and the place is just generally shabby. Very poor treatment of platinum members.
Mexico City is one of my favorite places in the world -- have a GREAT time! ^
Old Feb 23, 2005, 2:34 pm
MEX

Programs: HH-Gold; SPG- Gold; Hyatt-Plat;UA- 1P
i would definitely go with the sheraton centro historico. excellent new hotel. good location. second choice, w hotel. many dining options in an up-scale area. would strongly caution against the sheraton maria isabel. shabby hotel. zona rosa was a hot tourist area about 10-15 years ago. now, it's known mainly for its prostitution and strip clubs. spend your time in la condesa/roma and zocalo.

the sheraton centro historico is right next to the bus-stop of the red, double-decker tourist bus. this is an on-off bus that takes you through the zocalo, polanco, chapultepec, and condesa area. great for sight-seeing. 2 hrs. long if you never get off the bus.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 7:49 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
Thanks all - this is why I come here

What I read here rings so much truer than do the guidebooks, all of which praise the Maria Isabel and few - if any - mention the recent decline of either the Zona Rosa or the hotel.

Thanks to all of you, we've settled on the Sheraton Centro Historico and will now hope for the best.

I've been surprised by how little - relatively speaking - information is available, here and elsewhere, about what Starwood calls ""Latin America."
(I thought Mexico was in "North America," or at least "Central America" but geography was never my strongest suit...) That's one more reason I find this forum so useful.

If anyone has any additional information about the Sheraton CH; (and/or how they treat the Platinum guests) the Centro Historico neighborhood, pro and con; good places nearby to eat; sightseeing from there, etc. I'd be grateful.

I'll post a review when I'm back.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:01 am

Right across the street from the Sheraton Centro Historico, on the other side of Alameda park, is a tiny museum housing a terrific mural by Diego Rivera. The mural was originally in the lobby of the Hotel del Prado, which was irreparably damaged in the 1985 earthquake. Fortunately, the mural survived. It portrays dozens of Mexican historical and allegorical figures, and is quite fascinating. There are explanatory panels in Spanish and English pointing out each figure and its significance.
Old Feb 25, 2005, 11:54 am

Thumbs up

I just returned from a 4 day stay at the Sheraton Centro Historico. The hotel is beautiful and in a good area of town to see the sights. However, there aren't many good restaurants within walking distance.

The front desk didn't recognize me as a Platinum on check-in but quickly fixed that and offered the plat amenity. However, there was no room upgrade provided. I did get 2 fruit plates though from the General Manager which was a nice touch. The 2nd day, I asked for an upgrade and was given a corner room (not a suite, but a standard corner). It was a very nice room. Additionally, I received coupons good for breakfast every morning. The buffet is great!

Overall, a great property I plan to visit again!
Old Feb 25, 2005, 8:17 pm

My mom and I just returned from Mexico City 2 weeks ago, having redeemed points for a 4 night stay at the Maria Isabel Sheraton. While our stay was free, we were upgraded to a two room suite on the 4th floor of the hotel. The bedroom itself was remodeled, however, the living room was not. Serious dirt has been tracked in and was embedded in the carpet in the living room. Overall, the room was fine, I was not expecting an upgrade on a free Platinum stay, but the condition of the living room left much to be desired.

I've visited Mexico City 4 times since 1990 and would agree that the Zona Rosa has gone from being a fun tourist area to a very run down and seedy area. During the day it seemed fine, however at night, the area warranted some caution. The location of the Maria Isabel Sheraton is somewhat ideal. You can take a minibus directly to the Polanco district or to Chapultapec Park, though the park is a short walk away. Rather than taking cabs, since we had been cautioned against taking them, we rode the metro and the minibuses to our destinations, which included "Bazaar Sabado" in San Angel, which I highly recommend, but it is only open in Saturdays, as well as the Cathedral of the "Virgen de Guadalupe" which is an impressive shrine to the Virgin Mary, whether you beleive the story or not. We took the mini bus to the beautiful Opera House, with its glass Tiffany curtain ... don't miss the "Metropolitan" metro stop on the left hand side of the building, direct from Paris, France. The interior of the Tile House, now a Sanbourns restaurant is beautiful and you can walk around the restaurant/store without having to sit down for an order of Huevos Rancheros, but I'm sure that they would be delicious. The Post Office is a dream and wandering around the "Centro Historico", where the new Sheraton is conveniently located, is a great way to spend a lazy afternoon.

The Sheraton Centro Historico is a great location to view the older buildings of Mexico City, those that were inspired by the Spanish. The Maria Isabel Sheraton is centrally located, though the Metro Stop is a short walk away, unlike the Sheraton Centro Historico. W hotel, in the Polanco district is typical W, trendy, cool and in a fun location. There are loads of shops in this neighborhood, though some of them are European and American chains.

I've not stayed at the 4th property, so I can't comment on it, however, should I stay in Mexico City again, I would probably choose between the newer Centro Historico Sheraton and the Maria Isabel Sheraton, keeping my fingers crossed that I am not assigned one of the outdated rooms. They have a Sheraton Towers section of the hotel, my guess is that those rooms are much nicer, even though I had a suite. For those that are Starbuck fans, there is one located in this hotel and one just steps away at the Centro Historico Sheraton.

Do go with the authorized airport taxis, it cost me 200 Pesos from the airport to the hotel, which I felt was reasonable. On our return to the airport, the cost was the same.

Have a great trip!
Old Feb 26, 2005, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by raffy
Do go with the authorized airport taxis, it cost me 200 Pesos from the airport to the hotel, which I felt was reasonable. On our return to the airport, the cost was the same.
Yeah, I paid 205 pesos from the airport to the Centro Historico on my arrival. Took me in a nice suburban. I later learned that the price for a taxi is normally about 110 pesos if you take a normal car. The return to the airport is even cheaper if you go flag a taxi yourself rather than use one waiting at the hotel. We got ours for about 50 pesos.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:00 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Red_13
Yeah, I paid 205 pesos from the airport to the Centro Historico on my arrival. Took me in a nice suburban. I later learned that the price for a taxi is normally about 110 pesos if you take a normal car. The return to the airport is even cheaper if you go flag a taxi yourself rather than use one waiting at the hotel. We got ours for about 50 pesos.
This is certainly true (that taking standard cabs can be up to 70% cheaper in Mex, DF); however, as someone who travels there with some frequency --- I will reiterate here the numerous (practically omnipresent) warnings about taking regaular cabs in Mexico City. While the vast majority of them are perfectly safe, sadly all too many of them are tempted by the promise of easy money. Without going into details here, I am personally aware of some terrible incidents affecting close friends and colleagues who were trying to save a few pesos and went with regular cabs. My advice: DON'T DO IT. Even my colleagues who live there don't ride in them out of the same concerns. Ultimately, it is up to you what degree of risk you're willing to take to save a few dollars.

As for hotel choices there, it's a tough choice. S Maria Isabel has the best, most central location. The W is in trendy Polanco, which is totally not my speed --- might as well be in Palm Beach. And the S Centro Historico is fabulously new and swank, but not in a location that is central for my needs while in Mexico City.
Old Feb 27, 2005, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bostom
I've been surprised by how little - relatively speaking - information is available, here and elsewhere, about what Starwood calls "Latin America."
(I thought Mexico was in "North America," or at least "Central America" but geography was never my strongest suit...)
FWIW, from what I recall from my High School geography, anything south of the US border all the way down to the tip of Chile is "Latin America" (not really a geographic term in this sense, but more cultural). Mexico however is considered in "North America" geographically, with anything south of Mexico being in "Central America".

As for the comments in this thread, I generally agree. I've stayed at all three hotels many times each. The Maria Isabel is just kind of run down. Even the Towers rooms. The whole place has a "dank" odor to it if you ask me. The Centro Historico is much newer & nicer, and to me the location is better. The W is exactly what you'd expect it to be in a very nice safe neighborhood, if not as accessible. Personally, the Centro Historico is my choice.

As for Platinum arrival amenities in Mexico, these are generally given after the fact when you call SPG customer service to have them posted. I'd say I'm offered them 1 out of every 5 times, and the points will actually post about 1/3 of the times they're actually offered. In other words, you'll be getting the points when you call SPG later.

For Platinum upgrades, at the W they're non-existent, maybe a Towers room if you're lucky at the Maria Isabel (where you will be directed to check in at the Towers section. Very handy after you've waited a while in a line at the general checkin desk to be told they can't check you in and send you off with yet ANOTHER bellboy to collect a tip to walk you there ), and I've had 50/50 luck at the Centro Historico with getting corner "oversized" rooms (not suites). Ironically, as a Plat, the JW Marriott gives me suites at least 50% of the time on the Marriott Rewards "no suites" program.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Feb 27, 2005 at 3:55 pm
Old Feb 28, 2005, 1:44 pm
MEX

Programs: HH-Gold; SPG- Gold; Hyatt-Plat;UA- 1P
The taxi to the Sheraton Centro Historico from the airport should be about 110 pesos. There are two authorized taxi booths right next to each other as you exit customs (there are two others outside of the airport). The taxi booth on the left only sells tickets in larger suburbans, and will run 200+. The ticket booth on the right is the one you want (assuming you are in a party of 3 or less) and will cost you around 110. Representatives in both will call you over and try to get your business; people are routinely tricked into paying for the more pricey suburban transport.

Regarding restaurants near the hotel, El Cardenal, on the first floor of the hotel, is very good. It has quickly built a reputation in Mexico City for its excellent authentic Mexican food. I hardly recommend hotel food, but this is truly different.

For atmosphere, I would recommend the Opera Bar, two blocks from the Bellas Artes (Palace of Fine Arts) and about a 10 minute walk from the hotel. It's fairly casual, though some people wear suits, and has been around since the 1800's (a bullet hole from Pancho Villa, supposedly, is lodged in the ceiling). Mariachis play at tables as you eat. The food isn't fantastic- I recommend the steak- but the environment is. People generally eat dinner after 8 p.m., before then restaurants are generally very quiet.

I would call ahead and ask for the corner room facing the Alameda park. You should have no trouble getting this room as a Plat, and maybe will have luck upgrading to a suite. Also, Plats usually receive 2 coupons for martinis at the lobby bar. If interested, ask for them when you are checking in.

As the above poster mentioned, do not take taxis off the street. Just not worth the gamble. When you are out and about, ask for a "sitio" cab.
Old Feb 28, 2005, 2:23 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Just an update :

MEX airport is under huge renovations which mean :

a) Leaving Customs from North America/Europe one should head to the RIGHT and once out there are two booths for taxis. Do ask costs for your destinations at both of them. One should charge HALF what the other is charging. No need to pay double, right ? A taxi from the airport to Sheraton Maria Isabel should cost you 142 pesos (13 USD).

b) Getting back to the airport: No need to pay ridiculous high fares but no need to be afraid of getting robbed with all the luggage and credit cards, right ? Ask for Taximex - you can phone them directly at 9171-8888 in Mexico City. They are top professionals and work for the majour Mexican companies. A ride to the airport should cost you an average of 99 pesos (9 USD) and you can know the exact amount while on the phone asking for a taxi.
Old Mar 1, 2005, 7:11 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
This Is Great Stuff

Again, thanks. Two quick questions:

It's an award stay: what're the chances for an upgrade on what are not revenue nights? For that matter, what's the policy? I've seldom, if ever, had a pure awards stay: we usually use 'em to extend or enhance paid nights on vacation. I read that free night = standard room: I have, OTOH, been upgraded on free nights, more often in years gone by than lately, to be sure.

And does the Sheraton CH have a Club Lounge? As a Platinum member I would presumably have access? Coffee service? Red mentions coupons for a breakfast buffet - in the dining room?

And clearly from it's coverage here, taxi safety is an issue. Mexican friends here in Cambridge for a year urge me to do just what you suggest: avoid the non-sitio cabs at all costs.

I appreciate all the good advice: keep it coming!
Old Mar 1, 2005, 1:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
It's an award stay: what're the chances for an upgrade on what are not revenue nights? For that matter, what's the policy? I appreciate all the good advice: keep it coming!
From what I know, as a Plat, you should NOT expect tremendous UG options in this city. All of the hotels are just fine, but do no bend over backwards for Plats. I know that the S-CH has a number of long term residential suites (think Residence Inn) that are apparently not offered as Plat UGs. Most report having some luck (after asking for it) getting corner rooms overlooking the Alameda. FWIW, the have a property specific website that is almost never publicized. It is: www.sheratonmexico.com (I have found that it works about 70% of the time.)

I can report that Plats are barred from the Towers Floors and the Towers Lounge as a matter of general practice at the S-Maria Isabel. I think this is in poor form and I question how this conforms to the Starwood UG policy for Plats. I can assure you that it is the rare circumstance that Plats end up on the three Towers floors at this hotel. Wish it weren't so and I don't know how they get away with it.

Can't say much about the W.
Old Mar 6, 2005, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Again, thanks. Two quick questions:

It's an award stay: what're the chances for an upgrade on what are not revenue nights? For that matter, what's the policy? I've seldom, if ever, had a pure awards stay: we usually use 'em to extend or enhance paid nights on vacation. I read that free night = standard room: I have, OTOH, been upgraded on free nights, more often in years gone by than lately, to be sure.

And does the Sheraton CH have a Club Lounge? As a Platinum member I would presumably have access? Coffee service? Red mentions coupons for a breakfast buffet - in the dining room?

And clearly from it's coverage here, taxi safety is an issue. Mexican friends here in Cambridge for a year urge me to do just what you suggest: avoid the non-sitio cabs at all costs.

I appreciate all the good advice: keep it coming!
I travel frequently to Mexico City, and stayed at the Sheraton Centro Historico last week, and will stay there again during the week of 3/14/05. As most have said in this thread, this is a very nice and modern hotel, on par with most Westin, so you did well to book here, and the Sheraton Maria Isabel is to be avoided at all costs.

As a Plat, they should upgrade you to a junior suite (if one is available) which overlooks the Alameda and the Palacios de Bellas Artes, but you may need to ask for it, and they usually send up a very nice fruit plate of mangoes, peaches, grapes, nectarines, etc - very nice touch. They do not have a Club lounge, but will give you vouchers for a nice buffet breakfast. No free water bottles in the room either, so buy them elsewhere instead of spending 300 pesos for a small bottle of water.

You can email the GM, Mr. Siahou Sitton at [email protected] and tell him about your upcoming stay, that you're a Plat, and that you would like an upgrade and see what happens. Your change of being upgraded on an award stay is as good as a revenue stay, IMHO, since you are a Plat.

The Centro Historico has a fantastic wine bar, operated by the Riedel Glass Co., and you should try their surprisingly good selection of Mexican, Chilean, and Argentinean red and white wines by the glass, which are not only superb but far less expensive than the French, Spanish, Italian or American counterparts.

You already know about the hazards of taking taxis in Mexico City, so I won't belabor the point, but to me, spending another US$5 or US$10 for peace of mind in a private taxi is money well spent for peace of mind and a hassle free vacation in a rather "dangerous" country for non-native. Be EXTRA CAREFUL in very trendy and hip Polanco at all times of the day and watch for pickpocket, and do not walk in the evening in the area around the Centro Historico -always to hotel arranged taxi in the evening. You will see private security guards everywhere, and there is a reason for that.

Since I travel on company business, I always have a car service pick me up at the airport and drive me around town, and you can arrange such a car service with the hotel concierge. Expect to pay about 1,000 pesos for the use of a car and driver for an entire day anywhere in Mexico City, and that's not too bad since the traffic jams are legendary and the taxi meter can run out of control quick, and if you are a party of 3 or more, then it's a great deal.

If you want to buy tequila to take home, DO NOT buy it at the airport as it is a pure rip-off. If you are a Costco member, go to the Costco in Polanco, where the prices for premium tequilas are shockingly low, or you can go a liquor chain called La Divina (I think) where the average Mexicans buy their booze. I recommend Don Julio Reposado or Anejo, which is very expensive and hard to get in the USA. Other good brands are Herradura, Cent Anos, etc.

It may be too late now, but if you want a guaranteed suite, you can book your award stay at the Sheraton Suites Santa Fe, which is about 25 minutes from the center of town, in the Santa Fe business district, which has a feel of being in Houston or Miami. Here, you are far from the tourist attractions, but if you have arranged for the car service that I mentioned earlier, then it's won't matter. As a Plat, you may upgraded to a Master Suite, which is really a one-bedroom apartment of palatial proportions (all the other rooms are 2 rooms suites, but less grand). I stayed here a lot last year since it's close to my local office, but I want a change of pace and that's why have been staying at the Centro Historico lately.

Enjoy your stay in Mexico, and let me know if you will be in town at the same time as me or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.