Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:36 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Wow -- short notice!! So much of the answer to your question really depends on what you like in a hotel. The Sheraton Maria Isabel is a long standing tradition in this great city. However, it is not glitzy and its 1960s architecture is evident most everywhere one looks. That said, it's well maintained and well run, in my experience. For most business travellers to MEX who also want to have the freedom to have some fun at night strolling or enjoying a wide array of good restaurants within a reasonble (10-15 minute) walk, this location is ideal.

Now, let's move on and talk about the very new and also very well run Sheraton Centro Historico. This place is swank and fabulous. They have a great Mexico City "institution" hotel in their lobby that does a screaming business at dinner. The location is also good, very close to the Bellas Artes. However, for my money, I'm happier with the immediate surroundings of the Maria Isabel. Others might disagree.

Lastly, the W Hotel is, of course, the swankiest of the lot and is, by reports, exceptionally well managed. It is located in the trendy Polanco neighborhood sort of across from Chapultepec Park. If you are into the W groove and would enjoy that sort of environment, go for it. Personally, this is not at all where I want to be when I'm in MEX. It just feels way too Americanized-hip for me to even want to consider it, but to each his/her own.

My summation, then, is thus: Starwood does a solid job in MEX. None of the properties mentioned will pose problems for you. In other words, all are good choices. However, they all have significant and distinct personalities. Match their offerings to what you're looking for in this monstrous city and you'll be fine.

Mexico City is one of my most favorite places in the world, yet so many global travellers know precious little, if anything, about it. Buen viaje and be safe.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 7:44 pm

The interior and rooms of the Sheraton Centro Historico are probably best, but it has been a while since I've been at Maria Isabel.

I found the room at the W to be quite uncomfortable. I didn't like the lack of a comfortable chair/couch. My room just had a bench near the desk.

I also found the color combo (red/white) not too relaxing. Also the bathtub/shower being round and in the middle of the bathroom with the hammock was a bit much for my taste but may appeal to yours
Old Aug 15, 2006, 8:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Welcome to FT. I'm in Mexico City now and have been here for about 7 weeks and will remain here for another 5 (unfortunately I'm not staying in ANY points earning hotel ). From the replies above you should be able to get a good feel about the Starwoods here. I've only stayed at the W in Polanco and thought it was great. Service, coolness, decor, etc. were all great.

There is also a Sheraton Suites located in Santa Fe which is about 15-20 minutes from Polanco by taxi (I can see this hotel right now from my apartment window). It's a very nice and new hotel but it's in a very corporate park type area with not much to do in terms of sightseeing.

As you might be aware there have been political demonstrations going on throughout the main parts of the city. These have been causing significant disruptions to day-to-day business and also for tourists due to the difficulty of being able to easily manuever through the city. You can learn more if you go through the recent posts in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...9&page=7&pp=15

Any other questions, please ask here or send me a PM.
Old Aug 16, 2006, 7:56 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Within the last year I have stayed at Centro Historico, W and Maria Isabel. And would rank them in that order. Centro Historico is upscale and well located for the colonial part of the city (Bellas Artes/Zocalo), the W is okay but (as with anyplace that tried too hard to be trendy) already out-of-style and in the pretty unremarkable (and overrated IMHO) neighborhood of Polanco, and Maria Isabel is, I think, in the worst location (on Reforma north of the Zona Rosa which has fallen on hard times) and has the absolute worst rooms.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta-Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Starwood-Platinum;
The two properties I've stayed in Mexico City are the Sheraton Historico and the Maria Isabel. No lounge at the Historico but they offer a free contintental breakfast to platinums which you can upgrade. As a platinum I've always got a junior suite with a great view. The Maria Isabela has a great lounge and you should be upgraded to a suite with not much of a view. There is an official taxi stand at the airport which provides regulated cabs to the city. Taxi price is slightly cheaper to the Historico (which is the newer hotel). In addition usually the price of the Historico is slightly cheaper. There is also more sights closer to the Historico than the Isabel - depending on how much time you have.
You can also stay at the airport in the Hilton but that we only be useful if you do not want or need to go to the city or if you have limited time at the airport.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 11:19 am

Programs: AC MM
Originally Posted by Gramercy Flyer
The two properties I've stayed in Mexico City are the Sheraton Historico and the Maria Isabel. No lounge at the Historico but they offer a free contintental breakfast to platinums which you can upgrade. As a platinum I've always got a junior suite with a great view. The Maria Isabela has a great lounge and you should be upgraded to a suite with not much of a view. There is an official taxi stand at the airport which provides regulated cabs to the city. Taxi price is slightly cheaper to the Historico (which is the newer hotel). In addition usually the price of the Historico is slightly cheaper. There is also more sights closer to the Historico than the Isabel - depending on how much time you have.
You can also stay at the airport in the Hilton but that we only be useful if you do not want or need to go to the city or if you have limited time at the airport.
Thank you very much for the info. I was thinking about the Sheraton Historico and it seems that you would recommend that hotel too. According to the SPG website the Historico is 15 minutes from the airport and the Maria Isabela 30 minutes.
I looked at the option of the Hilton, though the Hilton is $ 65.00 more on the days I would be travelling. How much would the taxi fare be, I read there are 3 colours and reccomended is at least the middle one, whichever colour that is?
I don't really have much need to go to the city but have never been to Mexico City. It might be nice to get a feeling for it.
Is the area around the Historico save? I have travelled to "hotspots" around the world and am aware that Mexico City is one of the most unsafe in the world.
I wouldn't mind a walk through the old part of town and that would be during the day.
Old Feb 25, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I find Mexico City to be one of the world's most incredible, exciting, dazzling, terrifying, edgy, progressive places. I would strongly advise you to do aggressive research about MEX if you're planning to scout out on your own.

I've stayed at both hotels and both have their advantages. I'm not sure I'd say either is better located than the other -- indeed, the much older Maria Isabel is literally across the street from the old Zona Rosa. Some love it over there, some hate it. YMMV.

In any case, if you speak Spanish well, you'll be lightyears ahead of those who don't in this city. Enjoy the city -- again, I strongly recommend that you do as much research as you can before going (check out fodors.com, frommers.com, igougo.com, etc, etc, etc) and gather a wealth of info from others.

Safe travels!
Old Feb 26, 2007, 10:47 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Starwood-Platinum;
Taxi fare is regulated - there is an official stand at the airport - you buy a voucher and give in to the taxi. Price is about $20 US to the Historico. You can take the subway also - price would be about 50 cents. It involves changing once to get to the center. As far as safety is concerned Mexico City is not particularly more dangerous than any large city - just keep on guard. There are a lot of police in the old town area by the historico. You can walk to the Cathedral and the Old Aztec Temple (Templo Mayor) in about 20 minutes and there are numerous museums in the area as well as a number of good restaruants. I'd recommend seeing the city - it's quite interesting.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Another alternative would be to stay at the W in the Polanco section of town for one of your nights, and the Historico for the other. You’d get a varied impression of the city that way. Polanco is a little more upscale, has some wonderful restaurants, and the staff at the W was very helpful. It’s a terrific city, and you should consider giving it a little more time, if you can.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:48 pm

Programs: SK *S, IC Plat, Hz 5*
Sheraton Centro Historico is a great hotel with a great location. I stayed there a couple of times in the fall, and when I go back to Mexico City I will for sure stay there again.

Cheers
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
I have just checked-in the Santa Isabel. Upgrade was not offered, but when requested and after checking with the manager I got a Junior Suite in 9th floor as the better room available.

Then checked in spg.com and found a corner suite in the towers level. Reserved the room with rack rate!!! Called the manager and told him I found he was cheating and that there was a corner suite in the towers level available. I told him I expect an upgrade to the best standard suite, except the pent-house; and that was that suite.

Towers floors are from 17 to 19 (AFAIK now) and they have LCD or Plasma TVs (couldn't check). He finally gave me a dual room corner suite (two doors and a big TV) in the 7th floor, with Reforma Ave view. He also offered a standard room in a towers level, which I declined (I should have accepted that as I really don't need a suite).

He told me that as a Plat member I have access to the lounge in Towers level and to the breakfast. I will check today and post back later.

500 points amenity was offered and accepted at check-in. No complaints about that. However I don't like to beg for an upgrade. I feel after spending 110 nights a year in SPG props I deserve it without a word.

Cheers!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by bungee77
I guess the Centro Historico or the W it is. Thanks for the recco's!

Although the Starwood Concierge does tell me that the Maria Isabel has been recently renovated in 2003. Dont want to take my chances there tho...
Only the Tower levels which are very difficult to get as an upgrade for Plat members.

W is the best located. CH is the more spacious. I like the W but if you get upgraded to a corner suite with a Yacuzy at the CH, it may be worth more than the W!
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by leandrorar

W is the best located.

Says who? When I am in Mexico, DF, I really don't want to be in Polanco. I feel like I'm in any other metropolitan global city with overpriced services and Porsche dealers.

I'm a fan of the two Sheratons, both of which are well located.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by leandrorar
He told me that as a Plat member I have access to the lounge in Towers level and to the breakfast. I will check today and post back later.
Cheers!
Now THAT'S news!!! For what seems eternity, this hotel's line has always been no lounge access for Plats unless you've paid for Towers Rooms. On occasion, that would morph into a very weird, "Plats can access the lounge, but are not eligible for the comp snacks or breakfast there without paying a flat incremental fee."

Now you report that the policy appears to be that the Towers Lounge is now open to all Plat guests, regardless of what room they're in. I look forward to your further report.

My last trip here, the Towers Lounge was exceptionally well run and staffed. Breakfast was excellent.
Old Mar 4, 2007, 6:56 pm

Plats welcome to Towers Lounge in the Santa Isabel Mexico City

This is confirmed. I got to the 18th floor and got access to the exec lounge in the amenity time. Was asked the room number, and instead, I said I was Plat (didn't have to waive the card). He granted access to the lounge and told me I have free breakfast in the same place tomorrow morning.

Amenities run from 6PM to 10PM. Towers floors are from 14th to 18th. He told me I should have accepted the towers standard room instead of any suite below floor 14th. He's right, my "suite" is the worst suite I ever got in my life. It's in fact two rooms contatenated.

Pool closed 7PM (opens again 7AM). Seems to have a nice view of the city.

Overall this hotel is not recommended for those that look for technology and renovated rooms. At least, if you are not sure you are getting a Towers level room. Sheraton Centro Histórico is blocks away and it does look a lot pretier. CH also has free internet while here is USD17/day.

Have a nice stay (anywhere else!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.