Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in or near Mexico City

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2004, 1:55 pm

Programs: SPG - Platinum, Hertz - 5 Star
If you decide on the Sheraton Maria Isabel, be sure to get a towers room above the 15th floor. Otherwise you'll be in a room that looks like a no tell motel from the 60's.

The newly renovated rooms in the tower are quite nice, and often includes a very good complimentary breakfast buffet in the executive lounge.

You will be next door to the US Embassy, Ford Motors and across the street from Zona Rosa which is relatively safe and teeming with little bars and restaurants. There are more locals in Polanco, but I don't like the dark streets!

DF
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:33 pm

I have only stayed in the Centro Historico last labor day and had a great stay. Very "cool" and it could easily pass for a W. As a Gold I had a high room with a great view. The area is safe and it is close to the metro, the Palacio de Bellas Artes, some museums. You could also walk to Zocalo from there. This hotel is very new. I think it opened last summer.

I am staying at the W when I return in 2 weeks. I am sure it will be an excellent hotel. Polanco is a very upscale area of Mexico city and you will find a lot of great restaurants. The zoo, Anthropology museum and chapultepec park are in this area.

I have pictures of the room and view if you e-mail me

Keba
Old Dec 21, 2004, 4:32 pm

Mexico City Sheraton Advice Needed

I am booked at Sheraton Centro Historico for $140 for 1 week. Sheraton Maria Isabel Tower rooms are available for $195 for 5 nites (SPG50), then $169 for the 2 remaining weekend nite. Does anyone think it is worth the extra expense to stay at Maria Isabel Tower room vs. Centro Historico Classic room? I am only SPG Preferred Plus, is there any chance of upgrade? Thanks in advance to all.
Old Dec 21, 2004, 5:11 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by aimela
I am booked at Sheraton Centro Historico for $140 for 1 week. Sheraton Maria Isabel Tower rooms are available for $195 for 5 nites (SPG50), then $169 for the 2 remaining weekend nite. Does anyone think it is worth the extra expense to stay at Maria Isabel Tower room vs. Centro Historico Classic room? I am only SPG Preferred Plus, is there any chance of upgrade? Thanks in advance to all.
Aimela --

I think the bigger issue here is the REASON you're going to be in Mex, DF, in the first place. While these hotels are only 2 miles or so apart, they are in significantly different neighborhoods. Only you knows where you'd like to stay in terms of location. The bottom line is that the Maria Isabel is a much older hotel with not a great reputation for upgrades. However, it has a great location.

The Centro Historico is spanking new with reportedly fabulous and large rooms. Soaring lobby with swanky service. Location is not bad, but not nearly as central to things as Maria Isabel.

So, you've got an older (but okay) hotel in a great location or a snazzy new hotel in a lesser location. Confused??!?!?
Old Dec 22, 2004, 6:52 am

Centro Historico

I can only comment on the Centro Historico and The W (I know you didn't ask) because I have never stayed at the other property.

The Centro Historico is in an excellent location for a tourist. It is in a safe area and is within easy walking distance of a lot of attractions and two different Metro lines. As mentioned above, the hotel is less than 2 years old and is beautifully designed. As a SPG gold I got a high floor and a great view. I think a platinum would get one of the larger corner rooms.

The W is in the most upscale area of Mexico City (Polanco) and is also close to some great museums / zoo and Chapultapec Park/Castle. I also got a high floor and excellent view as a gold. The design of the hotel is spectacular and the service was excellent.

For a first time visitor to the city I would recommend the Centro Historico. Have a wonderful time!

Keba
Old Dec 22, 2004, 9:27 am

Centro Historico all the way.

Either hotel is in a good location. The CH hotel is much better than the Maria Isabel. You can take a taxi to the other hotel's area if you want to sightsee there.

In my opinion, it is not worth the extra expense. Stay at the CH and you will have a very good memory of your Starwood experience in Mexico City. Stay at the MI and your experience will be average.
Old Dec 22, 2004, 12:46 pm

Programs: Qatar Platinum, Etihad Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Aimela,

I just checked out for the Sheraton Centro Historico (SCH) two days ago. I was not impressed with the service standard and staff attitude at all. Extremely disappointing service and although the hotel is relatively new, the maintenance is very poor.
I'm a Platinum and I WAS NOT upgraded to the best room available on both of my stays as it seems that the hotel is getting around SPG Platinum obligations by classifying corner Deluxe rooms as corner Suites.
Staying at SCH is the most disappointing thing I had during my three-week travel in Mexico.

Having said that, I will not discourage you totally from staying at SCH since you are maybe constrained by staying at Starwood hotels. Out of the three Starwood hotels in Mexico City, I only tried SCH and W Mexico.

May I recommend the following:

- Spend three nights at SCH since it's located in the Downtown i.e. of proximity to several sightseeing attractions. The area is relatively safe and as mentioned above close to two metro stations. I would highly recommend trying the restaurant at the SCH. It's exceptionally good and very popular. To ensure prompt and good service, I would suggest dining as early as 1PM as the restaurant gets packed after 1:30.

- Spend the remaining period at the W Mexico. It's a fantastic hotel with a superior service. It's very close to the Anthropological Museum (a must see) and the posh neighborhood, Polanco. Location-wise, W Mexico is much closer to the cities night life, malls and restaurants.

If you find W Mexico too expensive, then I would recommend spending the remaining period at Maria Isabel rather than SCH. Although I haven't been to Maria Isabel, I don't think it can be worse that SCH. Even if Maria Isabel turns to be as bad as Maria Isabel, it would be better since it can be slightly cheaper and closer to the night life than SCH.
Old Dec 27, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, WN Companion Pass
Recently spent a few nights on business at Centro Historico and it was fantastic. The wine bar restaurant has much better food than the big restaurant - I'd eat there before anywhere else. Hotel's drivers are good too. Ask for one named Jesus.
Old Jan 22, 2005, 6:36 pm

Having lived in Mexico City for the last 5 years, I would definitely recommend staying in Polanco if you are staying by yourself. It is a much safer neighborhood relatively speaking. The Sheraton Maria Isabela is located next to the US Embassy and very near Zona Rosa, however, Zona Rosa is not what it used to be. Polanco is the new "zona rosa" as far as bars and restaurants. I have not stayed in a hotel in Centro Historico, but, I wouldn't recommend walking around outside by yourself. Even in pairs be careful. My top picks, starwood aside, are the Marriott in Polanco, the W in Polanco, the Nikko in Polanco (in that order). The Sheraton Suites in Santa Fe, Mexico City (on the southwest side of the city) is also nice and in a much safer area than even Polanco, but there isn't as much within walking distance as in the city center areas. I would be more than happy to give any specific information to anyone interested in Mexico City. It is a wonderful city and has a lot to offer.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 9:07 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Sheraton Maria Isabel is known NOT to respect Platinum perks, other than check-in at the Tower section and access to lounge.

It is a old hotel and renovations have not happened as they should. I'd say it's a crappy 4 star hotel, just because of the glamour 'Sheraton'. With a different name I'd call it a good three star property.

Both Sheraton CH and W are new and nice properties.

If you're on a tight budget Priceline is known to get this hotel or JW Marriott for very convenient prices .

Personally, once Sheraton CH has never easily offered me any perk as a Platinum on a rack rate, I found the Priceline route extremely satisfactory, with the chance of staying at the very upscale JW Marriott in Polanco, next to the W.
Old Jan 23, 2005, 7:15 pm

I have stayed in all three Mexico City properties. The W is in Polanco a nice location with bars, clubs, restaurants. The Sheraton Maria Isabel is in close by Zocalo and the Sheraton Historico is in the historic district. I WOULD NEVER GO BACK to the Maria Isabel. Its old and rooms are not at all up to the mark. The much newer S/Historico is almost as good as the W in the quality of the rooms and the historic district is definitely walkable with lots of sight-seeing. Enjoy!
Old Feb 20, 2005, 6:54 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, AA 2 mm EXP, Citibank Platinum...
March in Mexico, DF

We're cashing in the AA "fly three, fly free" scrip before the promo ends 4/15 and I've booked ourselves into a four-night trip to Mexico City the second weekend in March.

From rates and location, the Maria Isabell(a) Sheraton looks the most central and well-priced to boot. Absent the search function it's difficult to know if this would be a wise choice for first-time tourists.

Anybody have any experience with the four *wood hotels, what to do for a couple of days, and how best to arrange the ride in from the airport? My default is to have the hotel make the pickup arrangements, or Boston Coach if they go there, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Muchas gracias
Old Feb 20, 2005, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Bostom
We're cashing in the AA "fly three, fly free" scrip before the promo ends 4/15 and I've booked ourselves into a four-night trip to Mexico City the second weekend in March.

From rates and location, the Maria Isabell(a) Sheraton looks the most central and well-priced to boot. Absent the search function it's difficult to know if this would be a wise choice for first-time tourists.

Anybody have any experience with the four *wood hotels, what to do for a couple of days, and how best to arrange the ride in from the airport? My default is to have the hotel make the pickup arrangements, or Boston Coach if they go there, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Muchas gracias
I think its a good choice - you are right across from the Zona Rosa, which gives you lots of good dining/nightlife options without having to take a cab. Although I haven't been in awhile, I wouldn't want to stay in the Centro because of limited nighttime options w/o a cab, and you don't want to get in a non-"sitio" (hotel-arranged private) cab in the city.

From the airport, just buy a ticket/fare from the booth for a private cab to your hotel. They aren't expensive, and they are safe. Just past immigration.

Your other choice is in Polanco (the W) - its a more upscale area, a bit further from touristy things you may want to do, but not much further. I prefer the Zona Rosa in that its not as nose-up-in-the-air, and with standard precautions, no serious safety issues.
Old Feb 20, 2005, 10:18 pm

I stayed at the Sheraton Centro Historico in December. It's very new, the decor is very modern Westin/W-ish, and the rooms are pretty large. The staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating (as was just about everybody in Mexico City). It's a short walk to the Palacio de Bellas Artes; the Zocalo is another five or ten minutes after that. The Metro is one block from the hotel, and across the street is Alameda park. We also walked to the Zona Rosa, but that is quite a hike. We visited the W, and though it is located in a very nice neighborhood with other fancy hotels, it seemed too out of the way to me. From what I've read on this board, the rooms at the Maria Isabel are very hit or miss. Some are renovated and some are not.

At the airport, definitely get a ticket for a private cab, at the booth to the left just after you exit customs by "pressing the button." (What the hell is with that system in Mexico anyway??) The price to the Centro Historico is 118 pesos, but they will also accept U.S. dollars. Once you have your ticket, you should display it prominently because the other taxi hounds will then leave you alone. When you find the exit to the taxis, a dispatcher will tear off a portion of your ticket and assign a car to you.

As for things to do, I would recommend reading the Moon Handbook on Mexico City. We happened to stumble upon the Palacio Postal (on the corner of Hidalgo and Lazaro Cardenas, right behind the Palacio de Bellas Artes) and I highly recommend a visit. It's the most beautiful post office you will ever see!
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Hi

I'm going to be staying in Mexico City on holiday from May 13th thru 17th. Does anyone have any comments/recommendations for the Starwood hotels out there.

Thanks In Advance
There was a thread on this not too long ago. Here is a summary:
The Sheraton Centor Historico is very nice, relatively new, and close to the city's old part of town (main square, cathedral, etc.). The Sheraton Maria Isabel is close to the Zona Rosa (restaurants, entertainment, etc) but the room quality is spotty. The new W hotel is in the upscale Polanco area, not far from Zona Rosa. It will be more expensive.
The Sheraton Suites is in a business neighborhood in the outskirts of town. Do not bother, it is purely a hotel for business travelers, close to offices but far from anything else.
The selection will depend on what you want to do during the trip and your budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.