Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Repooc17
This thread proves short of Marriott sending cash to its members, nothing will be good enough. Even cash might not be sufficient.
This. I am also frustrated with many aspects of Bonvoy, starting with "Bonvoy". But I'm thrilled to receive a 38 night credit, especially combined with the upcoming promotion that will give even more elite nights. And I'm pretty sure I would have been thrilled if I had received a 25 night credit.

While I agree that the reduction of the Ambassador spending requirement to "only" $14K is one of the weaker points of this announcement, I suspect I am like the vast majority of Marriott elite members in having already accepted that Ambassador is permanently out of reach.

And it's true that Hyatt's 2021 adjustments are even more generous. But this means we now have a choice between trying to achieve status in a generous program, an ultra-generous program, or (my personal favorite) both.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 9:31 pm

Programs: Yes
In the current state of the AMB tier, even $10k minimum spend is a generous appraisal of its value.
uxb, Keyser, MSPeconomist and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
Well, you are welcome to stay more nights to lower the per night spend.
Yes that's how they have designed and shows what they expect out of Ambassadors. Like escape4, I'll probably reach the spend naturally if I choose to give them 65-75 revenue nights (before the double ENCs) and give the remaining 60 to 70 nights to Hyatt where I'm starting from scratch towards full Globalist (not Lite at 30). Generally I like to give all 120-140 loyalty nights to one but with all that's going on and my own learnings, it makes sense to split between two for top-tiers this year.

However I wouldn't recommend someone to go out of their way to try and push to get to $14k AMB spend in 2021. It's clear reading all the comments from multiple threads that Marriott has a lot of work to do to increase the value proposition offered to Ambassador members. There needs to be tangible differentiation between Ambassador and Titanium status if you are going to stipulate $20k requirement in a normal year. Just offering personal ambassadors (non-existent for most of last year and this year so far) and Your24 (some may have been rejected multiple times or even never used it, although I have used it plenty of times with my crazy international flight schedules and do see value), just doesn't cut it for many.

If Marriott makes a real effort to fix the Ambassador status program then I'm sure will see many Titanium members go out of their way to achieve the next level which is really what Marriott wants. They can start by sending a survey to existing Ambassadors and then send one to Titanium members. In any business, first it's important to understand your end-user customer (not hotels) and design a status program from there. Nuff said.
drod, escape4 and jjLDNY like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 10:48 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
While I agree that the reduction of the Ambassador spending requirement to "only" $14K is one of the weaker points of this announcement, I suspect I am like the vast majority of Marriott elite members in having already accepted that Ambassador is permanently out of reach.
And yet $14k could still be fine if they could convince members that benefits at AMB level will be strong in 2022. However this is what I am seeing recently:

My experience from 2019 and prior = personal dedicated ambassador, proactively contacting me about upcoming reservations, organizing special occasions in collaboration with hotels, etc.

2020-2021 = no more dedicated ambassador (so now similar to Hyatt), ambassador simply forwarding my e-mail to hotel (so why does the ambassador exist?), only answering half of my requests (are they sloppy in reading skills?), no response after my e-mail and subsequently they claim IT issue caused email not to reach the hotel, special occasion not recognized and unclear if hotel goofed or if ambassador never sent message despite me asking twice in advance to make sure, etc. etc. etc.

It's just night and day from the past, now it's mistake after mistake. So unless they fix ambassador service, why pay for this? It leaves room upgrades which might be better than Titanium in 2022. But they are asking members to make a leap of faith that they will be, by spending now.

So yes, it makes the $14k the weak point of this announcement, no doubt about it. If people think I am complaining because I do not appreciate that with this announcement I only need 10 nights to renew AMB, then so be it. The night credit is irrelevant for many AMB, so they could have credited 1000 nights instead of 50 nights and it would not change anything. So I am not complaining about the night credit, I am simply ignoring it, many people will face the same hurdle to qualify for AMB with or without the credit so it does not matter. It only matters for people who intend a single stay in a very expensive hotel and will not be able to stay more than a handful of nights during 2021. For those folks, the announcement is great and the value of 50 night credit is significant.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
It sounds like most of you consider achieving Titanium the holy Grail. That you will receive the best Suites in all properties, and with VIP service, that includes a pony to boot.
Rest assured it's not! Besides a few additional benefits I have seen no disconcernable difference between Platinum.
Judging from this promotion a lot of Gold and Platinum will now become Titanium further flooding the market.
YMMV
​​​​​
SPN Lifer, innerspace and ryw like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by anteater
In the current state of the AMB tier, even $10k minimum spend is a generous appraisal of its value.
i agree....with the elite bonus nights, credit card nights & a single upcoming stay that will last almost a month, i will easily cross 100 nights....but i'm still not sure if i want to spend $14k to renew ambassador status....
Old Jan 11, 2021, 11:51 pm

Does anyone know if I have a stay from Feb 1 to April 30, will it automatically count for double points and elite nights?
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by alaskaforlife
Does anyone know if I have a stay from Feb 1 to April 30, will it automatically count for double points and elite nights?
FAQ suggests only if you register for the offer before the stay.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 12:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
It sounds like most of you consider achieving Titanium the holy Grail. That you will receive the best Suites in all properties, and with VIP service, that includes a pony to boot.
Rest assured it's not! Besides a few additional benefits I have seen no disconcernable difference between Platinum.
Judging from this promotion a lot of Gold and Platinum will now become Titanium further flooding the market.
YMMV
​​​​​
In the Marriott model, a platinum will need 50 nights this year to get to Titanium, if Marriott was to reduce the night requirements in half like Hyatt / Hilton, the same person would need only 38. I guess Marriott model is better in that it reduces elite night requirements only for reaching current level and if a person wants to get to the next level, they have to earn the delta night credits.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
was checking my list of reward stays over the next few months....i have 5 booked between march - june....none of the properties are available at off-peak rates yet....is anyone seeing reduced rates or has this not gone into effect at the moment????
Old Jan 12, 2021, 2:26 am

Programs: Thai, Cathay, Lufthansa, Delta, SPG, Hilton, IH, LHW
So this means don't bother to stay with Marriott till the 16th February. Interesting...I'm going to be Platinum with Accor fast in 2021...and than catch up slowly with Bonvoy. If you are LTP, 25 nights in by February....you just need 13 nights (with 2 nights minimum per stay) from 16th Feb till 27th April to re-qualify...not bad on this one! Let see if Titanium is in reach....I'm one more here to find it doesn't really worth it compare to Platinum.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Keyser
was checking my list of reward stays over the next few months....i have 5 booked between march - june....none of the properties are available at off-peak rates yet....is anyone seeing reduced rates or has this not gone into effect at the moment????
It’s in effect, at least at Hawaii properties.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It’s in effect, at least at Hawaii properties.
got it....i see no change for my travel dates in dc, nyc, orlando & boston....maybe its being rolled out slowly....
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by OTPorBust
"We’re also launching the Better Two-gether promotion. You’ll earn double the number of points and Elite Night Credits on stays of two nights or more between February 16 and April 27, 2021. Registration starts soon."
We now have the customary Master Thread created ready for detailed discussion of this promo :

2021 Q1/2 Global Promo 'Better Two-gether' 2x points/nights credit, Feb 16 - Apr 27 - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
YMMV
​​​​​
Yeah, Marriott Titanium is the former SPG Plat in many ways, but still nowhere near as good.
innerspace likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.