Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
its controlled by the individual properties & is based on demand....so they get to decide when to offer off-peak rates....
Are you 100% sure about that? Was this changed since the peak/off-peak program was introduced?
I recalled when this was first launched, what was communicated was that the peak/off-peak dates are determined by Marriott, and that individual properties aren't able to change these on their own.
Has this changed since then?

not at all....off-peak rates have not been reduced....they are the same as before....some properties are offering pointsavers as well combined with the off-peak rates....so the rates may seem lower....but then again, this is no different from any non-promo period....

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
Looks to me like the off peak rates have been reduced by 10% across all category levels

Last edited by pentiumvi; Jan 16, 2021 at 9:59 pm
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Are you 100% sure about that? Was this changed since the peak/off-peak program was introduced?
I recalled when this was first launched, what was communicated was that the peak/off-peak dates are determined by Marriott, and that individual properties aren't able to change these on their own.
Has this changed since then?
not sure if there has been any change....i always recall that individual properties could determine when to offer off-peak rates & it was based on demand....i would be happy to be proven wrong but i don't recall ever reading that marriott would determine peak/off-peak dates....

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...free-nights.mi
Looks to me like the off peak rates have been reduced by 10% across all category levels
i see what you mean....so in theory it should be 10% cheaper to book off-peak rates during the booking period....sounds good but still pales in comparison to the previous 2 promos where off-peak rates were available throughout the booking period....here we are relying on if & when the individual properties want to offer off-peak rates....
Old Jan 17, 2021, 12:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by miloworld
Love how everyone on FT is praising Marriott for being generous, when they default every member in the world as a Marriott credit card holder.
What if I told you the CC is not offered in many countries with rich Marriott presence.
Hear, hear.

Originally Posted by Kacee
You do still get the 50% headstart though.

The trade-off for no credit card is that elite benefits are typically much better ex-US. Status is not often not worth at domestic US properties.
And the trade-off to that trade-off is that the US has significantly more properties to reach the required number of stays.
miloworld and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:18 am

not sure if there has been any change....i always recall that individual properties could determine when to offer off-peak rates & it was based on demand....i would be happy to be proven wrong but i don't recall ever reading that marriott would determine peak/off-peak dates....
Went and dug up some travel blog posts back when the peak/off-peak awards were launched.

"..peak and off-peak dates are determined by an algorithm at the program level and will be adjusted monthly “to reflect market conditions” per a statement from Marriott — individual properties aren’t able to change these on their own.."
https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...icing-arrives/

Now.... whether what they wrote about what Marriott said back in 2019 is still accurate today.....
Old Jan 17, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Went and dug up some travel blog posts back when the peak/off-peak awards were launched.

"..peak and off-peak dates are determined by an algorithm at the program level and will be adjusted monthly “to reflect market conditions” per a statement from Marriott — individual properties aren’t able to change these on their own.."
https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...icing-arrives/

Now.... whether what they wrote about what Marriott said back in 2019 is still accurate today.....
interesting....i have spoken with a number of managers at different properties who have confirmed the opposite....they said they themselves determine how many rooms they will offer for redemption, what days will be peak or off peak....this is further evident from the fact that 2 properties in the same category, in the same location, offering similar rates on the same day, continue to differ on days they offered standard or off-peak rates...

marriott also had a policy whereby if a standard room was available then the property would offer it for redemption stays....but this is no longer the case anymore....i would be extremely surprised if the individual properties could not determine what days they would offer redemption rates at what levels....
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
marriott also had a policy whereby if a standard room was available then the property would offer it for redemption stays....but this is no longer the case anymore....i would be extremely surprised if the individual properties could not determine what days they would offer redemption rates at what levels....
This has been eviscerated by allowing properties to choose what Marriott describes as "a limited number" of blackout dates. Ironically, Marriott calls this its "No Blackout Date Policy."
SPN Lifer, Keyser, volabam and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:45 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
hmmm " peak and off-peak dates are determined by an algorithm at the program level and will be adjusted monthly to reflect market conditions ", either the algorithm is so benign and trivial that most hotel managers can manipulate it OR the "algorithm" is just that properties request a peak/.off peak date distribution and the answer is always yes .. I am always skeptical when such vague wordings as algorithm .is being used in corporate communications ... usually a euphemism for arbitrary
SPN Lifer, Keyser, volabam and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by X-ON
hmmm " peak and off-peak dates are determined by an algorithm at the program level and will be adjusted monthly to reflect market conditions ", either the algorithm is so benign and trivial that most hotel managers can manipulate it OR the "algorithm" is just that properties request a peak/.off peak date distribution and the answer is always yes .. I am always skeptical when such vague wordings as algorithm .is being used in corporate communications ... usually a euphemism for arbitrary
Yeah the same way that properties have "no control" over the SNA process
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Properties don’t get paid more or less depending on the number of points to redeem for a given night. The algorithm is for Marriott’s benefit to spike the price on days where the data shows they end up paying the property the ADR for your point stay because occupancy was above the 9X% threshold.

Hotels have their own mechanisms to limit or prevent redemptions altogether on certain dates. On dates where they do allow you to redeem the number of points required isn’t really of much consequence to them.

In general most properties in a given area follow more or less the same peak calendar. There was also a major recalibration of that calendar a few weeks back that saw many off peak dates shift to normal or peak, and normal dates shift to peak.

Based on that I think Marriott’s claim that it’s handled at the program level is pretty solid. It’s for their own benefit after all. They’re paying the properties for your award stays.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Jan 17, 2021 at 3:33 pm
Old Jan 18, 2021, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
This has been eviscerated by allowing properties to choose what Marriott describes as "a limited number" of blackout dates. Ironically, Marriott calls this its "No Blackout Date Policy."
No more than 365 (366 in leap year) days per calendar year are allowed to be blacked out by properties.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 4:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by volabam
No more than 365 (366 in leap year) days per calendar year are allowed to be blacked out by properties.
Nah, its really no blackout day policy, however hotel just allow 1 room for point redemption for those supposedly "blacked out" night
volabam likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by mileageking
So existing ambassadors will get 50 nights, correct? For the extra 50 nights (for total of 100 towards ambassador qualification) they need to spend US$14k which equates to US$280/night (excluding taxes and some charges). Normally it's 100 nights and $20k so $200/night.

So by reducing elite requirement by 50% for all members, ambassador would be the worst hit as our spend requirement per night increased from $200 to $280 (40% increase per night).
Or if you consider your expenditure at $200 per night as fair for ambassador level, you can stay for 70 nights and attain your goal. A 30% reduction in the number of nights
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:44 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
I don't think there's many cases that justify the incremental benefits of Ambassador over Titanium.

You could reasonably get Titanium for ~$8k if you use the 5 x ENC and hold one of the credit cards.

I'm not sure what the extra $6k gets you apart from a dedicated Marriott specific concierge? I mean, honestly just get the Amex Platinum if you need one of those.

Can someone make a compelling case for the incremental to me?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
I don't think there's many cases that justify the incremental benefits of Ambassador over Titanium.

You could reasonably get Titanium for ~$8k if you use the 5 x ENC and hold one of the credit cards.

I'm not sure what the extra $6k gets you apart from a dedicated Marriott specific concierge? I mean, honestly just get the Amex Platinum if you need one of those.

Can someone make a compelling case for the incremental to me?
Hmmm, I finished 2020 with 103 nights and my spend was less than $4K. Don't forget about redemptions. I also had a stay on December 31st. The night posted to 2020 while the spend posted to 2021. I started 2021 with 15 CC nights & $202 dollars. By the time the promotion kicks in, I will already have 60 nights. At 50 nights, I will choose the 5 SNAs. I have already used 3 2021 SNAs in 2020 (1 & 2 nights) for full-suite upgrades selecting only the highest category available and all cleared at T-5 days.

James
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
I finished with 103 nights also, but with spend around $5500. 40 of those nights were from cards/given to me by Marriott.

Now living in Marriotts full time, I will easily hit Ambassador. The room rates in Thailand are so low, however staying for such extended periods will help me hit the 14k.
SPN Lifer, Fims, anteater and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.