Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2021, 6:49 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker III
Hope is on the horizon, travel lovers. We’re elevating your earning in 2021 with more benefits and rewards — on top of what members received last June — to help make up for a challenging 2020. Here’s what’s coming your way.

Get a head start toward your 2021 Elite status. This February, we’re depositing into your account 50% of the Elite Night Credits (ENCs) based on your 2020 Elite status. You’ll be halfway toward achieving your goals. That’s in addition to the ENCs awarded to Marriott Bonvoy™ Credit Card Members.

Plus, we’re reducing the $20,000 spend threshold for attaining Ambassador Elite status to just $14,000 for 2021.

You can also earn rewards faster with our Better Two-gether promotion. Get double points and double ENCs for stays of two nights or more between February 16 and April 27, 2021. Keep an eye out — registration starts soon.

One more exciting benefit: We're reducing redemption rates at hotels participating in Marriott Bonvoy. Save up to 40% when you redeem points for Free Night Awards by February 21, 2021. Rates start at just 4,500 points per night. It can take a little time for our new rates to distribute through all our systems, so the new redemption rates are now bookable, but may not show up in the online booking experience for the next few hours.

So whenever the time is right to rediscover the world, we’ll be there to welcome you with more rewarding stays.

Where do you hope to travel next? Share in the comments below!

Want to be the first to get breaking program news? The Marriott Bonvoy Insiders Facebook Group gives you access to the latest news, offers and tips to get the most out of the program.

As always, please note that a “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity, on any points-eligible rate.
Quite frankly, this news is a bit maddening. If Marriott had reduced qualifications for Ambassador in 2020 instead of 2021, then I would've easily made Ambassador. Instead, there is no reward whatsoever for my spend in 2020. There wasn't even a grandfathering of people who crossed 1000 nights into LT Titanium. As a Titanium member w/ CC, I will have 53 promo nights, and with double nights, I will only need to spend 11 nights to remain Titanium for 2022. Seeing that, am I going to spend $14k+ with Marriott in 2021? Absolutely not. Of course, I'm not going to avoid Marriott, but there's absolutely no incentive to spend at their properties this year.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
It sounds like most of you consider achieving Titanium the holy Grail.
​​​​​
Are we reading the same forum?

I see many here running for the exits. Those who are sticking with Marriott mostly feel that there's no point going for Ambassador, which makes Titanium by default the top status level that's worth anything. And many (particularly US based travelers) think that's not worth much, if any, extra effort to achieve.
SPN Lifer, uxb, innerspace and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
All the people saying that Ambassador isn't "worth" $20k, or $14k, or $10k... you're missing the point. Ambassador was never "worth" anywhere near that much even pre-covid. It is small bit of recognition for those spending the most at Marriott properties. If the status were "for sale", I probably wouldn't spend more than $100 out of pocket to get it (if that), even pre-covid. It is a nice (small) perk, but don't read anything more into it beyond that.

Anyone considering intentionally spending extra thousands of dollars just to earn Amb status is nuts, imo.
Bravada04 and innerspace like this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:01 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
All the people saying that Ambassador isn't "worth" $20k, or $14k, or $10k... you're missing the point.
Don't think so. Marriott sets thresholds, the discussion is whether the benefits merit directing that level of stays and spend to Marriott. Personally, having now experienced Ambassador, I don't see the value and am directing those those stays elsewhere (either Hyatt or unaffiliated properties). I'm sure my 2020 spend on lodgings exceeded $20k; Marriott got very little of that.
Anyone considering intentionally spending extra thousands of dollars just to earn Amb status is nuts, imo.
You're missing the point. It's a question of where to direct stays, not whether to spend extra.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by Kacee
You're missing the point. It's a question of where to direct stays, not whether to spend extra.
I get that. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are directing a bunch of stays to Marriott that aren't otherwise the best travel option for you, solely for the purpose of chasing Ambassador status... you will be disappointed.

I treat Amb as a nice perk if the nights/spending happens to work out, nothing more. I believe this also helps set expectations - I find myself disappointed at lot less than many on this board because I have not set expectations very high.
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:47 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I get that. I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are directing a bunch of stays to Marriott that aren't otherwise the best travel option for you, solely for the purpose of chasing Ambassador status... you will be disappointed.

I treat Amb as a nice perk if the nights/spending happens to work out, nothing more. I believe this also helps set expectations - I find myself disappointed at lot less than many on this board because I have not set expectations very high.
To be honest, I don't really see any tangible benefit of having Ambassador status as most of the hotels that I stay at treat me decently as a Titanium. I do reach out every now and then for special occasions and offer to pay for some amenities that aren't publicly available but more often than not the hotel is willing to accommodate on a complimentary basis such as a birthday or anniversary celebration.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold. AC 35K *S, UA *S
Smile

Originally Posted by cfabar1
Yes, you would be Titanium for 2021 and 2022. However, you would only receive one qualifying year.
Yes, the qualifying year would be 2021 for my gold and platinum lifetime qualifying (I'll be lifetime gold as of this year, wooo!) and would have to do it all over again for 2022 to continue lifetime platinum qualifying.
Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
got it....i see no change for my travel dates in dc, nyc, orlando & boston....maybe its being rolled out slowly....
I am seeing some locations where properties have the discounted rate closer in up to February but their Off-Peak or Standard Pricing is still out there until September which makes me think that this "promotion" is a farce as usual.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:19 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I am seeing some locations where properties have the discounted rate closer in up to February but their Off-Peak or Standard Pricing is still out there until September which makes me think that this "promotion" is a farce as usual.
It's basically a short term discount while the pandemic continues. I booked a property in Hawaii in September at standard rate, a week or two later it went up to Peak and it's still at Peak. I don't plan to travel until I get a vaccine.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:22 am

To be honest, I don't really see any tangible benefit of having Ambassador status as most of the hotels that I stay at treat me decently as a Titanium. I do reach out every now and then for special occasions and offer to pay for some amenities that aren't publicly available but more often than not the hotel is willing to accommodate on a complimentary basis such as a birthday or anniversary celebration.
Yup, that's about right. I would totally expect that being a "regular" at any particular hotel would carry more weight than Amb status vs Titanium. Personally, my travel patterns are such that if I stay 100 nights in a year, it is probably in 70 different hotels, so I am not really a "regular" anywhere, therefore there may be some marginal benefit in top status.

Honestly, my favorite "perk" of Amb is just being able to email somebody to take care of issues (incorrect point postings, adjoining room requests, etc) rather than having to call and wait on hold. Every now and then I will get some fruit or wine in my room, which is nice I guess, but nothing to get too excited over.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 9:44 am

Yup, that's about right. I would totally expect that being a "regular" at any particular hotel would carry more weight than Amb status vs Titanium. Personally, my travel patterns are such that if I stay 100 nights in a year, it is probably in 70 different hotels, so I am not really a "regular" anywhere, therefore there may be some marginal benefit in top status.

Honestly, my favorite "perk" of Amb is just being able to email somebody to take care of issues (incorrect point postings, adjoining room requests, etc) rather than having to call and wait on hold. Every now and then I will get some fruit or wine in my room, which is nice I guess, but nothing to get too excited over.
I don't mind calling people to get some concerns or issues resolved since we virtually do almost everything from behind a screen these days so it's nice to be able to have a conversation with people.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 10:10 am

I think it's YMMV. Much to my surprise, an upcoming stay in Park City just dropped 20k points. Worth checking your reservations, just don't expect much
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:16 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The one valuable perk which is hard to quantify or prove is suite upgrades. Perhaps when all hotels have low occupancy it does not matter so much, but otherwise when there is competition for upgrades, I suspect that more often than not a suite goes to AMB ahead of Titanium. I am surprised you would not spend $100 for it pre-covid, I suspect most people would. If only one stay in the whole year ended up in a suite because of AMB then it would be worth $100 at least for me.
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
"What goes up, must come down". Well, what goes down is likely to go up. Earning a ton more points and lowering point redemptions early in 2021 forebodes a massive deval of points coming again later this year. I fully expect point rates to go much higher later this year for 'standard' awards.

And I'm also not happy they lowered the AMB spend to $14K. Not that AMB is worth anything (as I'm finding out since becoming AMB in 2020), but why do they want to inflate the ranks of AMB? There are no ambassadors any longer so we're all having to talk to the same generic pool of people.

-RM
Old Jan 12, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: Yes
All the people saying that Ambassador isn't "worth" $20k, or $14k, or $10k... you're missing the point. Ambassador was never "worth" anywhere near that much even pre-covid. It is small bit of recognition for those spending the most at Marriott properties. If the status were "for sale", I probably wouldn't spend more than $100 out of pocket to get it (if that), even pre-covid. It is a nice (small) perk, but don't read anything more into it beyond that.

Under SPG, the equivalent tier definitely was worth $20k to me, granted there was no EQD spend for the tier but our annual spend was higher than $20k.

Benefits that I found worth the tier were: Your24 - worked most of the time and hotels would usually go above and beyond to accommodate international flight schedules; Suite upgrades - hotels would preemptively, or with a reasonable ask, upgrade us to a top tier suite, or the top suite for a reduced upgrade rate; having a reliable team to help plan trips or resolve any issues.

The reliability or Your24 and the suite upgrade reliability easily saved us thousands of dollars.

Under Marriott, and especially since last year the program has lost most of its value to me.

However, everyone has different needs and expectations, so the value of the AMB tier will be different to each traveler.
UA-NYC, innerspace and Kacee like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.