Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2021, 9:47 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by SkyElite
I'm curious: why? I find switching hotels a chore, and would not go out of my way to switch a hotel in the middle of a stay, UNLESS there is an oblivious benefit e.g., trying different brands within a promo period to gain extra credits/ points.

Just for the welcome points? Hell no...
Typically my customer/client visits are for a single day... usually I travel to the vicinity the afternoon/evening before, do stuff on the day then travel home or to next location in the late afternoon.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by hnewman
Actually we are heading and heading to French Polynesia for diving on Rangiroa in April, we hope. No interest in Bora Bora given lack of interesting diving. I wish there was a Marriott on Tahiti as we have to over night.
You know you can purchase IHG Ambassador elite status which would go well right now with all the Intercontinental resorts and hotels they have in that region.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hnewman
Actually we are heading and heading to French Polynesia for diving on Rangiroa in April, we hope. No interest in Bora Bora given lack of interesting diving. I wish there was a Marriott on Tahiti as we have to over night.
The Le Meridien Tahiti deflagged in 2018. I had a redemption there, booked earlier in 2018, for 2 nights in February 2019 prior to a cruise; ultimately I cancelled and stayed at a beautiful Air BnB.

Le Meridien Tahiti

On October 16 of this year [2018] Le Meridien Tahiti became a Sofitel. They alerted people with reservations with just 4 days before the change was effective. I suppose this helps with people rushing to redeem points or book cash reservations before the changeover. It seems to be a common theme for Marriott to not provide customers fair notice. Guests who have already booked to stay at the property will have their reservations honored. Customers holding reservations should have received an email similar to this:

As a valued Marriott Rewards member, we are writing to inform you of a change in the status of Le Meridien Tahiti. Since October 16, 2018, the property is no longer part of Marriott International or Le Meridien brand and no longer participate in the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) program. We see you are currently holding a reservation, arriving on xxx 2019 and departing on xxx 2019. We are pleased to inform you that the hotel will honor your reservation for a Preferred (free) Night Award, including Cash and Points, as your stay was originally confirmed. However, since the hotel will no longer be affiliated with the Starwood system, you will not earn Starpoints for any eligible charges incurred, nor will you receive any of your Starwood Preferred Guest membership amenities or benefits. We realize this may be disappointing but hope we can count on your understanding.”
James
Old Feb 20, 2021, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The Le Meridien Tahiti deflagged in 2018. I had a redemption there, booked earlier in 2018, for 2 nights in February 2019 prior to a cruise; ultimately I cancelled and stayed at a beautiful Air BnB.

Le Meridien Tahiti

On October 16 of this year [2018] Le Meridien Tahiti became a Sofitel. They alerted people with reservations with just 4 days before the change was effective. I suppose this helps with people rushing to redeem points or book cash reservations before the changeover. It seems to be a common theme for Marriott to not provide customers fair notice. Guests who have already booked to stay at the property will have their reservations honored. Customers holding reservations should have received an email similar to this:
we stayed at that hotel overnight in 2016 on the way to Rangiroa
Old Feb 20, 2021, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, Marriott AMB/LTT, Hyatt EX, HH Dia, Ntl EEE
Tomorrow is the last day for booking Off Peak rates to get the 40% off of standard rates. I looked for something here that could explain how the points work out but didn't see anything. this is what I think

Book off peak at 9,000 points. The standard rate is 12,500 points. Minus the 40% is (-5,000) 7,500 per night. So a 5 night stay would equal 30,000 points (4x7,500 + 1 free night)

Right now the website takes 36,000 (4x9,000).so I should expect to be reimbursed 6,000 points after my stay. Does anyone else see the math this way?
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Rondelltg
Tomorrow is the last day for booking Off Peak rates to get the 40% off of standard rates. I looked for something here that could explain how the points work out but didn't see anything. this is what I think

Book off peak at 9,000 points. The standard rate is 12,500 points. Minus the 40% is (-5,000) 7,500 per night. So a 5 night stay would equal 30,000 points (4x7,500 + 1 free night)

Right now the website takes 36,000 (4x9,000).so I should expect to be reimbursed 6,000 points after my stay. Does anyone else see the math this way?
I think you will be disappointed if you expect a points adjustment from Marriott. The promo says:

Save Up to 40% on Standard Redemption Pricing by booking Off-Peak rates by February 21, 2021
https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-27591

Thread here:

Award redemption chart updated : off-peak rates reduced by 10%

I suspect that what you see is what you get.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, Marriott AMB/LTT, Hyatt EX, HH Dia, Ntl EEE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I think you will be disappointed if you expect a points adjustment from Marriott. The promo says:

https://help.marriott.com/s/article/Article-27591

Thread here:

Award redemption chart updated : off-peak rates reduced by 10%

I suspect that what you see is what you get.

Thanks for the T&C. Those 2 words "Up To" always get you. So this means that the chart will change back Monday.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:11 pm

Has anyone else not gotten this goodwill credit?

I got 30 from the two Amex cards. But have not received the 25 from Platinum Status earn last year.
Old Feb 23, 2021, 2:47 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by grt2106
Has anyone else not gotten this goodwill credit?

I got 30 from the two Amex cards. But have not received the 25 from Platinum Status earn last year.
Hi grt2106
If you send a Private Message with your full name, Marriott Bonvoy number, and confirm the email address on your account, we'd be glad to look into this for you.

Thanks,
Robert V.
Social Media Liaison
Old Oct 18, 2021, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat, HH Dia
Do we think Marriott will do this again next year? Trying to decide if I should try to go for Titanium or not, and getting 50% elite night credits for 2022 would be enough incentive for me to go for it.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by cooljw
Do we think Marriott will do this again next year? Trying to decide if I should try to go for Titanium or not, and getting 50% elite night credits for 2022 would be enough incentive for me to go for it.
Hilton has done the same this year
Old Jan 28, 2022, 5:55 am

I'm curious if Marriott will announce a similar goodwill for 2022 soon. Due to ongoing lack of business travel in Europe (mainly because of the Omicron variant) I doubt I will organically requalify for Ambassador Elite this year.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by federer
I'm curious if Marriott will announce a similar goodwill for 2022 soon. Due to ongoing lack of business travel in Europe (mainly because of the Omicron variant) I doubt I will organically requalify for Ambassador Elite this year.
This is most definitely unsolicited input, but why anyone would want to actively seek Ambassador Elite status is beyond me; it's simply not worth it. Stop at Titanium if you must go the Marriott route and take your business elsewhere despite the lack of breadth/depth of hotel options. Hilton Diamond might be lackluster in the US but it carries weight elsewhere in the world, and at least their footprint in Europe isn't bad. I'd naturally endorse Hyatt Globalist, but the eternal footprint issues might be a non-starter.

khabah
Old Jan 28, 2022, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
My guess is no. They just rolled out a double EQN promo. I would expect more EQN promos throughout year, especially if travel remains depressed. But the freebies of the last couple years would have to end eventually, I would think.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2022, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Either double EQN throughout the year or they will announce status extension around Q3

Marriott seems to be the follower. They wait until other programs announce their intention, then they respond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.