Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
On 1/11/2021, Marriott announced its elite qualification for 2021.

For 2020 Elite status earners: To help you get to the next Elite level faster, we will deposit 50% of the required Elite Night Credits for your 2020 Elite status into your account by February 5, 2021. We have also reduced the required spend for Ambassador Elite to $14K annual qualifying spend in 2021 only. In 2022, the spend requirement will return to $20K annually.

Marriott Bonvoy™ Members who earned Elite Status in 2020 will receive a onetime deposit of 50% of their tier's annual Elite Night Credit requirement, e.g. those Members who achieved Platinum Elite status in 2020 would receive 25 Elite Night Credits in their Account in February 2021.

Since Members already received an extension of their earned 2019 Elite Status through February 1, 2022, the Elite Night Credit deposit helps Members reach the next tier faster.

In addition, these Elite Night Credits will count towards achieving the 2021 Annual Choice Benefit, as well as achieving Lifetime Elite Status. 50% Elite Night Credits deposit and remaining 2021 Requirements needed to achieve the next tier's Status are based on the 2020 earned Status tier as follows:

Ambassador Elite will receive 50 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying spend in 2021 to re-achieve Ambassador Status

Titanium Elite will receive 38 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 62 Elite Night Credits and US$14,000 in Qualifying Stay Spend in 2021 to achieve Ambassador Elite

Platinum Elite will receive 25 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 50 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Titanium Elite

Gold Elite will receive 13 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 37 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Platinum Elite

Silver Elite will receive 5 Elite Night Credits and will need an additional 20 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Gold Elite

Member tier will not receive Elite Night Credits and will need a total of 10 Elite Night Credits in 2021 to achieve Silver Elite

Example:
A Member who earned Gold Elite Status in 2019 already received an extension of the Gold Elite Status to February 1, 2022. To achieve the next tier up of Platinum Elite in 2021 to enjoy through February 2023, the Member will need to achieve a total of 50 Elite Night Credits by December 31, 2021. This Gold Elite Member will receive 13 Elite Night Credits (50% of the 25 normally needed to requalify for Gold), which means the Member will only need 37 Elite Night Credits to achieve Platinum Elite this year.

Complete FAQs:
Bonvoy Members & COVID-19? (marriott.com)

Annual Choice Benefit Selection:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/...arriott-bonvoy

Print Wikipost

Marriott Announces Goodwill Elite Qualification for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2021, 12:45 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Well I really can explore other chains this year, I will have 65 nights before leaving home this year and then with a 10 night stay in the promo period plus 3 other nights that means I will need 9 more nights for the rest of the year to retain Ambassador, the 14k I realise for some maybe a limiter but to me this is maybe just a bit to easy. Marriott are going to need some damn good promo's later in the year to give me a reason to stay rather than try elsewhere!

I know plenty will disgree with my outlook on this, but would have prefered them to make Ambassador harder to reach and actually take the chance to make it a truely Elite tier but feel it will continue on its downward spiral.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:12 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
I have booked several nights (about 15 to be exact) within the stay period, but all have since increased from standard to peak rates. Most are locked in at the standard rates, I guess there's no discount on these bookings right.
They’re only discounting ‘Off-Peak’ rates, if your existing redemption was made at the ‘standard’ rate, nothing has changed.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:28 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by miloworld
They’re only discounting ‘Off-Peak’ rates, if your existing redemption was made at the ‘standard’ rate, nothing has changed.
The yearly category moves happen in March anyway, and it is likely that more hotels will be going down rather than up in category. So I don't see any need to rush into award reservations beyond February now.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: WOOD PLAT, HYATT GLOB, SOUTH A-LIST+, UNITED SILVER
Stack Opportunity

If you received the targeted bonus for weekend stays through 3/31, good stacking opportunity with this promo.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Two questions...

1. These bonus elite nights do count towards lifetime nights? I am almost 500 elite nights and want to boost to lifetime this year...
2. guess will know more later but I assume that bookings which fall into the promotion period would count? Such as booking which at least overlapping the promotion period...
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
This thread proves short of Marriott sending cash to its members, nothing will be good enough. Even cash might not be sufficient.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by Tommys888
1. These bonus elite nights do count towards lifetime nights? I am almost 500 elite nights and want to boost to lifetime this year...
2. guess will know more later but I assume that bookings which fall into the promotion period would count? Such as booking which at least overlapping the promotion period...
1. Yes
2. Do you mean the Q1 promotion? If so the FAQs say:

If a member’s stay crosses over the promotion earning period dates, will their stay count toward promotion credit?

If you are registered prior to your stay, your stay is eligible and if at least one night of your stay falls within the promotion period, it will count toward promotion credit.
What is the Marriott Bonvoy™ Q1 Global Promotion?

Overlapping yes, stay happens before registration apparently not.
SPN Lifer and Tommys888 like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The yearly category moves happen in March anyway, and it is likely that more hotels will be going down rather than up in category. So I don't see any need to rush into award reservations beyond February now.
Assuming that category changes reflect average room rates. However, Marriott has always based their hotel categories on popularity for award redemption, examples are high point rates for US East Coast beach locations in winter with low occupancy.
SPN Lifer and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
I doubt Marriott will ever drop category levels. Marriott may just use off-peak rates more instead of standard point rates. I'll be careful about category increases like what Marriott has been doing over the past few years.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 2:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, UA Silver, Delta Silver
Titanium here.

30 CC nights
+38 from this promo
6 award certs expiring this year.

looks like I’ll barely have any paid stays this year.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Bonvoy LTTit
"We’re also launching the Better Two-gether promotion. You’ll earn double the number of points and Elite Night Credits on stays of two nights or more between February 16 and April 27, 2021. Registration starts soon."

so I am LTT and get 30 cc nights, 68 total, stay a 4 nights during the above, and now at 76 using my going to expire free night certificates?
Old Jan 11, 2021, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by mileageking
So existing ambassadors will get 50 nights, correct? For the extra 50 nights (for total of 100 towards ambassador qualification) they need to spend US$14k which equates to US$280/night (excluding taxes and some charges). Normally it's 100 nights and $20k so $200/night.

So by reducing elite requirement by 50% for all members, ambassador would be the worst hit as our spend requirement per night increased from $200 to $280 (40% increase per night).
Well, you are welcome to stay more nights to lower the per night spend.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Glad Marriott finally announced something. I might be able to hit the $14K to keep ambassador, will definitely hit Titanium with little effort. Interesting they made the choice to make keeping status or getting to the next level easier for existing elites, rather than make it easier for non-elites to get elite status & help current elites maintain/grow status like Hyatt and Hilton have done.

But, hey, as a current Marriott elite, I'm happy with this move.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Well, that's what happens when Marriott shows a lack of integrity and terrible customer service since integration. It's great Marriott is making these moves but after months of being told Titaniums can't have have a free breakfast but can buy one in many properties or having CS screw up vacations, well yeah there's a lot of disgruntled members to put it mildly.

Cash. Points. Don't matter to many of us. Being treated with respect does.

Originally Posted by Repooc17
This thread proves short of Marriott sending cash to its members, nothing will be good enough. Even cash might not be sufficient.
Old Jan 11, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Marriott shows a lack of integrity and terrible customer service since integration
... and as I've been seeing (many of the same) people complaining about this for 2.5 years now, as a LT who has many stays (even last year) and extremely few issues (and none uncorrectable by CS) I wish you guys really meant when you constantly threaten to leave 😐

Why put yourself thru all that?!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.