Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
HOW TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD

Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. It’s the same process for both. No swiping.

REGISTER YOUR GIFT CARDS

For security in case you ever lose your gift cards, you should always register them here.

https://gifts.marriott.com/login/

GIFT CARD SUPPORT (per Lurkers post #174)

If you are not able to use your gift card for a stay, you may call our Gift Card Support team via phone number 1 (800) 442-6132 for immediate help or email them via [email protected]. They will be pleased to follow up with the hotel team for the technical issue and guidance.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2024, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Good luck! A friend of mine sent me this after trying to use a gift card at a Marriott hotel:

"By the way I dropped off the gift certs at the front desk and told them to process them as a deposit on my account.

The next day they called to say they didn’t know how to use them, and I said OK that’s fine I will take 1 night free in the hotel and give me back the certs and I will use them in the next hotel.

GUESS what, they learned how to use them."
Try that in Germany or Japan or Thailand and you will know it is not going to work.

Their job is to take what you owe them in a form of payment that they can operate, you give them something that they can accept as payment they won't let you go. The hotels I stayed at don't even believe in the card on profile and insisted that I need to swipe the card at check in. Even if you are manage to leave and they will still charge you in full with the card they swiped.

It's as simple as that and last time when they refused to process the GC (no one knows how to process it there at that time and they refused to do it at another time unless we pay upfront so they can refund us if it goes through) we had to pay with our card to be able to leave - that was Marriott Hamburg. We didn't do the GC because refunding the card with forex might make us losing more $ due to exchange rate fluctuations and føtex fees x2.

I was really upset and complained to corporate and the next time I stayed at Hamburg Renaissance I had to write to a particular person in advance and tell her my check in date and when I check in I had to hand in my GC for them to process and get it back when I check out.

This is just a pure ordeal and I gave up.
SPN Lifer, Happy and yscleo like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nacho
I don't think it's the German law that charges people the day after.

I saw my bank said xxx€ has been deducted and at other chains I paid at check in.

Our stays are primarily during weekends and holidays so the manager is usually not around. This doesn't make using gift card to pay easier.

Plus buying them in USD is bad for us living in Europe at the moment.
They AUTHORIZE the amount, automatically done by the system at Leipzig, no human intervention involved. However the authorization is NOT charged, I.e. used until the guest checked out - I am told by one person who knows how to process GC and another person who is FD supervisor. He actually removed the guaranteed card from one screen to another screen so to prevent the system automatic nightly calculation of authorization needed - basically at first night it was a minimum fix amount, on second night it was 2 nights rates minus what was already authorized - hence I got a weird 48.33 euro authorization prompted me to think this might be the complementary breakfast…. This Marriott has a lounge but we are told we can have our breakfast at the restaurant as well.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fairy Tale that does not help anyone other than your friend’s bragging right

Good luck! A friend of mine sent me this after trying to use a gift card at a Marriott hotel:

"By the way I dropped off the gift certs at the front desk and told them to process them as a deposit on my account.

The next day they called to say they didn’t know how to use them, and I said OK that’s fine I will take 1 night free in the hotel and give me back the certs and I will use them in the next hotel.

GUESS what, they learned how to use them."
Old Apr 17, 2024, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
I have mixed experience using Gift cards.

At the FourPoints Edmunston, they didn't know how to do GCs. They said they take the number (photocopied), and charged my CC first, saying next week when they figure out how to do it, they can refund my CC. They did eventually do it right.

At Le Meridien Panama, I told them I'll be using GC right from the beginning of the 6 night stay. The night before check out I went to the FD to give them the GC to do. They don't know how and told me to go back next morning. I went the morning of check out, gave the GC to them, and went to breakfast. After breakfast, FD told me they did it, but turned out they took out the entire balance. I tried to get them to return, but they don't know how. I had to leave. Afterward, I called several times, just couldn't get someone to help.

At Westin San Diego, the FD lady took my GC to another room, then came back to say it was done. After I got home, I saw they charged $20 to the GC, and the rest to my CC (I wanted to charge everything to GC).

Some others did fine: Courtyard Vilnius, AC Copenhagen, Westin Cancun, Sthala Bali.
SPN Lifer, reggiekush and Illinwu like this.
Old Apr 18, 2024, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Happy
They AUTHORIZE the amount, automatically done by the system at Leipzig, no human intervention involved. However the authorization is NOT charged, I.e. used until the guest checked out - I am told by one person who knows how to process GC and another person who is FD supervisor. He actually removed the guaranteed card from one screen to another screen so to prevent the system automatic nightly calculation of authorization needed - basically at first night it was a minimum fix amount, on second night it was 2 nights rates minus what was already authorized - hence I got a weird 48.33 euro authorization prompted me to think this might be the complementary breakfast…. This Marriott has a lounge but we are told we can have our breakfast at the restaurant as well.
I think something must have changed since 2024 (my last stay in Germany) - it was weird when we check-in at Moxy. We wanted to pay with our EUR debit card and the machine didn't accept the card and the FD has to manually put the info in. I put in my pin and it said it was wrong...

I'll go down next month so I'm curious to see if we have the same issue.
Old Apr 20, 2024, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Notary Autograph at Center City, Philadelphia is a pro in processing multiple gift cards. I had 2 individual nights and they preferred to do clean accounting, I,e. Not to combine them. They told me just present the GCs at check out. Different FD staff on different morning, They all knew how to do it.

Then of course I read yet another person got his GC balances cleaned out…. This is the 3rd case reported since I reported mine.

If you don’t make any progress in getting you money back, email Marriott gift card support might help. You can read my posts up thread.

Do not contact Givex, which is useless when there are issues.

Using GCs is a pure luck of draw. Those fairly tale varieties posting truly offer ZERO help to those who encounter issues esp having wrong amount taken out.

Personally for a measly $50 off $250 saving I would not be bothered any more with GCs unless I have domestic stays or Asian stays coming up.

Half of mine were obtained during the $120/$300 offer, so the trouble in getting my own money back is a bit mitigated.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yscleo
I have mixed experience using Gift cards.

At the FourPoints Edmunston, they didn't know how to do GCs. They said they take the number (photocopied), and charged my CC first, saying next week when they figure out how to do it, they can refund my CC. They did eventually do it right.

At Le Meridien Panama, I told them I'll be using GC right from the beginning of the 6 night stay. The night before check out I went to the FD to give them the GC to do. They don't know how and told me to go back next morning. I went the morning of check out, gave the GC to them, and went to breakfast. After breakfast, FD told me they did it, but turned out they took out the entire balance. I tried to get them to return, but they don't know how. I had to leave. Afterward, I called several times, just couldn't get someone to help.

At Westin San Diego, the FD lady took my GC to another room, then came back to say it was done. After I got home, I saw they charged $20 to the GC, and the rest to my CC (I wanted to charge everything to GC).

Some others did fine: Courtyard Vilnius, AC Copenhagen, Westin Cancun, Sthala Bali.
Do you realize you can check your GC balance online immediately after FD processed it? It is real time. You would have discovered the mistake the SD property has made right there on the spot.
The system also allows FD print out how much amount is taken, though not the balance but they can see the amount left and write it down for you.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I had a bad experience at the Aloft Montreal Airport this weekend. Part of the problem was I checked in at 11 pm and checked out at 6 am the next morning. FD agent was insistent that they don't accept gift cards. He told me he checked with his manager overnight and he also said they don't accept them. I had left the gift card support desk number for them to call, but AFAIK, they never did. They ended up charging my credit card.

However, I called the gift card support desk when I got to the airport. Agent was super helpful. He sent me the following email to fill out:

Thank you for contacting Marriott gift card services.

• Consumer Name:
• Phone:
• E.mail:
• Copy of Folio/Receipt
• Customer explanation of what happened upon check out:
• 20-Digit Gift Card number:
• Reservation Details – Hotel Name/Marsha Code, Stay Date
• Last 4 Digits of Credit Card:

Please note the process may take between 4-6 weeks.
If I understood correctly, I believe they will transfer the charge to my gift card. I'll report back if/when it happens. I think I read in this thread that someone else managed to get a charge refunded to his credit card and transferred to his gift card. First time I've needed to call the help desk.
SPN Lifer and FlySkyHigh like this.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 5:59 pm

I’ve been told to wait until 7am. Sometimes not all staff can handle gift cards and might not be on at 6am. Sometimes I try the night before.
Old Apr 21, 2024, 6:55 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by rrgg
Sometimes not all staff can handle gift cards
In almost all cases, only a few staff can process a gift card transaction.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a bad experience at the Aloft Montreal Airport this weekend. Part of the problem was I checked in at 11 pm and checked out at 6 am the next morning. FD agent was insistent that they don't accept gift cards. He told me he checked with his manager overnight and he also said they don't accept them. I had left the gift card support desk number for them to call, but AFAIK, they never did. They ended up charging my credit card.

However, I called the gift card support desk when I got to the airport. Agent was super helpful. He sent me the following email to fill out:

If I understood correctly, I believe they will transfer the charge to my gift card. I'll report back if/when it happens. I think I read in this thread that someone else managed to get a charge refunded to his credit card and transferred to his gift card. First time I've needed to call the help desk.
It works because you have a CAD CC, imagine that you are in Germany and your CC on profile is in CAD - you wouldn't want them to do a refund and then charge your GC. Of course you can do a DCC but there is always a risk that they can't process it. It is not a big risk and never know.

If you do check in after regular hour, the best is to contact the hotel ahead and tell them that you'd like to pay with a GC. I'm 110% sure that the teenage girl who checked us into a CY by SEA has no clue how to charge a GC.
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It works because you have a CAD CC, imagine that you are in Germany and your CC on profile is in CAD - you wouldn't want them to do a refund and then charge your GC. Of course you can do a DCC but there is always a risk that they can't process it. It is not a big risk and never know.

If you do check in after regular hour, the best is to contact the hotel ahead and tell them that you'd like to pay with a GC. I'm 110% sure that the teenage girl who checked us into a CY by SEA has no clue how to charge a GC.
Agreed. My default credit card is actually a no forex fee USD card, but I switched it to my Cdn card for this reservation.

Anyhow, I got an email from the FD Mgr this morning. He said:

As we are a franchised hotel, we do participate in the gift card program. However configuration has not been set up which is why we couldn't process the transaction.
However, i can see that your invoice has already been finalized to your amex. Is this done on purpose or did you want to charge your gift card to then refund your amex?

Please let me know and it will be my pleasure to assist you accordingly.
I asked him to refund the credit card and charge the gift card.
SPN Lifer, yscleo and nacho like this.
Old Apr 22, 2024, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
We are so fortunate, margarita girl, to have your Marriott BONV°Y gift card expertise in this forum! Thank you for all your edifying contributions.
yscleo and margarita girl like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, when I reported Moxy BER did not take Gift Card, I got an email reply saying that was not acceptable because it was Brand Standard which NO violation was allowed.
Although she did not send me a form, but did tell me if I wanted, I could give her the GC number, the stay details and the card being charged, Marriott GC support would make the property reversed the charge from CC, then charge the GC. My stay was <75 euro so I said not to bother but I appreciate your effort. And later I posted in this thread to tell folks if you encounter difficulty REPORT it to Marriott GC Support - they will help. Dont bother to deal with Givex which gave me the wrong info that location can choose not to partidipate. Marriott GC support said they will contact Givex to straight this up and to train the representative who gave wrong info.

Personally I prefer the email route - they answered rather timely. In the above incident, it was the next day. In the case my GCs were overcharged, they answered in 2 days - by that time the property had refunded the GC of the overcharge.

So, yes, you can go this route.
SPN Lifer and margarita girl like this.
Old Apr 23, 2024, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You make a very good point.

I agree this is the point to consider - My case is usd/euro transaction, and YES, the hotel did have DCC option on its system, asked me whether I wanted it to be billed in USD or Euro.

Hence I did not take the offer of reversing CC charge - Who knows what the property would do when crediting the CC? In any event there would be exchange rate issue, especially during the period Euro went from almost 1.09 down to 1.07 - I will lose in the refund due to the exchange rate. It would not make sense just in order to use the daunt GC I would stand to lose on the exchange rate fluctuation. This is A Loss situation to me. So I declined the option.

OTOH I am so glad The Notary autograph at Philly Center City is so competent in using multiple GCs, like every FD agent on duty knew the steps. Now my stash has been drawn down to just over $200 after using almost $1K on this trip. I can live with this until who knows when we would stay at a BonVoy property again.
I have absolutely no desire to buy the eGC during the current Discover America or whatever travel industry promotion is called. Pretty sure AMEX will have those statement credit offers in the rest of the year - they seem to be at least twice a year. More than good enough for us.

Last edited by Happy; Apr 23, 2024 at 10:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.