Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
HOW TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD

Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. Its the same process for both. No swiping.

REGISTER YOUR GIFT CARDS

For security in case you ever lose your gift cards, you should always register them here.

https://gifts.marriott.com/login/

GIFT CARD SUPPORT (per Lurkers post #174)

If you are not able to use your gift card for a stay, you may call our Gift Card Support team via phone number 1 (800) 442-6132 for immediate help or email them via [email protected]. They will be pleased to follow up with the hotel team for the technical issue and guidance.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by gnomey
anybody successfully use a US-based marriott gift card at a hotel in Sydney AU recently? if yes, which hotel?
Yes, all in 2019 (which I know isn't recent, but I'm sure things have improved, not gotten worse)!

Marriott Melbourne
Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast *
Sheraton Grand Hyde Park Sydney

* Hotel didn't know how to process gift cards. I left it with them when I checked out as well as my credit card number for the balance as I knew I'd be about $10 short. It took them about a week to process/zero out the gift card, and they never charged me for the extra $10.

The Westin Perth also didn't know how to process gift cards and I was running low on them anyhow, so I agreed to pay with my credit card as long as they waived the 3% credit card surcharge. They agreed.

2019 was shortly after the merger and there were many hotels (primarily from Starwood) that didn't know how to process gift cards. I have since used gift cards in Europe, middle East, Asia, Africa all with no issues.

I always recommend settling your bill the day before check out in case they have issues. Some times there's only one guy in the office who knows how to process them. The big advantages of paying with a gift is no foreign exchange fee (they are always within a fraction of the XE rate, sometimes higher, sometimes lower) and in Australia, you don't get charged the dreaded credit card surcharge. And of course, you get a 20% discount on your bill (and even more these days with the latest Amex offer of 33-40% discount).

Good luck.
SPN Lifer, yscleo and gnomey like this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I purchased the gift card on Jul 11 and got the confirmation email today Jul 14.
Thanks. I went to a Sheraton in Metro Vancouver yesterday to pick up a GC. Hopefully the credit will come next week. The forex of CAD to USD has been a roller coaster ride, to be safe I purchased CAD $420
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naticom
Thanks. I went to a Sheraton in Metro Vancouver yesterday to pick up a GC. Hopefully the credit will come next week. The forex of CAD to USD has been a roller coaster ride, to be safe I purchased CAD $420
LOL. I bought a C$400 gift card and it worked out to US$304.39.
cfischer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 1:52 pm

Yes, all in 2019 (which I know isn't recent, but I'm sure things have improved, not gotten worse)!

Marriott Melbourne
Sheraton Grand Mirage Gold Coast *
Sheraton Grand Hyde Park Sydney

* Hotel didn't know how to process gift cards. I left it with them when I checked out as well as my credit card number for the balance as I knew I'd be about $10 short. It took them about a week to process/zero out the gift card, and they never charged me for the extra $10.

The Westin Perth also didn't know how to process gift cards and I was running low on them anyhow, so I agreed to pay with my credit card as long as they waived the 3% credit card surcharge. They agreed.

2019 was shortly after the merger and there were many hotels (primarily from Starwood) that didn't know how to process gift cards. I have since used gift cards in Europe, middle East, Asia, Africa all with no issues.

I always recommend settling your bill the day before check out in case they have issues. Some times there's only one guy in the office who knows how to process them. The big advantages of paying with a gift is no foreign exchange fee (they are always within a fraction of the XE rate, sometimes higher, sometimes lower) and in Australia, you don't get charged the dreaded credit card surcharge. And of course, you get a 20% discount on your bill (and even more these days with the latest Amex offer of 33-40% discount).

Good luck.
thanks a lot, very helpful - indeed, i never understand AU on this. just add the 1-3% or whatever into the cost right from the get-go, sheesh
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:44 am

Started to think I might not be getting the credit. The COCKY manager said he's very familiar with the process and did some trick. Now my charge is shown as "Business Services" so I don't even have the 6X points from Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant. I should have gone to the Delta hotel that I used to go to.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:51 am

Did that spend $300 get $120 offer disappeared from the list after receiving the "You used to offer" email? And was the $120 shown up in your "Savings tab" while using the website?
Old Jul 17, 2023, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naticom
Did that spend $300 get $120 offer disappeared from the list after receiving the "You used to offer" email? And was the $120 shown up in your "Savings tab" while using the website?
Mine was only $100 but yes it has disappeared and no it hasn't appeared in Savings yet, but then again, neither has the credit.
Old Jul 17, 2023, 9:44 am

Mine was only $100 but yes it has disappeared and no it hasn't appeared in Savings yet, but then again, neither has the credit.

Thanks. When you go to https://global.americanexpress.com/activity/recent switch to your Bonvoy Brillint card, do you see multiplier on your Marriott GC purchase?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 12:38 pm

logged in again and saw the transaction marked a 6X. whew
Old Jul 20, 2023, 5:17 pm

I already saw my $120 credited. Did you see yours?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 8:53 am

Anyone with any recent data points for using north american giftcards in Vietnam? Going to be in Saigon next month and wondering if trying to use giftcards will be an issue.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cyog
Anyone with any recent data points for using north american giftcards in Vietnam? Going to be in Saigon next month and wondering if trying to use giftcards will be an issue.
Yes, no issues in Phu Quoc or Danang in Feb and Mar 2023.
Happy, yscleo and cyog like this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:32 am

Has anyone used GC at JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa?

Going to JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa at the end of the year; any DP of using GCs there? Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Illinwu
Going to JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa at the end of the year; any DP of using GCs there? Thank you in advance.
Yes. In Oct 2021.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:50 pm

Yes. In Oct 2021.
Great. Thank you so much!
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.