Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 24, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dayone
HOW TO PROCESS A GIFT CARD

Click on Givex icon
Enter login and password info at 2 levels
- property info
- employee info (password is birthdate MMDD, at least at this property)
Enter gift card number
Click on Check Balance (other 2 options are Activate and Redeem)
Click on Redeem
Enter amount to use
Enter card number again
Click Calculate
Click Submit

I used an e-gift card and a plastic one. Its the same process for both. No swiping.

REGISTER YOUR GIFT CARDS

For security in case you ever lose your gift cards, you should always register them here.

https://gifts.marriott.com/login/

GIFT CARD SUPPORT (per Lurkers post #174)

If you are not able to use your gift card for a stay, you may call our Gift Card Support team via phone number 1 (800) 442-6132 for immediate help or email them via [email protected]. They will be pleased to follow up with the hotel team for the technical issue and guidance.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2023, 6:21 pm

Hey everyone, new to the game and have a few $ in Marriott gift cards. I've been reading up a bit and noticed that there are issues in redeeming the GCs? What's the disadvantage of mentioning you'll be paying by GCs? Does that affect the experience?
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mjliangco
Hey everyone, new to the game and have a few $ in Marriott gift cards. I've been reading up a bit and noticed that there are issues in redeeming the GCs? What's the disadvantage of mentioning you'll be paying by GCs? Does that affect the experience?
IMHO it's a bit inconvenient as it will take additional time at check-out (compared to paying by CC), depending on how familiar the property or staff is with it. And 1 or 2 hotels didn't accept them at all (which they are probably not allowed to, but not much I could do about that). After that I mentioned at check-in I wanted to use them to avoid them finalising charging the CC before checking out.

I would never get a gift card again for that reason unless there is a very significant financial gain (the one I got was bought with an AMEX $100 back for $500 spend offer, which isn't enough considering the hassle I had using it).
Happy and Norexan like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by frankvb
IMHO it's a bit inconvenient as it will take additional time at check-out (compared to paying by CC), depending on how familiar the property or staff is with it. And 1 or 2 hotels didn't accept them at all (which they are probably not allowed to, but not much I could do about that). After that I mentioned at check-in I wanted to use them to avoid them finalising charging the CC before checking out.

I would never get a gift card again for that reason unless there is a very significant financial gain (the one I got was bought with an AMEX $100 back for $500 spend offer, which isn't enough considering the hassle I had using it).
I generally have them apply the gift card prior to checkout. Even if I'm putting the full bill on the gift card, that ensures there's at least one agent who has handled a gift card in the recent past.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
See my post #247. I am very happy to put up with the inconvenience to save 20%. Guess thats what happens when you dont travel on OPM.
SPN Lifer and Tanic like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
In my case, it was very hard to even find a hotel that even sold gift cards. There are about 15 Marriotts within striking distance of where I live and only one of them sold GCs. When I got there, it literally took them 45 minutes to process the transaction. However, redeeming them proved surprisingly easy after the horror stories I've read here and on other forums. Every property I used them at redeemed them no problem and these were all smaller properties in smaller cities and towns. I guess it all comes down to how knowledgeable the staff is. That being said, it shouldn't be that hard to issue or redeem them. You never hear these issues at McDonald's or Old Navy about their GCs.
SPN Lifer and yscleo like this.
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:12 pm

Yea, I only purchased the gift cards via a 100 off $500 AMEX promo a while back. Are there any specific types of hotels / hotel brands / locations that typically have problems with this or are they all over the place?
Old Apr 6, 2023, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yea, I only purchased the gift cards via a 100 off $500 AMEX promo a while back. Are there any specific types of hotels / hotel brands / locations that typically have problems with this or are they all over the place?
There's no pattern. There were more problems at the beginning, but I'm finding more hotels can process them without issue now. I've used them on all the continents.
SPN Lifer and mjliangco like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 2:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage 2MM+ Lifetime PLT; BA, CO, UA, US; SPG; HHonors Gold
Can you use Marriott Gift Cards on Homes and Villas by Marriott?
Old Jun 20, 2023, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rj123456
Can you use Marriott Gift Cards on Homes and Villas by Marriott?
Looks like no.

The following Marriott Hotel Brands DO NOT accept Marriott GiftCards: Bulgari, Design Hotels™, Homes & Villas by Marriott Bonvoy, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, The Ritz-Carlton Residences, The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection.

https://gifts.marriott.com
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 12:06 pm

Has anyone purchased Marriott GC in Metro Vancouver area in Canada? Which hotels are selling them and have staff familiar with the process?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naticom
Has anyone purchased Marriott GC in Metro Vancouver area in Canada? Which hotels are selling them and have staff familiar with the process?
I have. I posted a list in post #6 here.

Hotels that sell physical Marriott gift cards - FlyerTalk Forums

As a matter of fact, I just bought a gift card at the Marriott downtown Toronto today.

PS: Always call before you go to make sure things haven't changed.
SPN Lifer and Happy like this.
Old Jul 13, 2023, 5:14 pm

I know for sure that the Vancouver Airport Marriott Hotel and the Delta Hotels by Marriott Burnaby Conference Centre both see Marriott GCs
margarita girl and naticom like this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:18 am

anybody successfully use a US-based marriott gift card at a hotel in Sydney AU recently? if yes, which hotel?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:47 pm

Thanks. Do you remember how fast the AMEX offer showed up as redeemed after the charge?

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have. I posted a list in post #6 here.

Hotels that sell physical Marriott gift cards - FlyerTalk Forums

As a matter of fact, I just bought a gift card at the Marriott downtown Toronto today.

PS: Always call before you go to make sure things haven't changed.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by naticom
Thanks. Do you remember how fast the AMEX offer showed up as redeemed after the charge?
I purchased the gift card on Jul 11 and got the confirmation email today Jul 14.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.