FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy Gift Card Use Discussion Thread
Old Apr 22, 2024, 2:00 pm
margarita girl
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by nacho
It works because you have a CAD CC, imagine that you are in Germany and your CC on profile is in CAD - you wouldn't want them to do a refund and then charge your GC. Of course you can do a DCC but there is always a risk that they can't process it. It is not a big risk and never know.

If you do check in after regular hour, the best is to contact the hotel ahead and tell them that you'd like to pay with a GC. I'm 110% sure that the teenage girl who checked us into a CY by SEA has no clue how to charge a GC.
Agreed. My default credit card is actually a no forex fee USD card, but I switched it to my Cdn card for this reservation.

Anyhow, I got an email from the FD Mgr this morning. He said:

As we are a franchised hotel, we do participate in the gift card program. However configuration has not been set up which is why we couldn't process the transaction.
However, i can see that your invoice has already been finalized to your amex. Is this done on purpose or did you want to charge your gift card to then refund your amex?

Please let me know and it will be my pleasure to assist you accordingly.
I asked him to refund the credit card and charge the gift card.