Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Happy to report that my missing points from last month posted on Mar 26 without any intervention from me and my points from this month posted on Mar 27. All good!

But mine didn’t post this month! Gahhhh! I followed all the tips and rules whatnot. Oh well
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
But mine didn’t post this month! Gahhhh! I followed all the tips and rules whatnot. Oh well
Unless you really need the points, I'd just sit tight. They'll show up eventually.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Unless you really need the points, I'd just sit tight. They'll show up eventually.
Not at all. I’m sitting on half a million points atm..
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 28, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: SPG, SPG Amex, Aeroplan, etc
Annual Fee Charged During Covid.

Hi there, any direction on what's going on with Annual Fees, especially now during covid? Mine was just charged and I know I would get points credits every other year when it was the SPG Amex. I haven't really been concerned with it since the Bonvoy added the annual free night but at the same time I don't want to throw any potential bonuses or credits away if they're common practice, right?
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:16 pm

I just noticed this on Amex website
A special offer to serve you better during this time.

Earn 5 points for every $1 in grocery, food delivery & takeout purchases1.

With travel on pause and every day expenses adding up, we understand that the way you use your Card may have changed, and we want to help you get the most value out of your Membership in the areas that matter most right now.

That’s why we’re introducing a limited time offer so that you can continue to experience the value of your Marriott BonvoyTM American Express® Card during this time.

You can now earn 5 Marriott BonvoyTM points for every $1 in eligible purchases on groceries, food delivery and takeout in Canada1.

From May 15, 2020 to August 31, 2020.

That’s an additional 3 points per $1, up to a maximum of 30,000 bonus points.

And remember, you still earn the following on your Card:
  • 5 points for every $1 in eligible Card purchases at Marriott Bonvoy properties
  • 2 points for every $1 in all other Card purchases
Old Jun 2, 2020, 4:15 am

Originally Posted by KevisionB
Hi there, any direction on what's going on with Annual Fees, especially now during covid? Mine was just charged and I know I would get points credits every other year when it was the SPG Amex. I haven't really been concerned with it since the Bonvoy added the annual free night but at the same time I don't want to throw any potential bonuses or credits away if they're common practice, right?
After the AF posted last month I called and they offered $50 off. Back in the SPG days there was a nice points retention bonus, but no dice.
KevisionB likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 10:10 pm

New-ish here so apologies if this is the wrong section. Curious if any experts can answer this

​I got a bonvoy card, hit MSR and got the bonus

i continued using the card after the bonus 3 month period for many more purchases well above MSR

I just found out my cruise that I booked in month 1 will be cancelled and refunded

If for example I spent 10,000 in total including $3000 in the first three months, the MSR was $1500, and I'm getting a $2000 refund, will my MSR bonus get taken away because despite spending $8000 net on the card, the refund was from the first three months putting those months soending now below $1500?

If they will take my points away, will they take them from my Marriott account or leave my CC statement with a negative points balance?

Lastly, if they leave my amex statement balance negative and I decide to close my account, how can I do so in good standing? This was obviously unintentional and out of my control

Thanks and sorry if this is the wrong forum mods please move my thread. Thanks
Old Jun 6, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Yes, they will probably take the bonus away if the refund put your first 3 month spending below the MSR. But, if the points have already been transferred to Marriott, they won't reverse that. So, you keep your Marriott points and have a negative balance on your Amex. This essentially means that any points you earn from now on will be useless since they will just reduce the negative balance.

If this happens, you can call them, explain the situation and ask for a bit of mercy since this wasn't your fault. You may have to call several times in hopes of getting a sympathetic phone agent.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Johnsmith123
New-ish here so apologies if this is the wrong section. Curious if any experts can answer this

i continued using the card after the bonus 3 month period for many more purchases well above MSR

I just found out my cruise that I booked in month 1 will be cancelled and refunded

If for example I spent 10,000 in total including $3000 in the first three months, the MSR was $1500, and I'm getting a $2000 refund, will my MSR bonus get taken away because despite spending $8000 net on the card, the refund was from the first three months putting those months soending now below $1500?

If they will take my points away, will they take them from my Marriott account or leave my CC statement with a negative points balance?

Lastly, if they leave my amex statement balance negative and I decide to close my account, how can I do so in good standing? This was obviously unintentional and out of my control

could you try to get the refund credited to a different card?
Old Jun 6, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by Johnsmith123

This is the one situation where I'd be seriously looking at the future cruise credit rather than a refund.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Low Roller
Yes, they will probably take the bonus away if the refund put your first 3 month spending below the MSR. But, if the points have already been transferred to Marriott, they won't reverse that. So, you keep your Marriott points and have a negative balance on your Amex. This essentially means that any points you earn from now on will be useless since they will just reduce the negative balance.

If this happens, you can call them, explain the situation and ask for a bit of mercy since this wasn't your fault. You may have to call several times in hopes of getting a sympathetic phone agent.
So what will happen if I close the account with a negative points balance one day? Forced to pay for the points? I'd even rather they took points from my bonvoy account bid it means I stay in good standing

I like the suggestion of the refund on a different card but I don't think that's an option
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:52 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
I doubt if they'd force you to repay the points, but you'd probably never get another amex.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Amateur poster here, but was wondering before I spend an hour or two on the phone, my cc has been in use since June 4, 2019, I made the minimum $1500 spend in the first 3 months to be eligible for the 50,000 bonus, and have spent over $40,000 to this day with the card, yet my Marriott account is showing zero points. I'm positive I set up the Marriott account at the same time and added the cc, but nothing, although I have noticed the points on the cc statement. Am I doing something wrong? ...and who do I contact, Amex or Marriott? I guess I should have looked at this a lot earlier but any assistance is much appreciated.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by finnthetim
Amateur poster here, but was wondering before I spend an hour or two on the phone, my cc has been in use since June 4, 2019, I made the minimum $1500 spend in the first 3 months to be eligible for the 50,000 bonus, and have spent over $40,000 to this day with the card, yet my Marriott account is showing zero points. I'm positive I set up the Marriott account at the same time and added the cc, but nothing, although I have noticed the points on the cc statement. Am I doing something wrong? ...and who do I contact, Amex or Marriott? I guess I should have looked at this a lot earlier but any assistance is much appreciated.
Did you specify your Bonvoy account number on your application? If not, Amex would have created a Bonvoy account for you. Is it possible that you have two Bonvoy accounts?

James
Old Jun 8, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan
That will be the problem, pretty sure I did not specify on the application and did the Marriott account separate. Any idea how to obtain that without calling, I don't see it on the cc statement. Thanks for the swift response.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.