Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canadian Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card (General Discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:34 pm

Thanks Margarita

Yes Ontario Canada.

The annoying thing is that we were waiting for those points to book an award , and I only just found out tonight that we could have booked without having the points in the account already, prior to the incr3ease. I'll live with that but still need to make our booking
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Legalbee
Thanks Margarita

Yes Ontario Canada.

The annoying thing is that we were waiting for those points to book an award , and I only just found out tonight that we could have booked without having the points in the account already, prior to the incr3ease. I'll live with that but still need to make our booking
if it makes you feel any better, booking without points only guarantees availability, not the point value, which can increase or decrease until you have enough points to attach a certificate.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
if it makes you feel any better, booking without points only guarantees availability, not the point value, which can increase or decrease until you have enough points to attach a certificate.
It does mske me feel better. The last Marriott rep I spoke with was the one who basically scolded me for not booking before the increase suggesting it was my fault, and had I known the rules I wouldnt have waited for the points to book. Should have known she didnt have it right.
Thanks for that !

Of course it doesnt help that the points should have been there in the first place so that I wouldnt have been in this situation...lol
Old Mar 5, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
It does mske me feel better. The last Marriott rep I spoke with was the one who basically scolded me for not booking before the increase suggesting it was my fault, and had I known the rules I wouldnt have waited for the points to book. Should have known she didnt have it right.
Thanks for that !

Of course it doesnt help that the points should have been there in the first place so that I wouldnt have been in this situation...lol
Keep us posted if/when your points post. My pts were inconsequential last month plus I was already sitting on a large stash so I’m fine to wait, but I would like them eventually.
Old Mar 5, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Keep us posted if/when your points post. My pts were inconsequential last month plus I was already sitting on a large stash so I’m fine to wait, but I would like them eventually.
I got a tip from an Amex rep:

When the ONLY charges on the Amex Marriott card are from Marriott hotels, then it may be delayed one cycle.

Therefore, always charge a coffee or something to your card if you have used the card at a Marriott hotel.

This worked like a charm!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

When the ONLY charges on the Amex Marriott card are from Marriott hotels, then it may be delayed one cycle.

Therefore, always charge a coffee or something to your card if you have used the card at a Marriott hotel.This worked like a charm!
Amazingly, that makes total sense as I had a negative balance in my non-Marriott spend due to many canceled tickets thanks to Covid-19. However, I had a few Marriott charges which offset that, so I earned more Marriott points than what I lost. And my points which usually post around the 25th of the month, have not appeared yet.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:37 am

Amazingly, that makes total sense as I had a negative balance in my non-Marriott spend due to many canceled tickets thanks to Covid-19. However, I had a few Marriott charges which offset that, so I earned more Marriott points than what I lost. And my points which usually post around the 25th of the month, have not appeared yet.

I should have been more clear: always charge a coffee or something that’s NOT at a Marriott hotel to the card if you also used the card at Marriott in the same cycle.

Yeah weird but totally works
Old Mar 6, 2020, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have been more clear: always charge a coffee or something that’s NOT at a Marriott hotel to the card if you also used the card at Marriott in the same cycle.Yeah weird but totally works
It was clear to me. I had about +1000 pts from MAR spend and -30 pts from non-MAR spend. As I said, it's a tiny amount and not worth getting worked up over.

But good to know for the future!
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:13 pm

Therefore, always charge a coffee or something to your card if you have used the card at a Marriott hotel.

Thanks for this. I've been so frustrated by the runaround that I had planned to cancel the card since I dont have the time to chase the points ea month. This hack may keep me from doing that.
Old Mar 6, 2020, 8:14 pm

I received an email today telling me it would take another 7-10 days for the points to post....hopefullly that will happen. I'll let you know !
Old Mar 7, 2020, 8:59 am

Thanks for this. I've been so frustrated by the runaround that I had planned to cancel the card since I dont have the time to chase the points ea month. This hack may keep me from doing that.
I DID cancel one Marriott Amex card after getting three delayed points posting in a row. Kept the business Amex though for the 15 elite nights.
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM

I only learned this recently too, so thanks for posting. It will save others phone calls.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
>tfw no Shop Small With Amex offer and you can't sign up for one unless targeted in your Amex Offers
Old Mar 8, 2020, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
I only learned this recently too, so thanks for posting. It will save others phone calls.
I wonder if same applies to the US card. I have both Cdn and US cards.

Also, any idea if this will self-correct itself without intervention? Perhaps after the next statement?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy to report that my missing points from last month posted on Mar 26 without any intervention from me and my points from this month posted on Mar 27. All good!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.