Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Just a couple post ago, someone said they arrived at 10 a.m. That's 2 hours before the 12 p.m. checkout time.
That was someone with a similar situation in a different thread.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sethb
That was someone with a similar situation in a different thread.
No, it was the same poster (sean1397) who published the nonresponse from Marriott.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting response which suggests it is getting some attention.

I think this highlights that Marriott is trying to figure out how to deal with an owner who is very short term focused.

Lets keep in mind this owner doesn't disclose the penalty at the time the reservation is made and then sends out emails about $32,000 charges if cancelled within 90 days. I realize this hotel is a destination hotel but 90 day cancellation penalty and emails about $32,000 in charge is ludicrous.
AbyssalLoris and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Lets keep in mind this owner doesn't disclose the penalty at the time the reservation is made and then sends out emails about $32,000 charges if cancelled within 90 days. I realize this hotel is a destination hotel but 90 day cancellation penalty and emails about $32,000 in charge is ludicrous.
It's the management. And the management is Marriott, not the owner or the owner's asset manager. The owner hires Marriott and Marriott manages the property in keeping with its policies, based on the budget approved by the owner or owner's asset manager.

I highly doubt the owner came up with this scheme. It's a general manager. Any front desk manager or operations director works for the general manager and takes orders from the general manager, not the owner or owner's asset manager.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
OP notified the hotel he'd be late prior to checkout time (the day of arrival on the reservation, actually) but didn't physically arrive until after checkout time.
If I'm on a 5 day booking and have informed the hotel that I won't be using the room the first night, but will pay for it, what does checkout time on day two have to do with anything?
The problem here is, in an era of OLCI, the hotel neglected to check him in when he called. From the way this has played out, it's clear they did this with the clear intention of undercutting common practice and using their own failure to cook up a charge which they then neglected to inform him of until he concluded - and of course, paid for - the rest of his booking. Frankly, it's despicable and indefensible. The fact that Marriott seemingly endorsed this malpractice is equally contemptible and besmirches their brand.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:11 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by rickg523
If I'm on a 5 day booking and have informed the hotel that I won't be using the room the first night, but will pay for it, what does checkout time on day two have to do with anything?
The problem here is, in an era of OLCI, the hotel neglected to check him in when he called. From the way this has played out, it's clear they did this with the clear intention of undercutting common practice and using their own failure to cook up a charge which they then neglected to inform him of until he concluded - and of course, paid for - the rest of his booking. Frankly, it's despicable and indefensible. The fact that Marriott seemingly endorsed this malpractice is equally contemptible and besmirches their brand.
It is wrong for hotel to check in a guest without the guest presence. The hotel will not go through a proper document check. The contract between the hotel and Marriott would not allow such loophole that the hotel can just improve occupancy with little cost.

We can all be whatever elite level we want so long as we can find a hotel allowing check in without physical presence.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:18 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by freed0m
It is wrong for hotel to check in a guest without the guest presence.
They already provide this service. Marriott App | The Perfect Travel Companion®
Old Apr 11, 2019, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet

They already provide this service. Marriott App The Perfect Travel Companion®
That's not an actual checkin. You still need go to front desk for document check. Or in some hotels, you don't need?

Can I just book a lot of nights in some cheap hotels and mobile checkin all of them without any physical presence?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
There are travelers who want to have a early check-in, perhaps way early in the morning. The conventional wisdom has been that you should not count on the hotel to give you an early check-in. If you want to make sure that you can check-in at 7 am, for example, you should have booked and paid for the room for the night before.

Now with the Marriott's T&C, they can cancel your reservation for the first night, and charge you whatever amount they want but have not told you?
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's the management. And the management is Marriott, not the owner or the owner's asset manager. The owner hires Marriott and Marriott manages the property in keeping with its policies, based on the budget approved by the owner or owner's asset manager.

I highly doubt the owner came up with this scheme. It's a general manager. Any front desk manager or operations director works for the general manager and takes orders from the general manager, not the owner or owner's asset manager.
You may be right but I think its more likely that this property is being managed under a legacy SPG contract and the owner reserves the right to establish cancellation and other policies. If this was a Marriott policy, we'd see it elsewhere. Additionally, this is pretty consistent with De Baets approach to the REIT and blockchain
Twickenham likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Oh mighty Zeus. What to do? If I arrive before official check in time at 12pm, I should book the night before so I have a room available at 7am, right?

But now these gods of hospitality in Aspen would call me a no show if I don't arrive before Big Ben strikes 12.
​​​​
​​ I thought it would cost an extra night for the convenience of having 5 hours to bathe in the Aspen spring water, not the price of a BMW series 3. Even Helen is not worth that.

What to do mighty Zeus?

[I burn some lamb in sacrifice]

Zeus says to me, go to another chain. Hyatt. Hilton. 4S. Anyone not blackened with the tint of Arne.

I did this with Hard Rock once. I flew 20 hours and wanted a room guaranteed at 8am when I arrived as I didn't want to wait until noon so I booked night before.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:42 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
That's not an actual checkin. You still need go to front desk for document check. Or in some hotels, you don't need?

Can I just book a lot of nights in some cheap hotels and mobile checkin all of them without any physical presence?
Just stayed in 2 different Marriott properties in Houston. Both hotels supported E-key. Never interacted with the front desk at either property. Got to hotel, got in elevator, went to my room.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by genotonda
Just stayed in 2 different Marriott properties in Houston. Both hotels supported E-key. Never interacted with the front desk at either property. Got to hotel, got in elevator, went to my room.
This is increasingly more common, including at legacy Starwood properties.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It is wrong for hotel to check in a guest without the guest presence. The hotel will not go through a proper document check. The contract between the hotel and Marriott would not allow such loophole that the hotel can just improve occupancy with little cost.
Simply not true, as already noted above.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by genotonda
Which hotel and how much is the room rate?

No document check required? Is it because you are American? Can foreigners do the same?

if cheap enough, I would like to book some nights.

I haven't stayed at a hotel which did not require passport check. Maybe because I only stay in hotel when abroad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.