Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2019, 12:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I think the lesson learned - if you make a high end booking with points - make sure you plan to show up in the booking period.
Maybe you missed the part where OP was flight delayed?
IndyHoosier, strickerj and Dav77 like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by EdofFX
No, only those greedy hotel owners who wanted to gouge their customers at every opportunity would be disappointed. The rest of the world will be happy to see a fair outcome.
Shame on Heather Steenge-Hart the greedy arrogant general manager of this hotel
cockpitvisit and Dav77 like this.
Old May 11, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
I think the lesson learned - if you make a high end booking with points - make sure you plan to show up in the booking period.
no matter how much you 'make sure', there is little you can do if your flight is delayed or cancelled....
Old May 11, 2019, 1:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Keyser
no matter how much you 'make sure', there is little you can do if your flight is delayed or cancelled....
Perhaps he means we should only make "high end bookings with points" in our home towns, preferably within walking distance
Old May 11, 2019, 2:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium
Really quite shocking and outrageous to me that Marriott let this go on as long as it did without proactively stepping in.

In this day and age, Marriott simply must have a better grip on their social media presence and employ lurkers here who should have made them aware of this situation and nipped it in the bud.

Guessing that Starwood lurkers are no more...

Although I'm pleased that this was finally resolved, it is just another example of yet another deaf, short-sided act on the part of corporate (aka "noise around the edges"); I, for one, have lost brand loyalty to a considerable extent and moved a significant number of my stays to IHG (Kimpton mainly) and Hilton where I can be assured of lounge access/breakfast as a Diamond (and I am "only" a gold at Marriott).

Reading about the whole experience really leaves a bad taste in my mouth as a Marriott consumer, and I am wholly removed from the initial situation, luckily it did not occur to me!

Unimpressed.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotelboy
And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome.
Whatever you say, Martin Shkreli...
Old May 11, 2019, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by hotelboy
And hotel owners and managers around the world groan in pain at this outcome.

Sound like the hotel got strong armed by Marriott.
Has anyone figured out which hotel you own? Would be great to know so FT'ers can avoid it.
Old May 11, 2019, 7:57 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
In this day and age, Marriott simply must have a better grip on their social media presence and employ lurkers here who should have made them aware of this situation and nipped it in the bud.

Guessing that Starwood lurkers are no more...
Not sure why you would guess this. They're still here although under new about names of "Marriott Bonvoy Lurker", II, III, etc. and William posted in this thread.

Originally Posted by Kacee
... I was trying to figure out if this thread was listed in "Trending" or the FT front page/TalkMail to explain the drop-ins and drive-bys...
Old May 11, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by DAV2355711
Although I'm pleased that this was finally resolved, it is just another example of yet another deaf, short-sided act on the part of corporate (aka "noise around the edges"); I, for one, have lost brand loyalty to a considerable extent and moved a significant number of my stays to IHG (Kimpton mainly) and Hilton where I can be assured of lounge access/breakfast as a Diamond (and I am "only" a gold at Marriott).
I'd put a different spin on this as there are no reports on FT of such a draconian policy by other Marriott properties.

The St. Regis Aspen is owned by Stephane De Baets who runs a private equity firm called Elevated Returns. Mr. De Baets tried to take the company public as the only single asset REIT. However, it never happened and I would personally suspect it was because of the lack of investor interest as REIT's generally attract those looking for a reliable diversified return based on the long term.

See ... https://therealdeal.com/la/2018/02/0...le-asset-reit/

Once that didn't happen, he decided to sell it as the first "Blockchain REIT." Some might suggest that being the first blockchain REIT doesn't change the fundamental dynamics of a REIT based on a single asset. But, a focus on blockchain and cryptocurrency can lead to a more short term focus.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/09/e...d-real-estate/

I'd strongly suspect that Mr. DeBaets/Elevated Returns directed this policy and the GM is following the owners directive.

In contrast, I just stayed at a couple of properties owned by Al Habtoor, but managed by Marriott International. I'm confident they think about those properties from a long term perspective with a focus on their reputation and repeat business, rather than the need to promote short term returns.

I'm a little surprised the OP didn't escalate this the owner ...
TSparky likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I’m glad to hear it worked out for the OP, but I must say it’s not ideal that corporate had to get involved and the hotel management appears to have resisted to the end. That doesn’t instill confidence for future issues of this nature. I wonder how many guests are still getting hit with this fee and not bothering to fight it?
Old May 11, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I didn't miss that at all - my point is, for the high end properties who have these no show penalties - consider booking day 1 or even day 2 as a regular booking - and the rest with points. Or, don't book at all. Or, don't use points at these properties.
Old May 11, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I didn't miss that at all - my point is, for the high end properties who have these no show penalties - consider booking day 1 or even day 2 as a regular booking - and the rest with points. Or, don't book at all. Or, don't use points at these properties.
don't book at all... That is correct

The onus shouldn't be on the guest to book several reservations mixed with points and cash simply so they don't get charged for being delayed.

I'm glad op got his money back. Good on Marriott. But shows property still stinks
Old May 11, 2019, 11:42 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Good advice, but seeking a more Zen-like experience, I'd choose to just stay at a property that would not cause me to have to play tricks in order to not get screwed.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA GGL + GfL
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Shame on Heather Steenge-Hart the greedy arrogant general manager of this hotel
This hasn’t done her any harm, on the contrary - rewarded with a promotion!

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/appoi.../79018299.html
Old May 11, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BA_Pax

This hasn’t done her any harm, on the contrary - rewarded with a promotion!

https://www.hospitalitynet.org/appoi.../79018299.html
Wow. So much for the thought that Marriott “came down hard” on the hotel. Maybe the new GM is actually a human.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.