Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by cletraveler
OP here: to dispel any speculation, this remains completely unresolved. I will post some details when I have some spare time but, to date, the hotel manager and Marriott are holding firm on this. Very disappointed in how this has been handled (or not handled).
Well All Flyertalkers who are Marriott members should boycott ALL hotels owned by this company.
So not suggesting a boycott of St. Regis. But rather the owner.
And often owners have hotels manged by various other brands, i.e, Hilton?
Wyndham, Intercontinental etc,
C17PSGR and levilevi like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Well, I have a stay booked at a St. Regis tonight. My flight was delayed. I probably won't arrive until after midnight. I messaged hotel to say I will be there and to reserve room. They said already set up way I like and not to worry...

This is how it should work. If they charged me a no show fee even if I showed up late, there would be an issue.

It amazes me that both Marriott and the property not budging. It just doesn't make any sense.

Me? I have already moved more stays to Hyatt than I ever would've planned. Their CS superior though I prefer Starwood properties.

The owner who posts here shows everything that is wrong with Marriott's culture
PointWeasel, Happy, UA-NYC and 9 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by writetorich
Well All Flyertalkers who are Marriott members should boycott ALL hotels owned by this company.
So not suggesting a boycott of St. Regis. But rather the owner.
And often owners have hotels manged by various other brands, i.e, Hilton?
Wyndham, Intercontinental etc,
Elevated Returns/Stephane De Baets owns this property. It doesn't appear they own any other hotels.

ER-RE ? Elevated Returns

As you can see, they are trying to do something with blockchain and REITs "Our focus is to acquire assets with potential for tokenization."

https://venturebeat.com/2018/10/09/e...d-real-estate/

You're not hearing anything about providing investors with long term returns or a focus on hospitality and customer service. One presumes that since we're not seeing this issue across the board, this is a policy directed by the owner. Further, since the owner is focused on blockchain "tokenization," short term is king. Some months ago, he tried to establish the first single asset REIT but the market didn't go for it so he withdrew it, which suggests the numbers/risk wasn't compelling.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
I am told that Marriott emailed all SPG members about two years ago when the acquisition happened - before the "start-up date" that their rules would be followed after the merger. It would appear that no one took the time to read those new rules and assumed the old would stay in place.
-
and CLE and Just: if you read further my "cancellation" included "cancellation. - both within the window, last minute, no-shows, etc". I clearly stated he was a no show. And so far no one has appreciated that the SPR did not cancel his entire reservation as they normally do for a no-show.

From hoteliers.com (a site for hotel owners)

No-shows
If a hotel guest is not arriving at your hotel on the booked arrival date and also did not cancel the reservation:
  • You are entitled to charge a no-show fee
  • You don’t need to keep up the reservation any longer (if booked for more than 1 night) and you can sell it to another customer
  • To charge the no show fee please use the credit card which has been supplied as guarantee in the booking.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gadot
I am told that Marriott emailed all SPG members about two years ago when the acquisition happened - before the "start-up date" that their rules would be followed after the merger. It would appear that no one took the time to read those new rules and assumed the old would stay in place.
-
and CLE and Just: if you read further my "cancellation" included "cancellation. - both within the window, last minute, no-shows, etc". I clearly stated he was a no show. And so far no one has appreciated that the SPR did not cancel his entire reservation as they normally do for a no-show.

No-shows
If a hotel guest is not arriving at your hotel on the booked arrival date and also did not cancel the reservation:
  • You don’t need to keep up the reservation any longer (if booked for more than 1 night) and you can sell it to another customer
  • To charge the no show fee please use the credit card which has been supplied as guarantee in the booking.
So if he had cancelled, he'd have been charged the cancellation penalty. But since he called and said he'd be checking in on day two of his stay, but to please hold the room, he's charged the no show fee. And it's not mentioned until check out.
Oh yeah, I'll be staying at that hotel anytime soon. They're such outstanding travel partners!
ksucats and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
-

No-shows
He was NOT a no-show.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Moondog and Gray.
Moondog Thanks - many of my posts in other threads have been tagged.
As I understand it, OPs contract did state that points would be reversed, and cash charged but he could request reverse. As I said, I think the hotel blew it and not what mine would have done. But they did follow the Marriott rules. And I believe the cash cancellation notes states "that night's rate" and the point said applicable which would be the same. I don't believe he has a legal angle, but someone who got burned by a cup of McDonald's coffee won....
My question is: Marriott has had those rules for long time. SPG sold to them and ? agreed with new rules? Should not you all be pissed at SPG and not Marriott. Yes Marriott is the big dog now, but it was SPG who sold you out? And with a no-show, the computer eliminates the entire stay. Thankfully this did not happen to them so at least the hotel had some respect.
We all agree that SR Aspen really blew it - esp with the multiple contacts. But I will defend Marriott. They followed their rules. This story is "one" cancellation. But it is probably not the only one the hotel had for that night - both within the window, last minute, no-shows, etc. Do they let them all off the hook? I think you all would agree they should not. Should they let someone who calls several times, trys to get there and does 30 min after cut-off time off the hook-- I think we all agree they should have.
IANAL and no expert in contracts, but is it not generally understood that when an company is purchased, the purchaser assumes both the assets and liabilities? So, in a hotel purchase, one gets the reservation nights already on the books. One also inherits the commitments made by the previous owner.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
-

No-shows
OP wasn't a no-show. And is hoteliers.com now the source I should be checking for terms and conditions of my future stays?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:19 am

I am told...
Any message that starts with this can automatically be disregarded.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 11:24 am

Even if this is true, a hotel can choose to go above and beyond the minimum rules as stated by Marriott. And this property did do that by sending the OP a confirmation that he would be allowed to forfeit points instead of the cash penalty. Now whether the property meant to allow the forfeiture of points or not is of no concern to the OP. The fact is they did and it is a contract separate from the overall T&C of the program and the T&C of the actual reservation need to be honored.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Trollin, trollin, trollin...
yjc281, strickerj and Jaunts like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by justforfun
He was NOT a no-show.
CLE and Just
By definition he was a no show. And Marriott sent him notice that the contract had changed - he could have cancelled then if he disagreed. My last post as most of you all wear blinders and see it just from one side. I try to say I think the hotel was wrong (but not incorrect) and you still argue. And it was SPG and the Regis Aspen, not Marriott you should be mad at - but you all are upset at loosing SPG that you are mad at Marriott. If there was a flood tomorrow, you would probably blame Marriott..
Old Apr 5, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
No one (save for a Marriott hotel owner not well versed in CS) would consider showing up a day later due to extreme travel difficulty (and having alerted the property) to be a "no show".

The logic (or lack thereof) is mind boggling.
ksucats, yjc281, wrp96 and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
hoteliers.com is a website (in french) sold by Sequoiasoft as

"The hotel software that meets the challenges of independent hotels"

so perhaps his/her claim to be a Marriott owner should be taken with this knowledge in mind!
Happy likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

@Gadot

As you know, most of us disagree with your idea that SPG contracts can be converted into Marriott contracts without customer consent. We (customers) had no role, whatsoever, in the merger.

That having been said, I really appreciate your input here, and will alert mods if anyone attempts to hound you or your property.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.