Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott LT Au, Hilton C, IHG PtA
Having been delayed, had issues and whatnot during travels; whenever I've had travel snafu's I've called the hotel front-desk and informed them that I was delayed, that I was still going to need my room and would pay the original length of my stay. The same as what the OP has done. What matters to me is that 1) I have informed the hotel that I will be arriving later than planned and 2) will honour my financial obligation for the entire stay.

Thus if #1 and #2 have been articulated there should be no need for additional costs charged etc (unless there's costs already made - i.e. airport transfers etc). Night-sweeps of systems, front-desks to check you in, etc - those are all the back-end systems that the customer does and should not care about. As long as one has communicated to the hotel (via the front-desk) what the situation is. If a hotel feels that because of the circumstances they'll modify my reservation to have me arriving the next day without penalties, I'll gladly take it and spend it on room service or other things - I have had very high-end properties (SPG and Marriott, but also Hiltons - and also lower end ones) do that despite me stressing at check-in that I was planning on being billed and paying for the original length of stay.

In OP's case it seems that despite him informing the hotel (of #1 and #2 ) the hotel did something "strange" (and in the aftermath is well aware of the negative effects for the customer!). If this was a helpful Customer Service front-desk agent issue that by modifying the reservation to take a day off (hence points being returned automatically it seems) and thus inadvertently triggering their own No-Show fees, then a service manager should be able to clear that all up quite easily on the spot. The fact that they didn't, means there's other factors in play. Could be from OP's side, could be from a communication point of view, could be an issue between Marriott and the hotel, or simply that the hotel is trying to maximize revenue through unscrupulous ways (other reports are indicative of the later).

That the original reservation was made under SPG rules (OP clarified that I believe), allowing the forfeiture of points in case of a cancellation/no-show, only adds insult to injury since it's not being honoured by Marriott (who assumed _all_ of Starwoods obligations as part of the acquisition, it wasn't a liquidation!).
The other side of this is that if this issue is being worked on internally by Marriott, they can't speak up or give any impressions to that end. Heck, even if they want to tell OP that they -being Marriott Bonvoy- believe he's completely right and they're talking to the property to get them to stop being pompous asses, they can't do that. They of course should actually tell OP it's being worked on, but for OP (and us :P ) that's similar to looking at the File Copy Progress Indicator on Windows '95. I have my own gripes with Marriott, but I can also understand that if the property is being an ..., escalations take time. Starwood in the past seemed to be much better and quicker in making the customer whole (perhaps by eating some of the costs themselves!).
LedgeT likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I have multiple other award reservations were all of them have the same terms where they state " Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline." and the fee is not defined anywhere, nor can I find what that mysterious fee would be on the Marriott site.

And as some others have said, I've also had reservations where I was delayed due to flight issues and I contacted the hotel and they simple held the res as if I had checked in. In some cases they didn't charge anything since they knew I was having travel issues and still arrived the next day. Simply absurd the abysmal treatment of this property to the OP.

To the OP: Have you tried contacting directly the Marriott execs I previously listed? Or have you also contacted Elliot consumer advocacy? They can provide a lot of assistance in cases like this where the consumer is being treated unfairly.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rylan
I have multiple other award reservations were all of them have the same terms where they state " Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline." and the fee is not defined anywhere, nor can I find what that mysterious fee would be on the Marriott site.

And as some others have said, I've also had reservations where I was delayed due to flight issues and I contacted the hotel and they simple held the res as if I had checked in. In some cases they didn't charge anything since they knew I was having travel issues and still arrived the next day. Simply absurd the abysmal treatment of this property to the OP.

To the OP: Have you tried contacting directly the Marriott execs I previously listed? Or have you also contacted Elliot consumer advocacy? They can provide a lot of assistance in cases like this where the consumer is being treated unfairly.
IMO, the OP has a pretty strong legal case because the contract he agreed to did not specify a cash penalty. If Marriott could provide proof of delivery for the new contract, they might be able to defend their position, but it appears this is not the case (i.e. email doesn't count). Upthread, someone suggested to contact the Colorado AG; assuming the hotel and/or Marriott stick to their guns, I like this approach.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
In this case, my damage would be limited to the discounted price the buyer was offered - because had he taken the offer, the discounted price would have been all that I got anyway. All I lost from him not buying the product is the discounted price he would have paid.

The lost "full price" happened when I sold him the product, not when he canceled the order. The ability to resell the same product at full price was never there.

It's quite surprising someone sees this differently.
Couldn't have said it better myself. A lot of false equivalences being suggested in some of these posts.
EdofFX and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
This thread has become a complete disgrace: a bunch of people stalking a poster, wanting to out his/her name and place of business (certainly not to send him/her a box of chocolates) just because s/he dared express his/her opinion on the thread’s subject, which happens to deviate from the accepted established narrative. Shame!
I don't think so. Said poster has expressed customer unfriendly opinions and not only that, but disdain for some customers as well: read comment to the effect of "I don't care if you're a lifetime whatever unless you achieved this by paying my property", a view roundly incompatible with the concept of a loyalty program and status in a CHAIN of hotels. It is entirely reasonable for potential customers to want to know the property owned by this poster, so as to avoid it. I would certainly do so at all costs, if I knew. Such owners should just stay out of loyalty programs and chains. Sounds like everybody would be happier that way.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by hotelboy
The St. Regis is just following its contract you agreed to when you accepted the terms and conditions. You had ample opportunity to cancel before hand if you did not like the terms they were offering. What would have happened if somehow you did get to Aspen and they had sold your room?
Not any contract is legal. Contracts that violate human rights, decency or common sense should be considered null and void. If the contract says bend over and take it, will you ? Stop this American attitude of considering private contracts sacred. The state and courts must step in to protect the little guy from the powerful and resourceful corporations.
moondog, Brendan, jupper and 6 others like this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:53 pm

deleted post

Last edited by jrpallante; Apr 9, 2019 at 2:56 pm Reason: Delete post
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
How do you verify whether the property was able to resell "your" room? They could, for instance, ask for an absurdly high price so that it doesn't sell, or make your room the last one to sell for the night, so that you're charged unless the property is full that night.
That is Marriott thinking. B&Bs are small businesses that actually value their customers and appreciate repeat business. I think I have only had to cancel one time, and I was not charged, because they told me that they were able to resell the room. Of course, I understand that most larger hotel companies routinely flaunt their mendacity, and they even warn you in advance that you will be screwed if your plans change. If you do not trust the proprietor of a B&B, you can usually check the availability calendar on line.
rickg523 likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
This thread has become a complete disgrace: a bunch of people stalking a poster, wanting to out his/her name and place of business (certainly not to send him/her a box of chocolates) just because s/he dared express his/her opinion on the thread’s subject, which happens to deviate from the accepted established narrative. Shame!
I guess that depends on your point of view. This poster in question is generating a large number of posts, and being confrontational with others on this board. That is also the definition of trolling. So the poster might be riling people up on purpose specifically to get a reaction from other FT members.

An Internet troll is a member of an online social community who deliberately tries to disrupt, attack, offend or generally cause trouble within the community by posting certain comments, photos, videos, GIFs or some other form of online content.
Trolls do this to attract attention. They think it's fun. In all likelihood, if people on this board ignored the troll, then the trolling would stop. It doesn't look like that's going to happen, though.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by cletraveler
hotelboy and joakgarp, with respect, I think you are both missing the point.

The rooms were already paid in full in points. The hotel is not out anything by me not showing up until the second day of my 5 night stay. Likewise, sean1397's rooms were fully paid for in advance with points. Please help me understand how the hotel is losing money when we don't show up on the first night of a reservation that is fully paid. The hotel need not do anything w.r.t. reselling the room so it is irrelevant (at least how I see things) as to whether reselling is an option. Further, at least in my specific situation, I let the hotel know that I would not arrive until the afternoon the next day. Optionally, the hotel could have sold my rooms for the 1st night and made some extra dough if there was demand (i.e., they would receive whatever value they get from my points booking plus optionally cash if the room could be resold).
44 pages later, I still do not understand Marriott's logic in accessing a no-show fee when the rooms were already paid in full with points. When we make an award reservation, the points are deducted instantly. If we are late or show up a day later, just keep the points. I really don't think the hotel would lose anything by just taking the points. Even if Marriott can write T&C any way it wants, does it have to be so mean to its most loyal customers?

What is the goal of a loyalty program again? I know both the hotel and Marriott have been silent publicly on this incident, may be they should come out and explain their logic and reasons.
AbyssalLoris, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Was going to book a Marriott in SD (The Fairfield Inn at Jamestown), price of the room was 93$ (AAA rate)...when cancelling or no-showing, I would be forced to pay 204.82$... I think that's ridiculous. Again, forfeiting the amount paid, soit...but even paying a fine on top of that. Guess Marriott wants to incorporate their lunacy in all their hotels now...

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 17, 2019 (2 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that we will assess a fee of 204.82 USD if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
strickerj and Maestro Ramen like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Thysk
Was going to book a Marriott in SD (The Fairfield Inn at Jamestown), price of the room was 93$ (AAA rate)...when cancelling or no-showing, I would be forced to pay 204.82$... I think that's ridiculous. Again, forfeiting the amount paid, soit...but even paying a fine on top of that. Guess Marriott wants to incorporate their lunacy in all their hotels now...
  • You may cancel your reservation for no charge until September 17, 2019 (2 day[s] before arrival).
    • Please note that we will assess a fee of 204.82 USD if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
did you book a two-day reservation? I tested your issue and only see a penalty for one night if I book a 1-day reservation but in your amount if I book a two-day reservation. The difference between the room rate in that amount are the state taxes.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:41 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
did you book a two-day reservation? I tested your issue and only see a penalty for one night if I book a 1-day reservation but in your amount if I book a two-day reservation. The difference between the room rate in that amount are the state taxes.
So basically that means
- if you book using cash a flexible rate and no-show you will be charged for 1 night (this is the standard rule for basic hotels with 48h cancellation policy).
- if you book using points and no-show you will get the points back and be charged for the whole stay.
So, another devaluation of the program.
At some point, the only remaining value of Bonvoy points will be transfer to airlines...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
So basically that means
- if you book using cash a flexible rate and no-show you will be charged for 1 night (this is the standard rule for basic hotels with 48h cancellation policy).
- if you book using points and no-show you will get the points back and be charged for the whole stay.
So, another devaluation of the program.
At some point, the only remaining value of Bonvoy points will be transfer to airlines...
The poster said he reserved at a AAA rate of $93 so nothing to do with points. I suspect the poster reserved two nights and the hotel penalty is for those two nights, plus tax.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
The poster said he reserved at a AAA rate of $93 so nothing to do with points. I suspect the poster reserved two nights and the hotel penalty is for those two nights, plus tax.
Ok, maybe I misunderstood, I thought the AAA rate was for reference. So if the penalty is for 2 nights + tx at the same rate, I think it's ok (definitely not customer friendly when generally the penalty is one night but it's fine as long as it's clearly stated)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.