Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by freed0m

Then why still have no-show? I already paid. Can get nights and points?
I think you need to check in and stay past mid-night to get the stay credit. Even if you check in, you don't get stay credit if you check out before mid-night. That has been the accepted norm. You will still get points for the spend, show or no-show.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EdofFX
I think you need to check in and stay past mid-night to get the stay credit. Even if you check in, you don't get stay credit if you check out before mid-night. That has been the accepted norm. You will still get points for the spend, show or no-show.
If you're a no show, you don't earn points.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
I can't understand why some folks feel the need to check-out physically...in-person.

JUST leave the property.

Many times, If I pass a houskeeper, I might say "Room ### checking out, thank you" or sometimes if passing back by the FD, I'll say similar.

I only stop at the FD if something is needed. That's it.

simple, just leave. You're then checked-out.

And I really do hope the StR burns to the ground. Figuratively.
levilevi and rickg523 like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Checking out in person can be the only reasonable way to get a bill for the stay, unless you consider it reasonable to call the hotel five times after you've left, call your Ambassador severeal times, try repeatedly on the Starriott website, etc.
KRSW and ethernal like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you're a no show, you don't earn points.
So if I used my Marriott credit card to reserve a room, no show, and the hotel put a charge to my Marriott credit card, I won't get the points? Both from the folio and the credit card spend?

I have no actual experience in no show. But if the hotel put through a charge, I would expect to earn points on that charge. No?
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
So if I used my Marriott credit card to reserve a room, no show, and the hotel put a charge to my Marriott credit card, I won't get the points? Both from the folio and the credit card spend?

I have no actual experience in no show. But if the hotel put through a charge, I would expect to earn points on that charge. No?
I mean of course you'll get the credit card spend. But we're obviously talking about base spend points - which are nearly 3 times the credit card spend points (not considering taxes at least).
Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:23 pm

No points from the hotel, but you would get the usual points or miles if you charge it to a credit card that gives points for all purchases, such as AmEx MR points or DL miles. I don't know the specifics of rules for Marriott affiliated credit cards.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Checking out in person can be the only reasonable way to get a bill for the stay
Yeah given the problems with stays posting, I don't leave SPG properties without a print of the bill these days.
KRSW and Zorak like this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by sean1397
The good things are they are looking into it and they admitted the confirmation email does not say anything about this potential charge.

The bad things are it has been weeks to get a no response response, they need an executive level to give a $1100 refund, and even now I have not received any part of their terms and conditions that defines a no show. That was specifically asked - where on your website or in your terms does it say showing up at 10AM after calling the hotel to say you would do this is no show. They have two real issues here - we were not a no show and no where does Marriott define a no show in their terms.
this has the writing of a major class action law suit

can you imagine how many people have been assessed fees that hotels/marriott may not have been able to legally assess?

we could be talking about millions of dollars in play going back many years all because of a poorly defined contract

Last edited by mysterym; Apr 15, 2019 at 6:03 am
Old Apr 15, 2019, 7:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mysterym
we could be talking about millions of dollars in play going back many years all because of a poorly defined contract
Without commenting on the remainder of your post, I believe this is a brand new practice which came with the merger, and is mostly being employed by SPG properties which seem to object to Marriott's award prices and reimbursement policies.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Without commenting on the remainder of your post, I believe this is a brand new practice which came with the merger, and is mostly being employed by SPG properties which seem to object to Marriott's award prices and reimbursement policies.
even if its somewhat new, it sounds like its been going on for a year or two now? all i am saying is there is potential many more were impacted and money taken when perhaps it should not have been.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mysterym
even if its somewhat new, it sounds like its been going on for a year or two now? all i am saying is there is potential many more were impacted and money taken when perhaps it should not have been.
I'm interested in an award stay at this hotel, or the Deer Valley St. Regis, but they both have these outrageous penalties. I'm looking at a $30,000 penalty if my outbound flight is cancelled for some reason and I can't get there in time to check-in for the first night. I don't have a high enough credit limit to support that. But if forced to repay the debt I would have to declare bankruptcy. I wonder if that would make headlines?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I'm interested in an award stay at this hotel, or the Deer Valley St. Regis, but they both have these outrageous penalties. I'm looking at a $30,000 penalty if my outbound flight is cancelled for some reason and I can't get there in time to check-in for the first night. I don't have a high enough credit limit to support that. But if forced to repay the debt I would have to declare bankruptcy. I wonder if that would make headlines?
If the deposit can't be charged to your credit card or if the property tries to get a preauthorization before arrival and fails, they're likely to cancel your reservation.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by User Name
Ts&Cs or not, it’s ridiculous. The room had already been paid for once, so why the need to pay a second time? I’d give the hotel 5 days to refund and then if they haven’t, initiate a chargeback. Let’s see what the credit card company thinks of this.
I agree. You paid for a room but didnt sleep in it intil the second night. I don't get the no show fee.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey

Or, you could decide to avoid these properties for paid or award stays until they pull their policies in line with reality. There is a nice W-A in PC and I don't believe they have such penalties.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.