Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
The "given the location of the hotel, bla bla bla" is pure BS. Nobody have asked not to pay for the missed night. Just keep the points which have been used to book it and that's it.

That's said, at least they say they are looking at that at a corporate level, so maybe we will hear new developments at some point...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sean1397
Here is where we are at this point.

If you read between the lines, it sounds as if corporate is trying to get this resolved but the property won't budge. Of course, corporate manages this property.

I think it's time the Colorado attorney general's consumer protection division or whatever entity in Colorado enforces consumer protection is involved with this matter. Neither Marriott nor the property seem to appreciate that the entire stay was paid for and this wasn't, in fact, a no show situation. It was a late show, but not a no show.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you read between the lines, it sounds as if corporate is trying to get this resolved but the property won't budge. Of course, corporate manages this property.

I think it's time the Colorado attorney general's consumer protection division or whatever entity in Colorado enforces consumer protection is involved with this matter. Neither Marriott nor the property seem to appreciate that the entire stay was paid for and this wasn't, in fact, a no show situation. It was a late show, but not a no show.
I'm not sure this is the OP (CLEguy)...I think this was the other person in the thread with a similar situation, so not sure of the "arrived the next day" status.

I wonder if the OP got a similar letter.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I'm not sure this is the OP (CLEguy)...I think this was the other person in the thread with a similar situation, so not sure of the "arrived the next day" status.

I wonder if the OP got a similar letter.
I'm also not the OP
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:07 pm

The good things are they are looking into it and they admitted the confirmation email does not say anything about this potential charge.

The bad things are it has been weeks to get a no response response, they need an executive level to give a $1100 refund, and even now I have not received any part of their terms and conditions that defines a no show. That was specifically asked - where on your website or in your terms does it say showing up at 10AM after calling the hotel to say you would do this is no show. They have two real issues here - we were not a no show and no where does Marriott define a no show in their terms.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Has the OP disputed the charge on his credit card ?

Maybe if he payed by Amex it could help ...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by sean1397
The bad things are it has been weeks to get a no response response, they need an executive level to give a $1100 refund, and even now I have not received any part of their terms and conditions that defines a no show. That was specifically asked - where on your website or in your terms does it say showing up at 10AM after calling the hotel to say you would do this is no show. They have two real issues here - we were not a no show and no where does Marriott define a no show in their terms.
If you showed up before the published checkout time then you were not, by definition, a "no show."
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by CLEguy
I'm also not the OP
Sorry about that! Cletraveler is the OP.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Without going back through hundreds of posts, why didn't the hotel simply take the points for the night?

The charge for the room is outrageous. After a month of diddling around neither the hotel nor Marriott seems to be competent or trustworthy in handling this public relations disaster that the hotel created.

The solution is simple, refund the money, apologize, and stop scamming guests who book rooms with points.
Brendan, YVR_YYC, ksucats and 3 others like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:49 pm

Sean1397. Thank you for the update. Many people are following this from the bleachers so please know that this is a very important thread and don't get discouraged by the ignorance. From the link related to their response, it seems they still don't fully understand that you didn't create an empty room or uncompensated room situation for them. It might be a fun ending when you have lost all hope to just file a small claims action against the hotel and Marriott which would cause them to have to recognize your home as the jurisdiction and cause them to find legal representation in your local court. In Oklahoma you can do that for $35 and if you win you can get attorney fees.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HereAndThere
Without going back through hundreds of posts, why didn't the hotel simply take the points for the night?

The charge for the room is outrageous. After a month of diddling around neither the hotel nor Marriott seems to be competent or trustworthy in handling this public relations disaster that the hotel created.

The solution is simple, refund the money, apologize, and stop scamming guests who book rooms with points.
Somewhere upthread it was noted that the hotel can't get money from Marriott for points stays until the guest checks in. The issue here is the OP called and told them he was stuck at the airport, would be there the next day and to hold his room (and charge him for it with his points) but the desk didn't check him in. So they charged him the no show fee. There's also apparently a differential between cash payment and point reimbursement to the disadvantage of the property (I think... This wasn't that clear to me), leading to the situation where charging the no show fee was actually more profitable than accepting the points reservation.
IIRC, the hotel's mngmt also demonstrated a disdain for this customer by not informing him of the no show charge until he noted it on his bill at check out. Maybe they thought if they told him upfront he would have bailed out on the rest of the 5 day reservation since they'd already no-showed him.
It's a shambles and Marriott corporate is not only useless but apparently likes the idea of properties substituting excessive no show fees for points reservations if they can get away with it.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If you showed up before the published checkout time then you were not, by definition, a "no show."
OP notified the hotel he'd be late prior to checkout time (the day of arrival on the reservation, actually) but didn't physically arrive until after checkout time.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Originally Posted by rickg523
Somewhere upthread it was noted that the hotel can't get money from Marriott for points stays until the guest checks in. The issue here is the OP called and told them he was stuck at the airport, would be there the next day and to hold his room (and charge him for it with his points) but the desk didn't check him in. So they charged him the no show fee. There's also apparently a differential between cash payment and point reimbursement to the disadvantage of the property (I think... This wasn't that clear to me), leading to the situation where charging the no show fee was actually more profitable than accepting the points reservation.
IIRC, the hotel's mngmt also demonstrated a disdain for this customer by not informing him of the no show charge until he noted it on his bill at check out. Maybe they thought if they told him upfront he would have bailed out on the rest of the 5 day reservation since they'd already no-showed him.
It's a shambles and Marriott corporate is not only useless but apparently likes the idea of properties substituting excessive no show fees for points reservations if they can get away with it.
If the hotel isn't reimbursed by Marriott for a room booked on points because of a late check in or even a "no show", that is an issue between Marriott and the hotel. Why should a guest be blamed for some strange nonsensical rule that Marriott created.

And the corporate letter posted above is trying to blame the guest for the hotel's lack of compensation for the room when Marriott could have reimbursed the hotel based on whatever their usual compensation is for rooms booked with points?

Wow, talk about corporate shenanigans. I guess the idea of corporate integrity has truly given way to corporate greed at Marriott.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
OP notified the hotel he'd be late prior to checkout time (the day of arrival on the reservation, actually) but didn't physically arrive until after checkout time.
Just a couple post ago, someone said they arrived at 10 a.m. That's 2 hours before the 12 p.m. checkout time.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 4:39 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
One of the reasons provided in the Marriott response email in post $675 does not make sense. Quote: "The hotel is in a difficult position as regards to the unused night - given the location and the nature of the resort, re-selling a room on short notice is not something they can do."

This is not a situation they are in. The guest is late and has already paid for the room. They don't have to resell the room. They shouldn't even think about reselling the room. Just keep the room vacant until the guest arrive and keep the agreed to points which Marriott already took from the guest account many months ago. What are they trying to do? Double their revenue by taking advantage of their guests' travel delays and interruptions? Then what do they do when the guest finally arrive the next morning if they resell the room?

It has been pointed out many times in this thread - just keep the points. How hard is that?

Last edited by EdofFX; Apr 11, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: clarify further

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.