Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I just came across a hotel loyalty program ranking on US News that put Marriott at #1... I guess they haven’t seen this thread, lol. (FWIW, 3 of the top 5 were budget brands - Wyndham, Choice, and Best Western, plus Hyatt.)

I’ll echo the sentiment that cash penalties for late cancellations of award bookings ruins the program for me, if that is the official policy now.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
did you book a two-day reservation? I tested your issue and only see a penalty for one night if I book a 1-day reservation but in your amount if I book a two-day reservation. The difference between the room rate in that amount are the state taxes.
No, I booked it for 1 night (theoretically you could see that as two days). Just took a random date:
In 19th of Sept, out the 20th.
I used the AAA rate as an example.

So instead of just forfeiting the amount spend, they charge me twice as much for no apparent reason.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, United Platinum Premier, AF/KLM Platinum
did you book a two-day reservation? I tested your issue and only see a penalty for one night if I book a 1-day reservation but in your amount if I book a two-day reservation. The difference between the room rate in that amount are the state taxes.
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Ok, maybe I misunderstood, I thought the AAA rate was for reference. So if the penalty is for 2 nights + tx at the same rate, I think it's ok (definitely not customer friendly when generally the penalty is one night but it's fine as long as it's clearly stated)
The AAA rate is indeed for reference. I only booked 1 night, not 2, but still they try to force the price for 2+ nights on me if I don't show up or cancel after the 17th. Not really convenient if my flight gets delayed, plans change due to a congress or show or client meetings taking longer than expected.

Forfeiting the money paid is already tough, but even daring to charge MORE than the agreed upon room rate is outright criminal.
justforfun and strickerj like this.
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect the hotel to use their regular public (sometimes called best available) rate for the penalty on an award booking, not any discounted rate such as AAA even if the person would be entitled to use it. Of course, the hotel might try to charge the rack rate in such cases, unfortunately. OTOH, if your reservation used a special rate, that rate is what would be charged.

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Thysk
No, I booked it for 1 night (theoretically you could see that as two days). Just took a random date:
In 19th of Sept, out the 20th.
I used the AAA rate as an example.

So instead of just forfeiting the amount spend, they charge me twice as much for no apparent reason.
This is so ridiculous. You should be charged what your outlay was, period. Whether it was cash or points. Why should they get MORE if you are not there than if you were there?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The AAA rate is indeed for reference. I only booked 1 night, not 2, but still they try to force the price for 2+ nights on me if I don't show up or cancel after the 17th. Not really convenient if my flight gets delayed, plans change due to a congress or show or client meetings taking longer than expected.

Forfeiting the money paid is already tough, but even daring to charge MORE than the agreed upon room rate is outright criminal.

So I tried the same thing for the same property with booking one night in September 2019, It said that failure to cancel would result in a $1XX payment, just one night plus tax. I didn't charge for two nights.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
So apparently they want only prepaid rates, if the penalty for a no-show exceeds the price for the room.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:22 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sethb
So apparently they want only prepaid rates, if the penalty for a no-show exceeds the price for the room.
Well, maybe now they will charge a penalty if you don't show on a prepaid rate (which of course you cannot cancel once booked )
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:21 pm

So I tried the same thing for the same property with booking one night in September 2019, It said that failure to cancel would result in a $1XX payment, just one night plus tax. I didn't charge for two nights.
Neither did I, I just selected 1 night. I have no clue where anyone would extrapolate 2 nights from my posts...
Tried to make some screenshots just now, but it appears that the Marriott Lurkers have informed IT and they've fixed it. Price of no-show/cancellation is now 102.41$. Seems about right (although being taxed on a service not delivered still sounds odd to me).

Fun fact: I just tried 2, 3, 4 and 5 nights (all starting at the 19th of Sept) and the no-show/cancellation fee stays at 102.42$. Pretty strange.
Oh, bare in mind that these are ALL "flex/standard" rates (ie. Cancel for free max 2 days before arrival, otherwise pay). If you book a prepaid package, you'll be charged for the ENTIRE amount (4 nights would be 415.80$)

You're welcome Marriott. Send me a PM to help improve your IT .
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:25 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
...it appears that the Marriott Lurkers have informed IT and they've fixed it...
Negatory.
wrp96 and levilevi like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Well, maybe now they will charge a penalty if you don't show on a prepaid rate (which of course you cannot cancel once booked )

You laugh but this is the moral/contractual equivalence here so why not? Sounds like a great new revenue stream if you ask some of the trolls on this thread...
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
Negatory.
Is “negatory” the first and only official comment by Marriott to this thread?

Old Apr 10, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by 747FC

Negatory.
AbyssalLoris, wrp96 and EdofFX like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 747FC

My vocabulary is now one word richer!
cruisr, 747FC and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 8:31 am

Here is where we are at this point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.