Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Description of resolution can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31088204-post759.html
Print Wikipost

Outrageous No-Show Fee Incurred At St. Regis Aspen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Gadot
CLE and Just
By definition he was a no show. And Marriott sent him notice that the contract had changed - he could have cancelled then if he disagreed. My last post as most of you all wear blinders and see it just from one side. I try to say I think the hotel was wrong (but not incorrect) and you still argue. And it was SPG and the Regis Aspen, not Marriott you should be mad at - but you all are upset at loosing SPG that you are mad at Marriott. If there was a flood tomorrow, you would probably blame Marriott..
Incorrect. He was NOT a no-show.

"What is the meaning / definition of No-Show in the hospitality industry?

If a guest fails to arrive on a certain date to fulfil a booking (as all so often happens!) and does not cancel; that does not necessarily mean the hotel will lose money. No. Hotels can cover themselves for this eventuality by integrating into their pricing structure something called a No-Show fee. That's right, in the Hospitality Industry, a person who does not arrive where and when they should at a hotel or motel, and makes NO explanatory contact, is called a No-Show."

https://www.xotels.com/en/glossary/no-show

Bolding for emphasis.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by moondog
@Gadot

As you know, most of us disagree with your idea that SPG contracts can be converted into Marriott contracts without customer consent. We (customers) had no role, whatsoever, in the merger.

That having been said, I really appreciate your input here, and will alert mods if anyone attempts to hound you or your property.
What makes you think anybody wants to hound the property? I want to know which one it is so that I can avoid it like the plague.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by moondog
@Gadot

As you know, most of us disagree with your idea that SPG contracts can be converted into Marriott contracts without customer consent. We (customers) had no role, whatsoever, in the merger.

That having been said, I really appreciate your input here, and will alert mods if anyone attempts to hound you or your property.

That’s so not true. You(or we, customers) are the merchandise sold by Starwood.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
IANAL and no expert in contracts, but is it not generally understood that when an company is purchased, the purchaser assumes both the assets and liabilities? So, in a hotel purchase, one gets the reservation nights already on the books. One also inherits the commitments made by the previous owner.
That’s not correct, either.

companies sell subsidiaries to break union contract. Old liabilities not entirely inherited by the purchasers. It all depends on the merger contract.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm curious how, even if Marriot sent some message that there is a new contract, the OP was notified what the terms of that new contract are. How is the OP supposed to find the new contract/T&Cs if not explicitly provided by Marriott? Going to look at the hotel booking terms doesn't necessarily reflect what those new Marriott terms are... especially since hotel cancellation terms can vary widely depending on location, date, and rate.

Anyway, the bottom line is that both the hotel and Marriott are treating this in an extremely customer-hostile manner.
wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 4:05 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Originally Posted by CLEguy
What makes you think anybody wants to hound the property? I want to know which one it is so that I can avoid it like the plague.
Your curiosity, and that of others, doesn't make this a valid part of the discussion. Please note FlyerTalk Rule #21 - Privacy

You are also all aware that getting personal with other members is forbidden per FlyerTalk Rules.

Feel free to continue to discuss the topic at hand without getting personal with others.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MB Forum
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by rylan
I'm curious how, even if Marriot sent some message that there is a new contract, the OP was notified what the terms of that new contract are. How is the OP supposed to find the new contract/T&Cs if not explicitly provided by Marriott? Going to look at the hotel booking terms doesn't necessarily reflect what those new Marriott terms are... especially since hotel cancellation terms can vary widely depending on location, date, and rate.

Anyway, the bottom line is that both the hotel and Marriott are treating this in an extremely customer-hostile manner.

it it is too far to say customer-hostile. More like customer-unfriendly. They are not activaely hunting for the fees.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:54 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by freed0m

it it is too far to say customer-hostile. More like customer-unfriendly. They are not activaely hunting for the fees.
A distinction without a difference?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 5:59 am

At a completely different hotel I found that the conditions for an award stay stated that there would be a "fee" for cancelling after a certain date BUT NO STATEMENT AT ALL ABOUT WHAT THE FEE WOULD BE!!!!!
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:44 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by estnet
At a completely different hotel I found that the conditions for an award stay stated that there would be a "fee" for cancelling after a certain date BUT NO STATEMENT AT ALL ABOUT WHAT THE FEE WOULD BE!!!!!
Can you tell us which brand it is, even without naming the property? I would be interested to know if there are other hotel chains out there with this kind of cancellation/no show policy for award bookings.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 6:54 am

A distinction without a difference?
A customer-hostile property will just cancel the whole reservation and charge no-show fee without asking anything.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
Can you tell us which brand it is, even without naming the property? I would be interested to know if there are other hotel chains out there with this kind of cancellation/no show policy for award bookings.
Renaissance Johor Bahru - which by the was is listed as being in Singapore - not only not Singapore but a different country! (and at least 1 review I read hadn't realized this when they booked)
Here are the terms

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until June 8, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
This is for a 5 night award stay - plus they suggested I use a 1 night e cert in my account - which btw would save me nothing (plus it's good for 40k and this hotel is 12.5k) b/c on a fifth night award the 5th night is free!
I think this has more to do with IT than the specific hotel, but no way would i agree to "a fee"
Just another reason to be sure you look at the details of a rate wherever you book.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Renaissance Johor Bahru - which by the was is listed as being in Singapore - not only not Singapore but a different country! (and at least 1 review I read hadn't realized this when they booked)
Here are the terms

Cancelling Your Reservation

• You may cancel your reservation for no charge until June 8, 2019 (1 day[s] before arrival).
  • Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card.
This is for a 5 night award stay - plus they suggested I use a 1 night e cert in my account - which btw would save me nothing (plus it's good for 40k and this hotel is 12.5k) b/c on a fifth night award the 5th night is free!
I think this has more to do with IT than the specific hotel, but no way would i agree to "a fee"
Just another reason to be sure you look at the details of a rate wherever you book.
Thanks. At least you can cancel up to 1 day before, not 60 days out. On the other hand, it won't help if there is an airline delay or cancellation. Agreed that they need to make the fee amount transparent. Otherwise, how can anyone agree to an unknown amount.

So this is still just a Marriott problem.
AbyssalLoris likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Gadot
SPG is no longer. It is now Marriott. The rules are now Marriott's - whether you like it or not. There is lots of case law recognizing this. For example, as a colonel I had life time membership to the Crown room - but not the sky room. This was challenged by a lawyer in Atlanta and the court agreed with Delta that there is more Crown room thus we loose.
How much did you pay for that Crown Room membership? When Delta bought NW, people with lifetime memberships in WorldClubs were granted similar memberships in Sky Club. (And the terms of entry were grandfathered for those people as well.)
Old Apr 7, 2019, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the night audit sweeps you, you could end up homeless when you do arrive if the hotel is sold out. Of course you don't want to be charged, but you also want a room and bed when you do arrive.
If that happened to me, I'd be discussing the hotel's policy for walking guests with them. If I didn't get satisfaction, Amex would find me a room and bill that hotel. (That has happened to a number of people I know.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.