Wiki Posts
Search

Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 360guy
It would be nice to have a "Sticky Thread" for properties joining or leaving Marriott. Like there is for Hilton.
Don’t agree. This thread had no posts from Aug 4 to Dec 9. Stickies clutter up a forum IMO, and should be reserved for threads that you might want to access frequently, like the lounge thread. Mods will decide, but I vote no.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:44 pm

Westin Prince Toronto leaving 12/17/19
becoming Pan Pacific Toronto
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:44 pm

Sheraton Shenzhen Dameisha leaving 1/1/20
becoming InterContinental Shenzhen Dameisha
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:47 pm

Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach leaving 12/16/19
becoming Four Palms Miami Beach
Old Dec 11, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Don’t agree. This thread had no posts from Aug 4 to Dec 9. Stickies clutter up a forum IMO, and should be reserved for threads that you might want to access frequently, like the lounge thread. Mods will decide, but I vote no.
I think the thread will get a significantly higher number of posts if it's a sticky though.

I see news about properties leaving all the time, and never know where to post the info. I just posted a couple of examples from this week.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by James Luckard
I think the thread will get a significantly higher number of posts if it's a sticky though.

I see news about properties leaving all the time, and never know where to post the info. I just posted a couple of examples from this week.
But is it an important thread that we need easy access to? Already 25% of the first forum page is stickies. I’d rather have the breakfast thread as a sticky. That’s a lot more useful.

As far as posting the info, just add it to this thread. It doesn’t need to be a sticky. I rarely look at this thread. If it’s a property I care about, it will likely have its own thread (I don’t stay in limited service properties), and the information will be posted there.

Anyhow that’s my 2 cents. Keep the thread going, but it doesn’t need to be a sticky.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 12:57 am

Until a mod updates the individual property threads to say "LEAVING:" in the title, however, there's really no way people can know if news like that is included in posts in those threads, where it can get lost among other discussion of everyday things at the properties.

Since news that a property is deflagging or closing can have a huge impact on travel plans, it might be good to have one thread for properties coming and going, some of the other chain forums have them, like Hilton.
JordanWalker likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Until a mod updates the individual property threads to say "LEAVING:" in the title, however, there's really no way people can know if news like that is included in posts in those threads, where it can get lost among other discussion of everyday things at the properties.

Since news that a property is deflagging or closing can have a huge impact on travel plans, it might be good to have one thread for properties coming and going, some of the other chain forums have them, like Hilton.
If someone is planning to stay at a property, they are more likely to look at that property thread (even if it doesn’t say LEAVING) than they are to check a catch all thread on properties that are deflagging. I’m at over 1000 stays and I’ve had it happen once where a property reflagged between the time I booked and my stay (Sheraton Moorea became Hilton Moorea). It just doesn’t happen that often. However, if you were planning on staying somewhere, and someone posts in that thread, wouldn’t you look to see what they posted?

Anyhow, feel free to lobby for your sticky. I don’t agree.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 1:36 am

I check out the sticky in the Hilton forum all the time, and always wished there were one for Starwood (now Marriott).

But obviously it's left to people above my pay grade to decide if that's wise. No worries either way, just seems like it could be helpful.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:46 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Four Points by Sheraton Miami Beach leaving 12/16/19
becoming Four Palms Miami Beach
Many will cry the fact that this one is leaving. It had the reputation for the worst SPG property for many many years.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
We already have a master thread about new hotels and divestitures. No need to have two of them.

Master thread for new hotels and divestitures
James Luckard and Star_Guy like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: SE100K, Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive
Delta Royal Canadian Lodge Banff, left Bonvoy to be an independent hotel Nov30th, 2019
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
Sorry but Marriott is the reason we lost Parker NYC and Palm Springs. These were two great properties. Thanks Marriott! Ughh

Here is proof, directly from the hotel owners—> "Le Meridien was a wonderful partner, but now that it is part of a much larger organization, it no longer aligns with who we are and we want to be."

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...comment-233502
Interesting ... these are the hotels that were allegedly (not sure how the case ended up) ripping off SPG by falsifying their occupancy to get higher payments for SPG on award stays. I wouldn’t doubt that the lawsuit may have something to do with it whether they say or not.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by MME2YYZ
Delta Royal Canadian Lodge Banff, left Bonvoy to be an independent hotel Nov30th, 2019
I once tried to book this hotel on points in the summer only to discover that only a very small percentage of the rooms could be booked on points, and that the hotel frequently had them booked with tour groups before they hit the Marriott inventory (a year in advance). I talked to the staff who was friendly enough to help me find a couple days (that didn’t work for me) but this situation made the hotel difficult to use in the program.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Sheraton Shenzhen Dameisha leaving 1/1/20
becoming InterContinental Shenzhen Dameisha
My goodness, this is one place my family and our extended relatives in Shenzhen will go for a vacation every year. Especially their dedicated beach front that separates from the crazy crowd. They've always treated us well with upgrades and extras. Will be sorely missed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.