Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2019, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by bergamini
Does anyone have experience with stays at departing properties in terms of how they honor elite (in my case PP) benefits? I have a stay at the Westin Sydney booked for 7-Apr to 14-Apr. Don't really care about getting a suite but would like a room with a good view. Do they ever sort of start cheaping out on the lounge offerings or anything like that too?
The Westin Sydney doesn't leave Marriott until October.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by James Luckard
The Westin Sydney doesn't leave Marriott until October.
Right. I'm just worried they may be lackadaisical about benefits.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
So the Parker Meridien NYC just popped up as a Hyatt. There's a thread in the Hyatt forum.
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
So the Parker Meridien NYC just popped up as a Hyatt. There's a thread in the Hyatt forum.
Will the Palm Springs property be far behind?
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Will the Palm Springs property be far behind?
awesome!!!!!
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Last edited by Star_Guy; Jan 23, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old Jan 23, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Is the W hotel in Beijing, China going independent or joining another chain ?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd be very very happy if the whole list went over to Hyatt, but my special request would be Des Indes in Den Hague. I'd like to see Furstenhof too,and I'd even put up with Pulitzer in exchange for these favors. Madrid, Sydney, Paris, Prague, Vegas, mainland China and Russia, why not? The more (good) Hyatts the better.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Oh yes it did. What was unwritten, but squarely part of the Parker team decision was an association with the specific name Marriott and the tackiness that comes with it. I know this is mean to say, but they didn't want Pepsi-cooler toting Courtyard people showing up in their lobby. Of course you can argue that the Parker properties would have been perfect under the Autograph brand umbrella, but I do (having interacted with them over the years) think the owners didn't want association with the Marriott name. They really did have a unique deal with Le Meridien that seemed to be working after they got past the scandal.
good luck to them then. I assume they have enough loyalists to make a go of it.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by damon88
Of course hotels come and go all the time.

This happened at Starwood before Marriott

Hotel Pulitzer
Westin Diplomat
Le Meridien Brussels
St Regis Monarch Bay
St Regis Venice
Parker Palm Springs (the trouble with Starwood started in 2013)
W San Diego
Le Meridien Eden Rome
Lanai Manele Bay Hotel
Lodge at Koele
Palace Hotel Copenhagen
Westin Trianon Place Versailles
Westin Rio Mar Puerto Rico
Etc.

I think we had stayed at 6 of those and were sad to see them go, but it's pretty par for the course in the hotel business
I’ve only done St Regis Monarch Beach and Westin Diplomat on that list. Really sorry to lose the Diplomat. Amazing Plat recognition.

Also loved Le Meridien Budapest which is now gone. And the Convento do Espinheiro in Portugal was such a unique place. Glad I got to stay there.
remymartin likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:04 pm

I've done the Trianon Palace, Versailles, and I always wanted to try the Diplomat since it had such fans here.

In fact, the Trianon Palace upgraded me to a corner two bedroom two level suite with views of where Marie Antoinette played peasant. At the time, it was the suite shown on their brochure, so I feel confident that this was the equivalent of the Presidential Suite. The bad news was that for some reason (variance in dates for annual August closing IIRC) I wasn't able to have dinner in their renowned restaurant.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
Guess Hyatt is ok with being defrauded?
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:50 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I’ve only done St Regis Monarch Beach and Westin Diplomat on that list. Really sorry to lose the Diplomat. Amazing Plat recognition.

Also loved Le Meridien Budapest which is now gone. And the Convento do Espinheiro in Portugal was such a unique place. Glad I got to stay there.
There were some awesome properties on that list. The St Regis Monarch Beach was our favorite staycation spot. The Ritz in Dana Point does not replace it for many reasons.
The St Regis had excellent Platinum recognition and almost always upgraded us. We had one of our most unique hotel experiences there- especially cool because it was in our own backyard. We woke up late one morning and stepped out on our ocean view balcony-- the expansive lawns were dotted with gorgeous multicolored saris and a groom was riding across the lawn on an elephant. It was beautiful and surreal to see in Monarch Beach. We also really loved the Pulitzer and were extremely sad to see it go. On our last visit we split our time between the Waldorf Astoria and the Andaz (we wanted to stay in the Jordaan) and both properties were really good but we were still nostalgic for the Pulitzer. We only visited the Parker once but loved it. We were planning to visit again. We never actually stayed at the Lanai properties but on two different day trips to Lanai spent time visiting both for drinks. (the lodge was so different and awesome for Hawaii, surrounded by pine trees with a totally unbeach vibe) We were planning a trip to Lanai when the rebrand happened. Only 1 we didn't mourn- the W San Diego, here in our hometown. It was probably our least favorite W we ever stayed at. The location was on the border of a seedy area, and the rooms were uninspired. This would be a great town for a good W. Maybe they will try again.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel

Another high* end hotel have changed flags the Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel is now a Radisson

Last edited by Star_Guy; Jan 25, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I really miss the Diplomat being SPG. I stayed there 5 nights on an award from 12/25 to 12/30 just a few weeks ago. I had Hilton Diamond status because of staying in a Homewood Suites for ~ 2 months because my new home took longer to build than my old home sold. Anyway, the "free" breakfast was really only a credit that didn't even cover half the buffet cost. And they wouldn't let you order off the menu for the breakfast for my stay. I'm not a big eater in the morning so was worthless. No room upgrade either, first room had no balcony and could be looked into from the elevator lobby. Aggressive housekeeping staff. When it was a Westin they really decorated it so beautifully for the holidays and this year they barely had a few trees up. There were a lot of other minor quibbles but basically it just felt like a really nice hotel, not the beautiful resort it once was. And part of that was the closure of the golf hotel because it had an attached tennis club with some really good pros and a shuttle.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
Another night end hotel have changed flags the Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel is now a Radisson
Which suggests that Marriott wanted them to make renovations and they decided to go to Radisson rather than make the renovations.

Right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.