Wiki Posts
Search

Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

More and more former high end SPG properties are leaving the Marriott flag since the merger. :-( miss the #SPGlifeSt. Regis Dubai

W Dubai Habtoor City

Westin Dubai Al Habtoor City

Parker Palm Springs

Le Parker Meridien New York

Hotel Des Indes

St. Regis Princeville

The Principal Madrid

Westin Sydney

The Westin-Vendome Paris

Prague Sheraton

W Las Vegas & SLS Las Vegas

W St. Petersburg

St. Regis Dubai Polo Club

Hotel Fürstenhof

W Beijing Chang’an

Sheraton Gran Canaria

Convento do Espinheiro

Sheraton Prague Charles Square Hotel

Hôtel Americano(Design Hotel)

Hotel Talisa Vail(Luxury Collection)

Hotel Klaus K (Design Hotel)

Westin Bellevue Dresden

Westin Prince Toronto

Sheraton Shenzhen Dameisha
The Met Hotel (Design Hotel)

W Hotel - NYC Downtown

Sheraton Grand Los Cabos Hacienda Del Mar

The Westin Awaji Island Resort & Conference Center

Last edited by Star_Guy; Oct 30, 2020 at 7:28 am Reason: adding another hotel
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I don’t think you can blame Marriott for this. Some of these hotels would have left spg irregardless of Marriott. You can always jump ship to Hyatt or Hilton if they are better for you
C17PSGR and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Did you pick this up from TPG post? If so, maybe you should give them some credit! (even thought they are not my favorite)

https://thepointsguy.com/guides/luxu...-since-merger/

Some of those hotel left for reasons likely not associated with the merger. W and SLS LV had issues for a while with SPG as did the Parker NYC.
C17PSGR, Kacee, Star_Guy and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by christianj
Did you pick this up from TPG post? If so, maybe you should give them some credit! (even thought they are not my favorite)

https://thepointsguy.com/guides/luxu...-since-merger/

Some of those hotel left for reasons likely not associated with the merger. W and SLS LV had issues for a while with SPG as did the Parker NYC.

I read that lol, but I wrote some of this on MRI page..
https://insiders.marriottrewards.com/thread/56487 the points guy even used my link for the principal Madrid
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I'm no fan of the new Marriott, but based on the publicly available information, most of those properties left for reasons unrelated to the merger, including several where the property owners would not commit to upgrades to maintain brand standards.
KRSW and wrp96 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Does anyone have experience with stays at departing properties in terms of how they honor elite (in my case PP) benefits? I have a stay at the Westin Sydney booked for 7-Apr to 14-Apr. Don't really care about getting a suite but would like a room with a good view. Do they ever sort of start cheaping out on the lounge offerings or anything like that too?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Sorry but Marriott is the reason we lost Parker NYC and Palm Springs. These were two great properties. Thanks Marriott! Ughh

Here is proof, directly from the hotel owners—> "Le Meridien was a wonderful partner, but now that it is part of a much larger organization, it no longer aligns with who we are and we want to be."

https://insiders.marriottrewards.com...comment-233502
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Star_Guy

More and more former SPG hotels leaving the Marriott flag since the merger. :-( miss the #SPGlife

St. Regis Dubai

W Dubai Habtoor City

Westin Dubai Al Habtoor City

Parker Palm Springs

Le Parker Meridien New York

Hotel Des Indes

St. Regis Princeville

The Principal Madrid

Westin Sydney

The Westin-Vendome Paris

Prague Sheraton

W Las Vegas & SLS Las Vegas

W St. Petersburg

St. Regis Dubai Polo Club

Hotel Fürstenhof

W Beijing Chang’an

The intention of the OP seems to be to create the impression that there's a net decrease in the number of high-profile Starwood-legacy properties since the merger -- and to attribute the defections to Marriott's loyalty program merger. But there's actually a net increase, and it's likely that most of these defections would have happened even if Starwood had remained an independent company.

Marriott acquired Starwood in September 2016 and merged the loyalty programs in August 2018. Marriott has been boasting 6,700+ hotels -- a number that continues to grow. The number of hotels under Starwood-legacy brands continues to grow as part of that.

Yes, at a hotel a company the size of Marriott, where will always be some reflagging, including some high-profile properties. Some reflagging can happen when a hotel is sold and the new owner wants to convert it. Other reflagging can happen when a franchise contract reaches the end of its term and the hotel owners projects there's more money to be made without a brand affiliation or with a different brand. And, of course, there are cases when a hotel owner loses a franchise because of the failure to comply with brand standards.

Marriott has also been adding high-profile locations. The following Forbes article from December 2017 discusses new hotels under luxury brands, , including many Starwood-Legacy ones. The article does not include Westin, Le Méridien, and Tribute Portfolio. Also, the article does not include hotels announced in 2018. (And it's likely that some of the details in the article are now obsolete.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggol.../#22164fcd6995

If you dig around at Marriott's Development website at https://hotel-development.marriott.com, you'll find impressive pipeline counts across Marriott's portfolio of brands.
C17PSGR, bhrubin and Vince Chan like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm no fan of the new Marriott, but based on the publicly available information, most of those properties left for reasons unrelated to the merger, including several where the property owners would not commit to upgrades to maintain brand standards.
Exactly, I haven't tracked which hotels joined/left SPG over the years before the merger but reflagging is routine and hotels do it for a variety of reasons.

In some cases, Marriott pushes hotels to get up to standards and some choose to leave. Others seek to use their relationship with Marriott to cut a deal with Hilton (Dubai properties).

Far more properties are joining than leaving.
Horace likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not just a matter of the total number of properties in the program, but rather how many hotels there are in which I want to stay. I hate the idea of some bunch of Fairfields or Courtyards replacing Des Indes or Furstenhof or a StR. For me, this is the issue. Most of Starriotts 6700 hotels are ones where I hope I never have to stay.
KRSW, remymartin and supatight80 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
And no hotel program can even come close to having the scale and number of proepeties that Marriott has. Is everything rainbows and unicorns, no, but it’s not bad either
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Star_Guy
Sorry but Marriott is the reason we lost Parker NYC and Palm Springs.
lol, you mean the properties that got caught flat-out defrauding SPG on their award reimbursement rates? I'm sure that had nothing to do with their departure
dgreen12, CPRich, beachfan and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
lol, you mean the properties that got caught flat-out defrauding SPG on their award reimbursement rates? I'm sure that had nothing to do with their departure
Exactly and I'm sure SPG and then MR had it with the NYC property not renovating. Still no renovation even years after leaving SPG/MR.
dgreen12, C17PSGR and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Do you have a link/details on this? Am curious.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not just a matter of the total number of properties in the program, but rather how many hotels there are in which I want to stay. I hate the idea of some bunch of Fairfields or Courtyards replacing Des Indes or Furstenhof or a StR. For me, this is the issue. Most of Starriotts 6700 hotels are ones where I hope I never have to stay.
Yeah, because the first thing Marriott thinks is oh, let's replace a St. Regis w/ a FFI/CY
Eastbay1K, Muerz, CMK10 and 3 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.