Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former SPG Hotels Leaving Marriott

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I remember calculating this at the time of the merger and I think ~70% of legacy Marriott, Inc. properties were limited service.
I believe that's relatively accurate. Not sure what the percentage of Four Points, Aloft, etc. was in the Starwood era although Starwood's primary development focus before the merger was on the limited service segment.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:41 am
Suspended

I remember calculating this at the time of the merger and I think ~70% of legacy Marriott, Inc. properties were limited service.

(Of course, the public data about the W brand is also to the contrary of some FTers beliefs...)
That might be true, but as I pointed in the previous response, I think the percentage of limited service of the whole Marriott group should be calculated by continental.

Different image in different area. Most of those limited properties are located within america.You can calculate the fullservice brands percentage outside of US.

For someone like OP who might seldom stayed at full service Marriott or only perceiving Marriott as its development in the US can not genuinely reflects its hotel development and image international.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Aug 2, 2019 at 12:46 am
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

(Of course, the public data about the W brand is also to the contrary of some FTers beliefs...)
It is a higher percentage at Hilton, and an even higher percentage for hotels generally. "Full service" hotels are a small minority in the US. At the end of the day, if Starwood were better in getting limited service hotels built, they would still be independent
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 1:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adelphos
It is a higher percentage at Hilton, and an even higher percentage for hotels generally. "Full service" hotels are a small minority in the US. At the end of the day, if Starwood were better in getting limited service hotels built, they would still be independent
This is exactly correct. If Starwood having no problem with developing and managing its mid(sheraton) -lower tier brands, it would still be independent. And again this clarify OP’s statement that more than 95 percents of Marriott hotel are limited brands, are no way near the reality number.

For hilton, from fact sheet, 2300 hampton hotels which also occupying 40 percents of current hilton profolio.

Last edited by Vince Chan; Aug 3, 2019 at 1:48 am
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:56 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not just a matter of the total number of properties in the program, but rather how many hotels there are in which I want to stay. I hate the idea of some bunch of Fairfields or Courtyards replacing Des Indes or Furstenhof or a StR. For me, this is the issue. Most of Starriotts 6700 hotels are ones where I hope I never have to stay.
That is my issue, I rarely book on the Marriott site except personal travel and it is a mess with all the brands and hotels. Trying to use the sort filters is hit and miss so now I need to scroll though a lot of low to mid tier hotels, which is not were I Am going on vacation. Work is not that bad since I have a hotel in each city I typically stay at and those are favorites with my companies travel site.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not just a matter of the total number of properties in the program, but rather how many hotels there are in which I want to stay. I hate the idea of some bunch of Fairfields or Courtyards replacing Des Indes or Furstenhof or a StR. For me, this is the issue. Most of Starriotts 6700 hotels are ones where I hope I never have to stay.
I'm just seeing this post, but it really isn't about "replacing," but adding. I am visiting some friends in the Hudson Valley in a few weeks, a beautiful area of the country with high room rates during the summer and fall. Hampton, Hilton Garden Inn, Courtyard, Residence Inn, Holiday Inn, etc are all available, but no Marriott, Hilton, Westin, Sheraton, St Regis, Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Waldorf Astoria, etc. Tellingly, no Four Points or Aloft are available either. A week earlier I am at a business trip at a JW Marriott. A few weeks later I am hoping to stay at the W, Hotel Arts or Edition in Barcelona. Having these options all available are clearly additive. The total number of hotels matters greatly IMO. Hyatt does well where it operates but there are tons of stays where they simply don't work, particularly domestically. They are working to change that, though.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Klaus K Exits Design Hotels/Marriott Bonvoy

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31797251-post22.html
Old Dec 9, 2019, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I have to say the only *good* thing about the merger, and a significant reason why I will still spend some amount of nights with Marriott, is their extensive portfolio. Every city has good properties and bad properties regardless of their level of brand, so Marriott is helpful in this regard. In the same city the JW Marriott can be horrible, and the Westin is amazing or vice-versa. The St. Regis can be subpar, but the Ritz is amazing or vice-versa. Thus I have options. With Hyatt and Hilton, I've noticed because of their limited selections within a city, once a property is bad, you really don't have much other choices (within the same level of standard). If a Conrad or Park Hyatt is bad, there really isn't an equivalent within the same city that you can go instead. Same as you triggle down the level of standards. So in this regard, Marriott is a plus.
Twickenham and Antarius like this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Westin Bellevue Dresden is also leaving...
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Sticky Thread

It would be nice to have a "Sticky Thread" for properties joining or leaving Marriott. Like there is for Hilton.
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 360guy
It would be nice to have a "Sticky Thread" for properties joining or leaving Marriott. Like there is for Hilton.
You can create a thread and request the mods make it sticky (by alerting them)

I think this is a good idea.
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another one that was reported elsewhere - The Sheraton Fishermans Wharf (SF) is leaving
JWWB likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
Another one that was reported elsewhere - The Sheraton Fishermans Wharf (SF) is leaving
Looks like they just completed a redesign. Any news on where they’re going?
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dn10
Looks like they just completed a redesign. Any news on where they’re going?
Heres a thread about it

[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (rebranded to RIU) [Master Thread]
Star_Guy likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Originally Posted by Antarius
You can create a thread and request the mods make it sticky (by alerting them)

I think this is a good idea.
I agree!

Folks, feel free to update the hotel list on this tread anytime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.