Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:24 pm

Programs: Table scraps from Aeroplan and AmEx Plat
OP, if you've spent virtually every night over the past few years at a hotel, I can understand why you would need certain things to be just so. I also agree that a one-sided story can be unfair. But then so is your account.

You've made it clear that you don't hesitate to confront people. I appreciate that and, and not to get all Petersonian here, the world does need people high on the trait disagreeableness, in certain circumstances anyway. I do worry that you don't fully appreciate how that comes across sometimes. Certainly hotel staff have other and better things to do than leave negative comments about guests. So what was it that compelled them to take the time and do those write-ups? Is it because they are mean, petty and vindictive? It's possible, and that seems to be your perspective (which, respectfully, smacks of projection a wee bit), but doubtful. I tend to think it's your "east coast" personality, whatever the hell that means. I think it's unfair to the many wonderful Mainers I know, as is the implication that that it's those snowflakes' fault for not being able to handle it. More than anything, it's just a poor excuse for being unnecessarily abrasive.

I doubt that the choking incident and the food spillage in and of themselves had much to do with the "concierge woman" (by the way that has a terrible ring to it, and this is coming from someone who's been accused of sexism on these very pages) posting a comment. I guarantee it was what you did and said in the aftermath, the bit you described as "call[ing] her out on it".

By the way, asking a hotel to get their engineer to monkey around with the motion detection system in order to disable it is something not the norm, and not only "in her mind".
jaejaez and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:51 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Do the Marriotts in China share the 'feedback' with the government for integration into the social credit score?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingHoustonian
Do the Marriotts in China share the 'feedback' with the government for integration into the social credit score?
I highly doubt it but then again I've always enjoyed the additional tail every time I'm in Beijing.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
...I doubt that the choking incident and the food spillage in and of themselves had much to do with the "concierge woman" (by the way that has a terrible ring to it, and this is coming from someone who's been accused of sexism on these very pages) posting a comment. I guarantee it was what you did and said in the aftermath, the bit you described as "call[ing] her out on it"...
Originally Posted by mikebor
...And for that GM to use that crap system to ban me from staying because of that? That woman should have spent her time trying to find out how to disable a motion sensor that shuts the air off in the room and gets the room too hot rather than focus on the comments from that stupid internal system.
I agree with bambinomartino that "concierge woman" came off wrong, and calling a GM "that woman" is even worse. It sounds contemptuous.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 12:10 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Moderator Note

Folks,
I have deleted several posts where members are getting personal with one another which violates FlerTalk Rule 12. I’ve also deleted several posts which quoted those posts or continued the discussion from those posts. Please remember to discuss the topic at hand without personally attacking or discussing the character of your fellow members.

Thanks,
yosithezet
Co-Moderator, MSR Forum
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bhrubin
The RC Dallas has horrible WiFi of 0.5-1.5 Mbps, so I didn’t think twice about asking for a rate reduction. That is unworthy of any luxury hotel—and they should know that. Together with the poor air con there, I thought $125 off per night wasn’t asking that much at all.
curious to know what the outcome was in this situation....
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Which is worth noting. Despite the fact that some might describe BHR as very high maintenance, he hasn't been uninvited and continues to be treated as he expects.

As we think about the quadrant with level of maintenance on one part and level of return on another part, seems like some customers might be considered high maintenance/high return.

Frankly, I doubt the typical hotel even looks at this info unless there is an issue. Considering they don't always recognize status or pre-upgrade guests, it seems unlikely they are paying any attention to this in most cases.
i agree....at the end of the day a hotel will be much more willing to put up with tantrums from someone spending $1,000 a night as opposed to someone spending $100 a night....

i regularly brief a senior counsel who happens to be one of the best & most expensive lawyers in the country....my clients engage him as the arguing counsel in a number of high stake matters & over the years my team & i have made dozens of trips with him within & outside the country....

as good a lawyer as he is, he is an equally horrible person to deal with....very high maintenance, rude, assertive & he steals things from hotel rooms....i've never stayed at a spg/marriott hotel with him because he always likes to stay at the best hotel in the city he travels to & that always turns out to be a non spg/marriott hotel....we always have to book the presidential suite for him, he runs up an insane amount in room service & laundry bills, he empties out the mini bar everyday & has the best hotel car reserved for him all day....the hotels put up with his various tantrums because he brings them a lot of revenue....its as simple as that....
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eyeball1
interesting thread. Most electronic medical record systems (EMR) also have fields for staff to put notes about problem patient behaviour. If someone yells at the physician's receptionist, for instance it will usually be documented these days.
There was an episode about this on Seinfeld or Friends. I don't remember which one.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Rule #1 - The customer is not always right

Rule # 2 - Sometimes you need to fire the customer
dayone likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:14 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by bambinomartino
By the way, asking a hotel to get their engineer to monkey around with the motion detection system in order to disable it is something not the norm, and not only "in her mind".
Sorry, but these nonsense systems are a pure money grab at the expense of guest comfort - plain and simple. Especially in certain climates, they wind up baking guests in their own beds and flat out ruin any hopes of a decent night's sleep for some of us. I recently had a long-term contract in Miami, and these contraptions were installed at some point during my tenure there. It very quickly became a standing requirement that this be disabled in every room I checked into at my normal property. And I'm otherwise normally a church mouse of a guest on nearly all fronts.
mikebor, Kacee, rny321 and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by mikebor
I hate to tell you but probably yeah. With most likely whoever inputted comments about you exaggerating to the point that they will all think you are nasty and mean and the hotel bent over backwards trying to help you. Which makes this whole dumb CRM system a joke.
Seems to me that your main problem here is quantity of stays.
If you don't stay at a Marriott, you will have no negative feedback in their internal system.
If you stay a few times at a Marriott, you may have a few comments about you in their internal system.
If you stay at a Marriott a lot, you will have many comments in their internal system.

Sadly though, it's across the board, and if you think about it, you yourself would likely insist that any CRM system you'd deploy for a hotel chain that you'd [hypothetically] own would have such a provision.
It is a natural requirement of such a business, and makes sense [to THEM!].

That the system gets abused and is in favor of the employee/hotel chain seems only logical, despite being unfair. I would suggest that such [unfair] systems are in place in much more than just hotel chains.

Being that you stay so many nights per year at hotels, I'd also suggest what already has been proposed in this thread by others: spread the wealth and stay at other hotel chains also.
mikebor likes this.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 24, 2018 at 6:06 am
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kaizen7

I have experience similar issue .... checked in, room is not ready, so I let fda do the paperwork and ask them to call me when room is ready as I have other things to do.
Hotel did call me in the afternoon but I only manage to pick up the key very late (11pm or so). Went to the room and realise the mistake, I return to front desk to inform them the mistake. After checking my confirmation email, they realise the suite I booked was sold out. After long wait ... almost 2 hours, finally they assign higher category suite.
During the process I never create a big fuss or anything.
If I had to wait until 1 am to get a suite I booked and paid for, I don’t think I’d be saying “It’s OK. Mistakes happen.”
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Long Distance
Rule #1 - The customer is not always right

Rule # 2 - Sometimes you need to fire the customer
Among the goals of CRM are to determine and retain profitable customers. Some customers just aren't worth it. A number of U.S. firms have very bright lines for staff treatment that will get a customer punted. If one is profane, for example, expect a phone agent to hang up on you. Staying lots of nights and spending lots of money don't entitle one to treat staff with contempt.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:43 am

Since we're all free to criticize "them" on here and social media, I don't see why the courtesy shouldn't be reciprocated. I mean, if you can dish it out, you should be able to take it too.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Among the goals of CRM are to determine and retain profitable customers. Some customers just aren't worth it. A number of U.S. firms have very bright lines for staff treatment that will get a customer punted. If one is profane, for example, expect a phone agent to hang up on you. Staying lots of nights and spending lots of money don't entitle one to treat staff with contempt.
Sigh you are missing the point. From what I learned about what has been written about me, most of it is totally not true and exaggerated to make me look awful. The front desk agent who shared a few comments with me said that this system contains negative info about many guests and they all are written to act like the hotel in question was 100% right about everything and the guest was rude or wrong or abusive, etc....

And on a different note I am agreeing with many on here, it's time to start doing status matches with Hilton and Hyatt and spreading my stays around. I think that temp GM at that Residence Inn telling me on the phone she doesn't want me to stay there was the final straw for me. I obviously have no ability to remove those comments in that internal system, they are now clouding hotels to the point where a GM won't even let me check in and I think it's totally wrong and unfair. So if I am not appreciated and being lied about because I have the courage to argue if there is a service breakdown or complain about a staff member if he or she is rude and then they go in this system and make me out to be Charles Manson, well it's time I try other chains while staying primarily at Marriott's that know me, like me and appreciate my business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.