Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Marriott's privacy policy includes the ability to request all personal information.
Privacy Policy: https://www.marriott.com/about/privacy.mi

To obtain a copy of your personal data, click Privacy Rights, then click the link 'this form'.

FWIW: Thread about requesting Hilton data: Hilton personal information request
Print Wikipost

Be Aware, All Marriotts Have an Internal System Where they can criticize you!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Sugar and Honey and everything nice is better than Vinegar

Basically, treat everyone with respect and a smile and you might be surprised how they treat you back.....I have had my run ins with whomever, but if you smile and treat them with respect 99.99999% of the time you can get a positive resolution.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:21 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Hotels don't need to see what sort of problems a guest had at other properties or the details of those problems. There's no value in it. They could develop a "troublemaker index" that factored in frequency and severity of issues and just give inquiring properties a credit-score-like rating without disclosing a bunch of irrelevant details that might bias whoever is reading them.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by pvn
This kind of comment isn't really helpful. I don't think the OP is unaware of what sort of behavior is naughty and what sort is nice. He seems pretty self-aware. You could do all this and still piss off a hotel employee without even realizing it because of a simple misunderstanding.
Or have a run of service failures that warrant complaints and be labeled a "complainer" when it's really the properties' fault.

I made a pretty big fuss two weeks ago when HR Bloomington tried to put me into a regular room when I'd booked a paid suite (didn't even know they'd downgraded me until I walked into the room). Does that make me a difficult guest?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or have a run of service failures that warrant complaints and be labeled a "complainer" when it's really the properties' fault.

I made a pretty big fuss two weeks ago when HR Bloomington tried to put me into a regular room when I'd booked a paid suite (didn't even know they'd downgraded me until I walked into the room). Does that make me a difficult guest?
That is exactly why I don’t sweat what is in a guest profile . There is too much room for discretion and interpretation . If I politely ask for suite upgrade , already knowing from website or call center that suites eligible for upgrade are available, and am told “no suite upgrades are available “ but I push back - then , perhaps , I am considered difficult . If I express disappointment that my room is not ready at the posted check-in time or if my bed type is not honored and I ask about elite benefits guarantee compensation- am I difficult ? Well , that’s up to an individual agent’s interpretation. Some agent or manager might feel i am rude for pushing for a published benefit and note my account . I am always polite but there is just too much room for individual discretion and that is why I don’t lose any sleep over any notes that may be in my account - I have no idea if there are any and not looking to find out .

Unfortunately , as this forum is inundated (rightly so ) with folks having to push or challenge to get program benefits , I suspect that many FT patrons are labeled as difficult .
it would be interesting though to hear any reports of folks who can get their profile information. I am curious if any travel or hospitality journalists have ever done a deep probe on this issue .
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Right, I think that's the problem with this. I am 80-100 nights/year across chains and have very few interactions that are out of the ordinary. But when I do, it is usually something that I would think is on the hotel. E.g. checking in late after a long travel day, having confirmed late check in earlier that day, then having to wait to figure out a room. In cases like that I'd be upset, hopefully still respectful, but upset. So would a hotel spin the comments of such situations in their favor? I would assume so.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mikebor
(...[Mariott is terrible])
Also was told(by a sympathetic front desk agent just recently) that there are other comments about me, basically saying not so nice things about me in certain properties. She was the one who told me about this and said all Rewards members that travel frequently are pretty much put in this system, basically to "warn" other hotels about us.

The woman who shared some of these comments with me pretty much came clean and said I have a history of complaining and being rude to staff based on what's in this system. But I told her I travel literally 10-11 months out of the year and the vast majority of the time I have great stays. She acknowledged that and said I am a great guest but this database system she said can give employees a preconceived notion about somebody before they stay. (...) The nice front desk agent told me that she reads these kinds of comments about lots of travelers and they are always negative.

(Blah blah blah)
Well Sir you can absolutely rest assured that the first thing Mariott will do when they find out about your ordeal on this thread is....
Look whoever "squealed" to you so they can fire her. So if you thought she was being nice well.... you just gave her a good reason to complain about you too!

On a less aggressive, but still just as serious note, if you are an EU citizen or have business with EU hotels, I do believe the GDPR allows you to obtain a copy of every data record that's kept about you, which includes this feedback, so anyone should feel free to ask your local hotel chain to comply. They will be in breach of the law if they don't.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
300 stays is a lot of nights. I am wondering whether the OP might be happier with other chains. It seems that most properties were more than happy to take his/her money, and then badmouth behind the OP’s back.
i wouldn't be surprised if other chains do this as well....
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I am surprised that someone who travels as much as OP did not know that CRM databases are pretty standard. Before databases, hotels kept paper files.

If this troubles you, you will need to look far and wide for a place to stay that does not track everything it can about you.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Mister Nice
Don’t forget that we , as guests , have access to multiple “crm” platforms . This forum serves as such - guests can comment on individual properties or corporate . There are also plenty of other sites where the consumer can comment or rate their experiences. I am not concerned about what might be in my profile . The VAST majority of my interactions with hotel employees are quick , efficient, and friendly.
There is a huge difference, as FT or any other forum or blog is public (or if it is friends-only page, it has no influence), i.e. accessible for both sides. Hotel & company employees can and do read TripAdvisor etc. and can and do respond to guest feedback.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Maestro Ramen
Well Sir you can absolutely rest assured that the first thing Mariott will do when they find out about your ordeal on this thread is....
Look whoever "squealed" to you so they can fire her. So if you thought she was being nice well.... you just gave her a good reason to complain about you too!

On a less aggressive, but still just as serious note, if you are an EU citizen or have business with EU hotels, I do believe the GDPR allows you to obtain a copy of every data record that's kept about you, which includes this feedback, so anyone should feel free to ask your local hotel chain to comply. They will be in breach of the law if they don't.
That is a good point and it does sound interesting, question is who to contact at Marriott for such information, I assume they must have appointed a Inofrmation Officer within the EU!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

Depends on how you make the complaints I guess.

If you realise you being downgraded, then return back to the front desk and inform them about the issue ... then no
But if you return to the front desk and start sceaming and throwing tantrums (and suitcases)around then yes.

With this notes, I guess the entry will be self corrected by itself if some rogue fd put a negative comment unfairly.
As other hotel staff will realise when they interact with the said guest.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by pvn
on the one hand, I can see why hotels do this, there are tons of nitpickers who will complain over the dumbest stuff imaginable and I'm sure they're insufferable jerks in lots of other ways.

On the other, OP does have a point. there's an inherent bias in this sort of system. Someone who stays 300 nights/year is likely to have six times as many interactions with staff as me, someone who stays around 50 nights a year. When someone is reviewing OP's permanent record, they're probably thinking "wow this guy gets tattled on a lot" and isn't factoring in the number of stays he has. He very well might be considerably less of a pain in the ... than the 50-night guest even though he has 5 times as many negative comments.

If the goal of this program is to give properties an accurate view of problem customers, it's almost certainly a big failure.
Wow you summed this up perfectly. Agree 1000%. This system maybe, maybe had a useful purpose but is used the wrong way, allows anybody to basically put anything they want in it without any requirement that it be accurate. Agree it is a big failure and hurts their most loyal members in the process.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:12 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
If the shoe fits...

It’s interesting how I’m an Ambassador guest who also requires excellent and constant air con for any hotel at which I stay—so much so that I get a guarantee in writing or identifiable manager on the phone confirming the hotel room/suite can maintain 67 F or cooler. And yet I’ve had many hotels that didn’t satisfy that requirement over the years, and I’ve always held the hotels to their guarantee.

I’ve always been firm but polite, insistent but courteous. And I’ve never had a single hotel refuse me service despite my more challenging requirement. I wonder if the same can be said for the OP.

Many if not most hotel chains/groups and even many finer restaurants have systems in place to keep track of commentary about customers.

It seems to me that only those who are disruptive, rude, or needlessly annoying should worry about any records of previous complaints. When complaints are reasonable, such a record goes to help future hotels plan accordingly to better satisfy their customers. When complaints are unreasonable, such a record goes to help future hotels perhaps avoid such customers.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum

I hate to tell you but probably yeah. With most likely whoever inputted comments about you exaggerating to the point that they will all think you are nasty and mean and the hotel bent over backwards trying to help you. Which makes this whole dumb CRM system a joke.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 10:32 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Keyser
i wouldn't be surprised if other chains do this as well....
They do, and some of the information from at least one such hotel group was picked up by a resourceful third country/foreign government that knew which US airline-rate-users and USG-rate-users were repeatedly flagged as trying to bring suspected prostitutes into the hotel rooms. And in at least one case, a US diplomat’s spouse was falsely suspected of being a prostitute for no reason than being part of an “interracial” couple and that too ended up being in there.

As I said earlier, if you have a legal hook to get this kind of information from hotel companies, doing so can lead to some entertaining reading at times. I really don’t mind what hotels or airlines think of my due criticism of travel service providers as long as I get my chance to get in my due criticism in an appropriate way and I get what I paid for. To those travel service providers who aren’t entirely professional in their handling of customers, I may come across as a difficult customer at times. But as someone who has spent many thousands of nights in hotels and on the proverbial road, I also know when something is off with a hotel stay. And then I find myself doing a public service and provide duly critical feedback in an appropriate way.

Last edited by GUWonder; Dec 23, 2018 at 10:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.