Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Platinum Challenge General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:32 am
HB7

Programs: BA Exec Club, SIA KrisFlyer, Qantas FF, Emirates Skywards
Platinum Elite Challenge

Hi All,

I have called Marriott about this and they said it is currently suspended - does anyone know if there is a way to request it. Or is it definitely suspended and no way around it?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:44 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by HB7
Hi All,

I have called Marriott about this and they said it is currently suspended - does anyone know if there is a way to request it. Or is it definitely suspended and no way around it?
They still open for status match I believe? Maybe that's another way even if you don't have any status with another chain to match, there is a way around it too.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 5:58 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Juntima
They still open for status match I believe? Maybe that's another way even if you don't have any status with another chain to match, there is a way around it too.
Unfortunately I have no status with any chains at all. Is there any other way around it?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:09 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by HB7
Unfortunately I have no status with any chains at all. Is there any other way around it?
One quick way is buying InterContinental Ambassador, it comes with Platinum Elite status in IHG, then stay a night at a cheap IHG to get a folio, then you are all set to match with Marriott.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:40 am
HB7

One quick way is buying InterContinental Ambassador, it comes with Platinum Elite status in IHG, then stay a night at a cheap IHG to get a folio, then you are all set to match with Marriott.
Awesome! Thanks for that, that should do it!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by HB7
Awesome! Thanks for that, that should do it!
Don't even need to do that. Apply for the Marriott business AMEX credit card and get a complementary Plat status for a year starting Feb 1, 2021 - $125 annual fee.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
I think the complimentary Plat status was limited time offer and ended on Jan. 13, 2021.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:47 am
HB7

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Don't even need to do that. Apply for the Marriott business AMEX credit card and get a complementary Plat status for a year starting Feb 1, 2021 - $125 annual fee.
I'm UK based, so unfortunately I don't think we have that
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Full), Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire, Wyndham DIA, Hilton Gold, AA EXP
Originally Posted by HB7
I'm UK based, so unfortunately I don't think we have that
You can apply AMEX Plat (UK ver.) to get Hilton Gold then status match to Marriott Platinum. You probably need a stay at Hilton to do the status match, though.
HB7 likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2021, 9:06 am
HB7

Originally Posted by lAzyTraveler
You can apply AMEX Plat (UK ver.) to get Hilton Gold then status match to Marriott Platinum. You probably need a stay at Hilton to do the status match, though.
Oh yeh that is another way to do it actually. Thanks
Old Jan 16, 2021, 6:23 pm
HB7

Hi Juntima, a thought just occurred to me. If I buy IC Ambassador, according to an article from TPG, your IHG status will be showing IC Ambassador: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/guide/int...sador-program/

I know I will get all the IHG Platinum Elite benefits with IC Ambassador, but will my IHG status actually display Platinum Elite or IC Ambassador - and therefore not qualify for a status match?
Old Jan 16, 2021, 11:21 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HB7
Hi Juntima, a thought just occurred to me. If I buy IC Ambassador, according to an article from TPG, your IHG status will be showing IC Ambassador: https://thepointsguy.co.uk/guide/int...sador-program/

I know I will get all the IHG Platinum Elite benefits with IC Ambassador, but will my IHG status actually display Platinum Elite or IC Ambassador - and therefore not qualify for a status match?
If log on a computer (it's kind of buggy on a phone), 2 digital cards will show, slide it to see the IHG card, screencap and crop only the IHG card (best that IC Amb not visible in the picture), then you are all good.
Old Jan 17, 2021, 3:49 am
HB7

If log on a computer (it's kind of buggy on a phone), 2 digital cards will show, slide it to see the IHG card, screencap and crop only the IHG card (best that IC Amb not visible in the picture), then you are all good.
Aha I see! Thanks for that!
Old Jan 18, 2021, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC:Silver ,IHG:Spire Amb ,QR:Silver,HH:Diamond
Hi . If I apply to do a status match from Hilton to Bonvoy platinum , will the upcoming double elite nights promotion count towards my 15 nights in 90 days to keep status for the year ? i.e will 8 nights be enough (16 after bonus ) . I think the wording is 15 paid nights so I'm doubtful . I messaged the contact centre but nobody has replied .

Thanks
Old Jan 18, 2021, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by crombiestone
Hi . If I apply to do a status match from Hilton to Bonvoy platinum , will the upcoming double elite nights promotion count towards my 15 nights in 90 days to keep status for the year ? i.e will 8 nights be enough (16 after bonus ) . I think the wording is 15 paid nights so I'm doubtful . I messaged the contact centre but nobody has replied .

Thanks
I asked this question on Twitter, and they said that the bonus nights do not count towards status earning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.