FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

Mister P. Sep 10, 2018 3:08 pm

Hi,
Bit of a basic question: How do you exactly make a hotel booking with a Travel Package? Do you actually have to make a cash booking online first, and then call to attach the certificate? Apologies if this has been answered before but I am new to Marriott / SPG and I am still trying to get my head around TPs.

Happy Sep 10, 2018 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mister P. (Post 30189566)
Hi,
Bit of a basic question: How do you exactly make a hotel booking with a Travel Package? Do you actually have to make a cash booking online first, and then call to attach the certificate? Apologies if this has been answered before but I am new to Marriott / SPG and I am still trying to get my head around TPs.

Make a Reward Nights booking online then call to attach the cert.

Or you can have the agent to make the booking at the time you call. This worked in the past but given the confusion, you would be better off to just make a Reward reservation online first. Marriott allows Point Advance booking for up to 14 days before arrival. Only work on Marriott properties as of now.

spgplat21 Sep 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by naroowal (Post 30189505)
I have a Old Tier 4-5 cert and it is attached to a reservation. I dont intend to use the reservation. If I cancel this travel certificate as per the old rules, you are supposed to get 315K marriott points. Can someone confirm if they have done this and if it is possible to do so. I feel Marriott has not communicated these details explicitly and correctly.

Yes you can do this and the 315K points were credited back immediately. The call took roughly 25 minutes and the first agent I spoke to had to get a supervisor involved because she wasn't familiar with the cancellation process.

It's a shame they screwed the Tier 4-5 holders over by only making these eligible for Category 7 properties. Between the delay in being able to apply these to SPG properties and the risk that I might need to adjust my stay dates after January when the properties I'm looking at will all be Category 8, it just made 0 sense for me to keep the certificate vs. the 315K points.

jiarule Sep 10, 2018 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek (Post 30175143)
Guys, you might be able to upgrade your certificates, bu you need to find a good agent to do it and GUIDE THEM.

What worked for me is:
  1. "Hi, are you able to see my list of certificates ?" if agent says Yes, proceed to next step;
  2. "You see that I have a P910 right ?" if agent says Yes, proceed to next step;
  3. "I would like to convert my certificate to one of the post-merger certificates, can you cancel the P910 cert and reorder the QPxx certificate ?" Now hope that the agent will feel confident enough to follow your guidance.

DP: Just got off a 2 hr call with the rewards dept, spoke to 3 different agents, and in the end a "supervisor" was able to convert/upgrade my OC6 P870 (-75,000) to NC5 QP91 (+105,000). So it's definitely possible, just gotta be patient until you get the right agent.

zachary Sep 10, 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by jiarule (Post 30189884)
DP: Just got off a 2 hr call with the rewards dept, spoke to 3 different agents, and in the end a "supervisor" was able to convert/upgrade my OC6 P870 (-75,000) to NC5 QP91 (+105,000). So it's definitely possible, just gotta be patient until you get the right agent.

Just to be sure, are you saying that you were able to convert from an OC6 to a NC5 for net cost of 30,000? I don't think we've seen anything previously to suggest that this is possible. Can you provide any insight into how you did this (besides using the codes above)? Thanks so much. This is exactly what I want to do with mine.

jiarule Sep 10, 2018 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by zachary (Post 30190061)
Just to be sure, are you saying that you were able to convert from an OC6 to a NC5 for net cost of 30,000? I don't think we've seen anything previously to suggest that this is possible. Can you provide any insight into how you did this (besides using the codes above)? Thanks so much. This is exactly what I want to do with mine.

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I followed MasterGeek's advice and mentioned the package numbers. "I would like to convert my 870T/P870 to QP91". Takes them a while to figure out exact what you want, and if the agent is clueless or isn't willing to help then ask for someone else. You could possibly go directly to a supervisor to save some time. Since the conversion is basically a cancel and reorder, in theory you could even upgrade multiple categories if the agent is willing. I think you should try to do this sooner rather than later, because once all their agents are trained up on the no upgrades policy (assuming they stick to it), then this loophole will close.

Also, FYI, the new certificate had an expiration date exactly one year from today.

dominick Sep 10, 2018 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21 (Post 30189859)
Yes you can do this and the 315K points were credited back immediately. The call took roughly 25 minutes and the first agent I spoke to had to get a supervisor involved because she wasn't familiar with the cancellation process.

It's a shame they screwed the Tier 4-5 holders over by only making these eligible for Category 7 properties. Between the delay in being able to apply these to SPG properties and the risk that I might need to adjust my stay dates after January when the properties I'm looking at will all be Category 8, it just made 0 sense for me to keep the certificate vs. the 315K points.

But I think the question is - can one book these Cat 8s (7s until Jan) between now and Jan?

If so, then why not wait until sometime between now and then? AND IF you cannot find something in this time period that will turn to cat 8, then redeem and/or wait until 2019 to book a Cat 7 hotel that suits? And/or if you don't like cat 7 available, or cant figure out what do, then credit back the 315k points before expiration?

spgplat21 Sep 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by dominick (Post 30190464)
But I think the question is - can one book these Cat 8s (7s until Jan) between now and Jan?

If so, then why not wait until sometime between now and then? AND IF you cannot find something in this time period that will turn to cat 8, then redeem and/or wait until 2019 to book a Cat 7 hotel that suits? And/or if you don't like cat 7 available, or cant figure out what do, then credit back the 315k points before expiration?

Agreed, and if I had enough points to wait for the process to play out I definitely would have because there still is some potential upside. But what I think is clear is that I wasn't going to be able to apply the new certs to Cat 8 properties after January, so at most I'm giving up 45K points (360k max potential value vs. 315K refund) to be able to confirm availability/bookings at SPG properties right now, and I can use all the points I had tied up holding reservations for those certificates on other redemptions that will increase in cost after January. I probably would have waited at least until later this month to cancel, but availability dried up at two properties I was looking at for spring break, so I wasn't going to keep chancing things with the other reservations I was looking at.

kkl Sep 10, 2018 10:41 pm

Has anyone managed to upgrade legacy 1-5 packages to current packages?

If so does this extend the expiry date

gatorlitigator Sep 10, 2018 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by kkl (Post 30190744)
Has anyone managed to upgrade legacy 1-5 packages to current packages?

If so does this extend the expiry date

When an NC# cert is issued(even a converion) the expiration date is 1 year from the date of issue.

eethan Sep 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Bought 3 travel pkgs in last year & still confused :-(

Can anyone correct my understanding? -

In order to redeem our current travel packages, we need Marriott to convert these certificates to new certificates with a different code.

But not all Marriott agents are trained to convert our certificates into a usable form. I've personally experienced Marriott "supervisors" hang up on me if they get stumped by my question.

So why are people spending hours on the phone to get their certs converted/renewed? Is it because you guys need to use the certs immediately?

- If we don't do anything, will the certs get converted?
- When the certs get converted, does the expiration reset for 1 year?
- Didn't Marriott state that we had 1 year to convert our Cat 6,8, etc certs and get a 30k refund? Don't we still have this option?

I hate thinking of myself as anyone's b**** but Marriott totally screwed me over this time.

gatorlitigator Sep 11, 2018 12:02 am

Originally Posted by eethan (Post 30190803)
- Didn't Marriott state that we had 1 year to convert our Cat 6,8, etc certs and get a 30k refund? Don't we still have this option?

You don't necessarily have a year, but rather only till the expiration of the original cert. Those folks who bought one right before the merger get about a year.

NJKen Sep 11, 2018 8:06 am

Originally Posted by quinella66 (Post 30186384)
I redeemed a Marriott category 9 (45k per night) travel package with 120k miles last year for 390k Marriott and it was one of the best deals going. Looking at new travel packages, it seems like they didn’t even do the math properly when setting point values.

Let’s take the closest example of category 6 (50k per night, all Cat 5+ are similar) and 50k AA miles, which costs 435k points, calculating them separately:

- 7 nights at Cat 6 is 50k x 6 (since 5th night is free) = 300k
- 50k AA miles are transferred at the ratio of 3:1 but you gain a bonus of 15k to the Marriott total being transferred for each 60k. So transfer 120k and Marriott adds 30k which is 150k / 3 for the 50 AA miles.
- 300k + 120k = 420k which is 15k CHEAPER than the travel package cost of 435k!

If you wanted 100k AA miles instead, then the travel package is 510k:

- 300k as above for the 7 nights
- 240k as double the above for 100k AA miles
- 540k if done separately which is 30k over the travel package cost.

So the travel package with 50k miles is not even a better deal than doing separately, and the 100k package is only saves about 5% (30k of 540k).

If I assume the same mileage transfer rate (which was possible with SPG), then my transfer last year would have been 600k if done separately (though with 5k more AA) while I paid 390k, which is a 35% savings.

Another way to look at it is to compare the number of Marriott points for an AA mile under each award (lower is better):
- regular miles transfer: 3
- in blocks of 60k Marriott points: 2.4
- new 50k travel package: 2.7
- new 100k travel package: 2.1
- old 120k travel package: 1

Clearly the old travel package was a far better deal. With the new program, why would anyone do a 50k miles travel package when it is a worse deal than doing them separately? For consistency, at least the 50k mileage package should be 30k cheaper to at least give the same mileage transfer rate as the 100k one. That would mean you save 15k by doing the package as opposed to paying 15k more. Not as good as the old one but more sensible. Am I missing something?

The one thing I believe you are forgetting (I may be wrong) is that the points per stay have increased post merger. My take is that those of us that emptied our points balances before Aug 18 were the winners. If people left points in their accounts, those points experienced a MAJOR devaluation. Going forward I wanna hunk is he best way to recalculate your example would be to look at a $200 hotel stay boat pre and post merger and calculate how many nights to get to said travel packages.

FlyingMoonwards Sep 11, 2018 8:10 am

Originally Posted by gatorlitigator (Post 30190795)
When an NC# cert is issued(even a converion) the expiration date is 1 year from the date of issue.

Is the expiration date the last date on which it can be attached to a reservation? Or do you actually need to have completed (or started) your 7 night stay) by that expiration date as well?

rny321 Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am

The new travel packages are priced using peak prices. A Cat 6 package with 50K miles would cost 1.5 times the number of miles plus 6 times the peak price per nights. 1.5 points/mile * 50K miles + 6 * 60K points per night = 435K points. For 100K miles the cost would be 510K.