FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Travel Package General Discussion Thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1928972-travel-package-general-discussion-thread.html)

margarita girl Sep 5, 2018 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Lizie (Post 30169061)

I'm not sure about this. When I redeem my Cat 6 cert I will be looking for a Cat 5 or Cat 6 property as repeatedly promised throughout the purchasing process. I won't be accepting a new Cat 4.

Let us know how that works out for you!

(You do know that the category scale has changed, right?)

naroowal Sep 5, 2018 4:50 am

Question regarding Tier 4-5 package

If I have a Tier 4-5 package and I don't plan on using it, can I get a refund and what would the amount be? I had calculated 315K Marriott points. Is that accurate?

Lizie Sep 5, 2018 5:59 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl (Post 30169110)

Let us know how that works out for you!

(You do know that the category scale has changed, right?)

Yes.

DziVang Sep 5, 2018 11:59 am

Anyone know if I can change dates on existing reservation booked with TP 7nights Cat 6 (new Cat 5)? Or I have to convert to new TP before I can rebook? I don't want to switch to new system as I need more points for same reservation. Thanks.

RedSun Sep 5, 2018 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DziVang (Post 30170679)
Anyone know if I can change dates on existing reservation booked with TP 7nights Cat 6 (new Cat 5)? Or I have to convert to new TP before I can rebook? I don't want to switch to new system as I need more points for same reservation. Thanks.

If your reservation is months away, I'd sit and wait. Marriott may get loose with the TPs. Its hands are just tied now. Not much juice you can squeeze out of MR now. They just can't do it.

If your reservation is within a month or two, it is up in the air....

Mr. Vker Sep 5, 2018 2:50 pm

I used to consider myself a TP PhD. Now I feel like I am in kindergarten. I have a Cat 8 I tried to downgrade. Twice I have been told the systems aren't ready and to try later. I think I will wait a few weeks. Nothing pressing to use it.

Zelucifer Sep 5, 2018 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by atojbk (Post 30168188)
Anyone have any luck upgrading? I still think its absurd not being able to upgrade at the new rates...

I've seen one report of someone upgrading. The systems still seem to be quite flakey.

Happy Sep 5, 2018 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lizie (Post 30169061)
'If you hold a Category 6, 8, or Tier 1-3 legacy certificate, it's ideal to downgrade your certificate before converting so that points don't potentially get lost in the process.' hhoope01

I'm not sure about this. When I redeem my Cat 6 cert I will be looking for a Cat 5 or Cat 6 property as repeatedly promised throughout the purchasing process. I won't be accepting a new Cat 4.

Wish you all the bests. Make them pull phone records, threaten them you would sue in small claim courts or whatever legal avenues available. And keep us updated.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker (Post 30171230)
I used to consider myself a TP PhD. Now I feel like I am in kindergarten. I have a Cat 8 I tried to downgrade. Twice I have been told the systems aren't ready and to try later. I think I will wait a few weeks. Nothing pressing to use it.

System CAN handle it but reps may not know HOW TO do it. The rep who did the downgrade for me several days ago, initially did not know how to but she went to check - and came back told me, "I need to do it using the Old System." The mechanism is to cancel the old cert and reorder the new cert. with the lower amount. I even managed to cancel a new NC4 with value of the OC6 and receiving the full pts into my account. I already have more certs than I feel I can use within one year so more willing to get full refund of the points on the partial cert.

I hope Sept 18 would really bring about the change but I am not hopeful the way Marriott IT has been functioning. If you read other threads on how people's point balances are messed up, stays not posting, etc etc and their account statuses kept changing - it seems to me the IT tried to fix one thing and then broke other things in the process.

Marriott is simply too cheap not to hire the data migration experts (such as the Big 4) to do the job. Wonder there is even the Go/No Go meetings before the migration, judged by the myriad of issues we are facing. In any other industries, the management would make apologies to their customers and to keep communication channels open as on the progress. Yet, we have not heard any official words from Marriott either before AND after the messy merger. The only tidbits we have had so far are the posts here, and the David Flueck interviews with selected bloggers, that this guy has the nerve to claim 99.9% of their customers are not affected by the merger... Wow. talk about Big Lie.

craigthemif Sep 5, 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 30171651)

The mechanism is to cancel the old cert and reorder the new cert. with the lower amount.

For every agent who correctly cancels and old cert for a full refund and/or reissue, there will be 10 others who incorrectly cancel and you'll get 45K points instead of a new certificate.

I certainly wouldn't try to guide an agent into following that mechanism...

Happy Sep 5, 2018 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif (Post 30171702)
For every agent who correctly cancels and old cert for a full refund and/or reissue, there will be 10 others who incorrectly cancel and you'll get 45K points instead of a new certificate.

I certainly wouldn't try to guide an agent into following that mechanism...

They can fix that and order you the new cert. There are multiple DPs reported on the now closed thread. In most cases if the agents are willing to try, they are comfortable with the process / willing to fix it in case not working. Those who dont know would almost 100% NOT do what you suggest them to do to begin with.

Key is to give the agent the CORRECT Code for the new cert to order. Wiki has the information.

seankearns Sep 6, 2018 11:05 am

What is the over/under for when we'll actually get some info from Marriott regarding the TPs that isn't a blog post?

ukinny2000 Sep 6, 2018 11:49 am

Originally Posted by seankearns (Post 30174553)
What is the over/under for when we'll actually get some info from Marriott regarding the TPs that isn't a blog post?

Jan 2nd, once all the new-cat 8 prices are in place?

civicmon Sep 6, 2018 12:01 pm

FWIW.... had an OC5 tied to a reservation. Travel plans completely changed and now trying to apply it to a NC4 Starwood hotel. Still can't attach them. Nice lady on the Marriott Reservations line and is very helpful but the issue is on the Starwood side and they apparently have no idea how the certs work on the Starwood side. The Marriott lady flat out said that they have no idea when they will able to use these certificates.

They can book with points now but not with certs. Absolutely no ETA. Hope that Sept ~17 deadline will fix things.

Happy Sep 6, 2018 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by civicmon (Post 30174790)
FWIW.... had an OC5 tied to a reservation. Travel plans completely changed and now trying to apply it to a NC4 Starwood hotel. Still can't attach them. Nice lady on the Marriott Reservations line and is very helpful but the issue is on the Starwood side and they apparently have no idea how the certs work on the Starwood side. The Marriott lady flat out said that they have no idea when they will able to use these certificates.

They can book with points now but not with certs. Absolutely no ETA. Hope that Sept ~17 deadline will fix things.

As of now, when I try to book an SPG property from Marriott site, it redirect me to the SPG OLD SYSTEM to finalize the booking.
Likewise when I try to book a Marriott property from SPG site, it redirect me to the Marriott site to finalize the booking.

Oh. for the 5th night free booking, on SPG site it shows the AVG pts per night incl the 5th night free in the calculation so each night shows pt charge. The same type of booking on Marriott site it shows the regular rate with the total of only 4 nights charged, with 1st night being free in the details, versus the 5th night.

That is how we get when the IT is outsourced to China to do it by piece meal fashion.

I would not hold my breadth that we could use those certs on SPG properties when Sept 18 comes, when right now they are not even bookable with regular bookings (both pay and ordinary points) on the Marriott site, and must be done on the Legacy SPG system whch never has the "cert" thing. It will require many codes to add the "cert" feature to SPG legacy system.
The only hope would be they can migrate ALL SPG properties to the Marriott booking platform. Right now for the SPG properties I check. all of them redirect me to the legacy SPG booking engine....

MasterGeek Sep 6, 2018 1:23 pm

Guys, you might be able to upgrade your certificates, bu you need to find a good agent to do it and GUIDE THEM.

What worked for me is:
  1. "Hi, are you able to see my list of certificates ?" if agent says Yes, proceed to next step;
  2. "You see that I have a P910 right ?" if agent says Yes, proceed to next step;
  3. "I would like to convert my certificate to one of the post-merger certificates, can you cancel the P910 cert and reorder the QPxx certificate ?" Now hope that the agent will feel confident enough to follow your guidance.