Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Marriott began the IT integration of its 3 loyalty programs on August 18 with a goal of combining them into one unified program. It told members to expect websites and apps to be inaccessible that day and problems stretched into the middle of the week. By Thursday, the dust seemed to settle although members continued to report specific issues.
Print Wikipost

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by phltraveler
I have seen more than one indication on twitter that somehow reservations are getting crossed, and on the final reservation screen sometimes people are seeing the names and email addresses of other Marriott customers.
I've seen another claiming that there is a registration under that person's MR account with that person's credit card number, but the name/email of a totally different guest (not posting the link here because the person tweeting it did not censor/redact the name/ full email of the person in question), which is very disturbing.
This condition, sometimes referred to as "nonsafe threading", can be partly caused by unbalanced load or insufficiently architected servers for content delivery. If their web servers are getting hammered, and I suspect they are, then session threads will queue up for processing, and sometimes these threads get crossed between user sessions. Suddenly, you are looking at someone else's information.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
This is worse than CO/UA. I am sure it will get better but I am seriously reconsidering my strategy for 2020. 2019 I will be Platinum based on stays this year so I will try to maximize that and then move on.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador elite & lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Emirates Plat, Flying Blue Plat
With all due respect, this transition is a disaster. Is Marriott doing 'live' updates on the production system without any previous testing? Otherwise I cannot understand the multiple changes on the data being reported across web and app. It keeps changing! I really hope there is someplace with a consistent historical data, otherwise it will be a nightmare to follow-up with marriott and claim back the nights and points that are disappearing or reported incorrectly.

Over the course of the last 4 days, I have seen my status going from Gold, to nothing, to Premiere Elite with Ambassador, to Premiere Elite. There is a difference of 60 nights between what I see on the web and what I have on the app. The points for a stay I cancelled 3 days ago have not been refunded yet. I just tried to do a booking in Singapore where the website said the rate was USD 25 per night, then on next page it was SGP 300 (or USD 220).

There seems to be mistakes all across with the data. And given the multiple changes and updates, I can only imagine that the IT teams are on a reactive mode, messing up things as they try to fix others.
And on top of that, there has been zero communication officially from Marriott, not a single email, nothing.

It has been 5 days now since Aug 18. And it does not look like the systems are stable at all.

But according to status.marriott.com right now: all is working fine. Awesome.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:37 pm

I have a more basic question. Forgetting about the sign-in issues, points, status, etc. Is there a damn way to sort results by price?!
Bigshaker likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
The number of threads in this parent forum and the subforums talking about all the various issues (of all severity and priority - some of which are also quite hilarious) is pretty crazy and difficult to keep up with.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And the bottom of the page shows how many people are in this forum. It has been very long.

Definitely not impressed - by the conversion itself and the handling of the problems. Called a toll number and got a busy signals after answering a bunch of questions.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by josep
There seems to be mistakes all across with the data. And given the multiple changes and updates, I can only imagine that the IT teams are on a reactive mode, messing up things as they try to fix others.
Yes this is a very bad sign. Five days in and it's still a total dumpster fire, with issues identified on day 1 not resolved, and new ones still cropping up.

Originally Posted by josep
But according to status.marriott.com right now: all is working fine. Awesome.
They are burning an awful lot of goodwill by failing to acknowledge all the issues. Who do they think they're fooling?

I did quite a bit of Marriott defending prior to August 18. Forget that.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
And the new threads keep on coming with new and somewhat unbelievable (in that it actually happened) issues.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
It's been a complete cluster so far
Old Aug 22, 2018, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder if they have a rollback plan and if so, if they are going to execute it and defer the program merger to a future date.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Talking

Originally Posted by yyznomad
I wonder if they have a rollback plan and if so, if they are going to execute it and defer the program merger to a future date.
why? From Marriott pow everything works fine :

Systems Are Online

Reservations, members accounts, and other major systems functionality are all up and running at this time.
forumpersona999 likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RTWFF
It's been a complete cluster so far
Yeah this reminds me of the Continental United merger, but may be worse. As an SPG guy not wanting me to give Marriott more business, when I was already not thrilled with the merger/acquisition.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by troyintn
Yeah this reminds me of the Continental United merger, but may be worse. As an SPG guy not wanting me to give Marriott more business, when I was already not thrilled with the merger/acquisition.
Will this cause you to leave the New Marriott program and focus on another hotel chain? If so, which one?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by osotoc
Will this cause you to leave the New Marriott program and focus on another hotel chain? If so, which one?
till end of the year I will renew hilton diamond (9 nights) and secure a back up with going back to Hyatt globalist (ex diamond here). Just in case it goes wrong with SPG properties next year.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frenchft
till end of the year I will renew hilton diamond (9 nights) and secure a back up with going back to Hyatt globalist (ex diamond here). Just in case it goes wrong with SPG properties next year.
Sound plan. I think the footprint and reach of Marriott's 29 brand works well for me going forward.
There are still some holes of course, and usually my annual big work trip is at a Hilton property (I can't choose otherwise).
Though, I'm taking the opportunity to sample some different Marriott brands when I can: big, small, luxury, and not-so-much luxury. haha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.