Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin

I don't agree that it takes 15 minutes of housekeeping time--because this is a very unusual request. That requires quite a lot of action and follow up action from the Ambassador contact at the hotel, housekeeping management at the hotel, and housekeepers at the hotel to accomplish IMO, especially for a multi-day visit. Again, IMO, it's easier for a green guest to simply not use the non-green products rather than ask a hotel to remove them in advance--something that would be out of the norm. Not using the products results in the same experience as those not being in the room IMO.

I do not think it impacts my chances at all. Nor do I think having the special request for each booking indicating that I ask for rooms to be preset to 67 F to matter when it comes to upgrades. If I get the upgrade in advance, then they should be able to more easily preset it to 67 F; if I get the upgrade on arrival, then there's no expectation that they could have preset the temp.
I used the plastic bottles as an example ... but will note that not using the products results in the same experience as using them ... they are dumped into the garbage. Not having them in the room is the only effective solution (assuming they don't just dump them in the garbage!).

That being said, the posters request seemed to me to be something comparable to that in terms of time/effort and I'm curious about his/her experiences on the request.

I would have thought it might impact your upgrade chances favorably ... as it gets the hotel to identify they have a guest with an ambassador and may result in more pre-upgrades. Then again, I don't have any standing requests like this (room temperature, bottles, pillows or otherwise) so I don't know.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Requests like the one you mention is ridiculously personal and not appropriate for most hotel brands. A request to not have toiletry products in the room expects a level of personalization from hotel housekeeping and hotel management that I don’t think is generally appropriate for anything below a 5 star luxury hotel.
99% of the time I can't even get extra towels and the extra feather pillows, both of which are requested on every reservation I make.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I don't agree that it takes 15 minutes of housekeeping time--because this is a very unusual request. That requires quite a lot of action and follow up action from the Ambassador contact at the hotel, housekeeping management at the hotel, and housekeepers at the hotel to accomplish IMO, especially for a multi-day visit.
Again, I request on every reservation extra feather pillows and extra towels. I've seen the manifest that the hotels print out every day for housekeepers on each floor. Order by room number, the manifest (typically without the last name) includes elite status, if any, and any special requests. Even with extra towels and extra pillows noted, they are never supplied unless I make a point of complaining. What's worse is the growing number of Marriott hotels using faux feather pillows to, presumably, save money.

Whenever my ambassador gets around to contacting me -- I still haven't been assigned one, despite confirming multiple times that I have the status -- I will specify that I want no sweets of any kind sent to my room. In Europe and Asia, I often get a plate of chocolate or other desserts that I never eat and only throw out. I'm assuming this is pretty common, especially for those with nut allergies.

When I do events I put riders in the contract that require a daily amenity of six Diet Cokes or Diet Pepsis and a framed picture of a family member on the nightstand.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Again, I request on every reservation extra feather pillows and extra towels. I've seen the manifest that the hotels print out every day for housekeepers on each floor. Order by room number, the manifest (typically without the last name) includes elite status, if any, and any special requests. Even with extra towels and extra pillows noted, they are never supplied unless I make a point of complaining. What's worse is the growing number of Marriott hotels using faux feather pillows to, presumably, save money.
By BHR's logic, you shouldn't expect the pillows and towels unless you're at a LC, St.R., or RC. Not sure how things worked on legacy SPG, but these have been options for a long time on the Marriott side at all levels of properties.

I recognize his preference for LC, St.R., or RC but there is no reason that a Fairfield Inn, CY, or Marriott shouldn't provide elite recognition or other benefits under the program. 24 Hour room service is not a brand standard at a CY or a Marriott so I don't expect it. On the other hand, I don't expect an ambassador or a property to blow off a request because its "only at a non-luxury" property. If I did a bell curve on those meeting the ambassador program requirements. I'd suspect only a minority have the majority of their stays at LC, St.R, or RC and the program isn't specific to those brands so we should stop trying to discourage others from using an ambassador at other properties.
Kobetraveller likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
MR profile is limited to those selectable options.
Extra pillow, Extra towel etc etc

There are no field about Special Request.

If Im not mistaken, when people book SPG hotel, you can add that special request on the special request field in your booking.

I wonder if those will be prefilled if members have their preferences saved by SPG system already.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I used the plastic bottles as an example ... but will note that not using the products results in the same experience as using them ... they are dumped into the garbage. Not having them in the room is the only effective solution (assuming they don't just dump them in the garbage!).
What? They throw sealed toiletry bottles and unopened bars of soap in the garbage? I’ve been bringing my opened bottles and bars of soap from hotel to hotel to reuse rather than create waste by opening new ones. Next thing you’ll tell me is all those untouched neatly folded towels on the shelf get thrown in the wash?

Guess I’ll have to ask my ambassador to have those things removed from the room!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

By BHR's logic, you shouldn't expect the pillows and towels unless you're at a LC, St.R., or RC. Not sure how things worked on legacy SPG, but these have been options for a long time on the Marriott side at all levels of properties.

I recognize his preference for LC, St.R., or RC but there is no reason that a Fairfield Inn, CY, or Marriott shouldn't provide elite recognition or other benefits under the program. 24 Hour room service is not a brand standard at a CY or a Marriott so I don't expect it. On the other hand, I don't expect an ambassador or a property to blow off a request because its "only at a non-luxury" property. If I did a bell curve on those meeting the ambassador program requirements. I'd suspect only a minority have the majority of their stays at LC, St.R, or RC and the program isn't specific to those brands so we should stop trying to discourage others from using an ambassador at other properties.
Since 8/18, some of the best properties in terms of recognition, giving me extra towels, or providing toiletries (toothbrush, shaving cream, etc.) when requested through the mobile application have been limited-service Courtyard and Four Points by Sheraton hotels. Even before 8/18 at legacy Marriott properties, my standing requests for extra towels and extra feather pillows were 99% of the time never met, including when I was at properties under the faux luxury J.W. Marriott and Ritz-Carlton brands.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For some of us, a feather free room is a health requirement that I would expect any hotel to honor, not just the luxury brands.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold

Now you've put words in my mouth that I didn't say! I never said anything about pillow and towel requests being unreasonable requests for non-luxury hotels. I do not think those are unreasonable requests for all hotels, even if I am not always surprised when non-luxury hotels don't fulfill the requests!

(I also don't think hotels not executing those requests is any slight on the Ambassadors who still make the requests on our behalf.)

Again, the general selection criteria for SPG and Marriott have allowed us to choose those requests, so it stands to reason that it's not unreasonable.

That isn't the same as requesting a preset temperature or asking for toiletries to be removed from the room. That has nothing to do with any preference I have for luxury hotels, either. You've unfortunately conflated two separate issues.

We're discussing what a reasonable request is based on the brand at which one is staying. I believe hotel brands with higher levels of service standards are more appropriate for more unusual requests--on average. That doesn't mean one cannot ask, of course, but that does mean that expectations should be accordingly tempered.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For some of us, a feather free room is a health requirement that I would expect any hotel to honor, not just the luxury brands.
And I've never seen any marketing by SPG or Marriott suggesting ambassador benefits only apply at luxury brands or even that they are targeting guests at luxury brands for that benefit.
Kobetraveller likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:30 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
And I've never seen any marketing by SPG or Marriott suggesting ambassador benefits only apply at luxury brands or even that they are targeting guests at luxury brands for that benefit.
Please do read my posts again. That isn’t what I’ve said, I’m afraid.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by margarita girl

What? They throw sealed toiletry bottles and unopened bars of soap in the garbage? I’ve been bringing my opened bottles and bars of soap from hotel to hotel to reuse rather than create waste by opening new ones. Next thing you’ll tell me is all those untouched neatly folded towels on the shelf get thrown in the wash?

Guess I’ll have to ask my ambassador to have those things removed from the room!
Ew, I hope so...
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:11 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver

I'm pretty sure they did exactly like that

Saw that at StR Singapore and RC Al Hamra
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:10 pm

If you're lucky, they get donated. Otherwise, yes, garbage.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

I too would hope if the bottles are actually sealed then kept and reused is expected. However, if not sealed, I can see them not willing to risk they've been tampered with in some way (there are some really sick people out there and many will stay in hotels at some point). Even removing all towels, used or not, is much safer in case they have been tampered with in some way (itching powder for example). Yes, totally juvenile acts, but wouldn't you expect the property to step up to correct? The cost is much cheaper than the recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.