Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2018, 4:27 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
I'm definitely in that camp. My ambassador quickly went from great to thoroughly useless over the past 2 months. No idea what happened, but I'm not getting any replies from him except for very occasional ones, and it takes forever to get replies to even the generic ambassador team email. I've had multiple issues not resolved by the time of check-in, only getting a reply from the team after I'd already handled it myself at the property.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 5:32 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I think this is fair. My Ambassador is the same excellent guy, but I’m sure he has a lot less time to support me and a lot of properties are just ignoring him. After 3 weeks he’s not even been able to get a response from Al Maha on a Your24, for example.

If a top category SPG Luxury Collection Hotel isn’t answering basic Ambassador requests, then you know you’ve got a problem. From trying the same at the Hotel Arts and the RC Berlin, it looks like this is a common theme. At this stage i’m trying to avoid any but essential requests and making sure I don’t assume I will get any status benefits so that I’m never left without a plan B.

If only Virtuoso agents were allowed to trigger a Your24 or SNA this would be a lot easier.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
If this is what "we" are dealing with, I can't even imagine how bad it is for the average consumer...
imverge, EuropeanPete and getagb like this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Thank goodness it isn't just my imagination. But there's really something off with the Ambassador Program post merge. Zero special recognition from hotels. Emails unanswered. Issues like my 2 SNAs not returned to my account. Etc etc.

I still have 110% faith in my ambassador. But it's MR and what they want the program to be like that i am questioning
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just curious, those that are not getting any response from their emails, have you tried setting acknowledgements on your messages (if you client allows it)? I have a lot more leniency for those that have not received my message than those that have ignored it. Some clients to allow the recipient to prevent the ack but worth a shot. Also, has anyone seen anything that might represent an SLA (service level agreement) that ambassadors are expected to deliver? Are we expecting more than they are willing to deliver let alone able to deliver. We know the general support team is not delivering what has been promised, maybe the ambassadors are just aligning themselves.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:16 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I have only had an Ambassador since June, so admittedly little experience but aside from a 7 day period 8/18 to 8/25 when my Ambassador was MIA, I have not experienced any service lapses. In fact, I think my Ambassador has been even more helpful post merger.

She has been awesome in helping me receive refunds on several points bookings and I always receive prompt replies to my email inquiries. I’m actually mad at myself for not pursuing Ambassador status several years ago (I had 3 years in a row when I was in striking distance)

bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 8, 2018 at 9:25 am
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott/Starwood Lifetime Titanium, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Spire, United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
You can request to switch ambassadors.
How does one do this?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:51 pm

Deleted: no longer relevant

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Oct 8, 2018 at 3:39 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
I forgot to ask if the General Ambassador communicated my standard preferences so I will call my Personal Ambassador this afternoon to clarify
curious ...what are those standard preferences your ambassador communicates?
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:24 pm

Deleted: no longer relevant

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Oct 9, 2018 at 12:24 pm
Old Oct 7, 2018, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA: Plat, Marriott: Annual Ambassador, Lifetime Grandfather
Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
Will reply to you by DM in a little bit.
C17PSGR isn't the only one who's interested in what "standard preferences your ambassador communicates" are.

-mvitale
porkie likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mvitale
C17PSGR isn't the only one who's interested in what "standard preferences your ambassador communicates" are.

-mvitale
I received a nice DM from above discussing those preferences. Very much appreciated! Some of us are concerned that too much information might identify us and prefer to be somewhat discrete in our postings which is very understandable.

That being said, the preferences were very logical and should be easy for the hotel to handle in a few minutes. I suspect they are the type of thing that some of us ask for on arrival and then wait for it to be taken care of.

But ... for example, lets assume one of us told our ambassador that we are concerned about plastic waste and don't want toiletry bottles in the room. Are there ambassadors making those requests for all stays? And .... would making such a request make an upgrade more or less likely?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:08 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some of us are concerned that too much information might identify us and prefer to be somewhat discrete in our postings which is very understandable.
I know this is true, and I believe it is one of the many reasons that some Ambassadors don’t realize they aren’t satisfying their guests. I think too many people complain here on FlyerTalk (and TripAdvisor and marriott.com now) but never actually complain to their Ambassadors (or to their hotels, for that matter).

Like I do on Twitter, I find it important to be balanced in sharing my positive experiences as much as my negative experiences. While I don’t have many negative experiences with my Ambassador or the general Ambassador team, I’ve had a few over the years which I’ve shared here as well as to my Ambassador. And I’ve had many negative experiences at hotels, even those I love, which I’ve shared both here on FlyerTalk (and TripAdvisor and Marriott.com and SPG.com before that) and to my Ambassador.

I think that my (reasonable) complaints actually help my Ambassador and the hotels make me and other guests happier.

That being said, the preferences were very logical and should be easy for the hotel to handle in a few minutes. I suspect they are the type of thing that some of us ask for on arrival and then wait for it to be taken care of.
I think it’s quite interesting to learn of unusual requests...though when the requests sound like they’re coming from a celebrity diva, I can understand why people wouldn’t want to reveal them!

But ... for example, lets assume one of us told our ambassador that we are concerned about plastic waste and don't want toiletry bottles in the room. Are there ambassadors making those requests for all stays? And .... would making such a request make an upgrade more or less likely?
I think this request borders on that of a celebrity diva, actuallly. This to me generally is less about what an Ambassador can or cannot do for a guest and more about what is reasonable or unreasonable to ask from a hotel. For luxury brand hotels, known for offering more personal service that we obviously pay more to receive, more unusual requests like this may be more reasonable, perhaps. For most brand sectors, however, I think this request would be unreasonable and that such guests instead should be staying at nicer/more personalized service level brands.

We still get what we pay for. I remind everyone that an Ambassador cannot and should not turn a midscale hotel into an upscale hotel, and certainly not into a luxury hotel. Requests like the one you mention is ridiculously personal and not appropriate for most hotel brands. A request to not have toiletry products in the room expects a level of personalization from hotel housekeeping and hotel management that I don’t think is generally appropriate for anything below a 5 star luxury hotel. There’s a difference between asking for toiletries to be removed from my room at a Marriott and a St. Regis. My Ambassador isn’t the issue; the hotel brand and hotel individual service level is the real issue IMO.

I ask my Ambassador and all hotels to preset my air con to 67 F before my arrival. My Ambassador knows this and often reminds hotels of that. But my SPG profile also clearly indicated that, and I often re-include that in the special request section of every hotel booking I make. For some hotels, I actually get that guaranteed in writing before I even book—as I did again for my just completed stays at the StR Florence, La Bandita Townhouse Pienza, and Atlantis by Giardino Zurich, reviews forthcoming.

Of course, if I get a suite upgrade on arrival at the last minute, I obviously do not expect the suite to be already pre-cooled to 67 F!

Last edited by bhrubin; Oct 8, 2018 at 9:17 am
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:26 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think this request borders on that of a celebrity diva, actuallly. This to me generally is less about what an Ambassador can or cannot do for a guest and more about what is reasonable or unreasonable to ask from a hotel. For luxury brand hotels, known for offering more personal service that we obviously pay more to receive, more unusual requests like this may be more reasonable, perhaps. For most brand sectors, however, I think this request would be unreasonable and that such guests instead should be staying at nicer/more personalized service level brands.

We still get what we pay for. I remind everyone that an Ambassador cannot and should not turn a midscale hotel into an upscale hotel, and certainly not into a luxury hotel. Requests like the one you mention is ridiculously personal and not appropriate for most hotel brands. A request to not have toiletry products in the room expects a level of personalization from hotel housekeeping and hotel management that I don’t think is generally appropriate for anything below a 5 star luxury hotel. There’s a difference between asking for toiletries to be removed from my room at a Marriott and a St. Regis. My Ambassador isn’t the issue; the hotel brand and hotel individual service level is the real issue IMO.
I suppose that's one we disagree on. I haven't made this request but there is certainly a focus on the great Pacific Garbage Patch. I happen to know the plastic toiletry bottles were a major subject of discussion at SPG before the merger so I would have thought that was an idea you liked!

But ... a request to not have toiletry products is no different than a request to not have feather pillows in a room ... it takes 15 minutes of housekeeping time. The poster above didn't reference toiletry products but it seems to me his/her request would also involve 15 minutes of housekeeping time. The whole purpose of the ambassador program is to "personalize" your stay according to the original SPG description. If 15 minutes of personalization is unreasonable to expect, then the program doesn't seem to offer much of anything. Removing feather pillows or toiletries from an Element won't turn it into a St. Regis but its not much of a burden.

When you stay at a Westin, do you still expect your room to be pre-set and cooled to 67 degrees when you arrive?

And ... do you think that by having your ambassador contact the hotel in advance for your temperature requests, it impacts the chances of an upgrade for better or worse?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:45 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I suppose that's one we disagree on. I haven't made this request but there is certainly a focus on the great Pacific Garbage Patch. I happen to know the plastic toiletry bottles were a major subject of discussion at SPG before the merger so I would have thought that was an idea you liked!
Haha, I do love the interest in being green. I just don't think it's appropriate to expect a Sheraton or Marriott of 400 rooms to be able to remove toiletries from a room. If a green guest has green interests, that guest simply doesn't need to use those toiletries IMO.

But ... a request to not have toiletry products is no different than a request to not have feather pillows in a room ... it takes 15 minutes of housekeeping time. The poster above didn't reference toiletry products but it seems to me his/her request would also involve 15 minutes of housekeeping time. The whole purpose of the ambassador program is to "personalize" your stay according to the original SPG description. If 15 minutes of personalization is unreasonable to expect, then the program doesn't seem to offer much of anything. Removing feather pillows or toiletries from an Element won't turn it into a St. Regis but its not much of a burden.
I don't agree that it takes 15 minutes of housekeeping time--because this is a very unusual request. That requires quite a lot of action and follow up action from the Ambassador contact at the hotel, housekeeping management at the hotel, and housekeepers at the hotel to accomplish IMO, especially for a multi-day visit. Again, IMO, it's easier for a green guest to simply not use the non-green products rather than ask a hotel to remove them in advance--something that would be out of the norm. Not using the products results in the same experience as those not being in the room IMO.

When you stay at a Westin, do you still expect your room to be pre-set and cooled to 67 degrees when you arrive?
For any upper upscale hotel (or full service as Marriott people like to say), I would expect that. But I am not as surprised when a Sheraton, Westin, or even Le Meridien forgets to do it. Fortunately, most do preset it. However, I am surprised and quite unforgiving when I ask a StR or LC or W or RC to do it and it isn't done. This and poor air con are perhaps my most common issues at luxury hotels, in fact.

I expect it for a FP or CY, too..but I never am shocked when it doesn't happen.

FWIW, most of my hotels pre-cool to 67 F from the FP Midtown NYC or FP Chelsea NYC to the Le Meridien Arlington or StR Florence or SLS Beverly Hills. But the La Bandita Townhouse and Atlantis by Giardino Zurich most recently did not--but they both are Design Hotels, so I cut them a little slack. LBT did quickly cool to 17 C! Atlantis didn't assign a proper room originally, and the new room didn't cool to below 21 C, so I complained all the way to the GM--since I'd asked and been guaranteed 18 C in writing in advance. They eventually installed a portable air con unit which cooled to 17 C.

And ... do you think that by having your ambassador contact the hotel in advance for your temperature requests, it impacts the chances of an upgrade for better or worse?
I do not think it impacts my chances at all. Nor do I think having the special request for each booking indicating that I ask for rooms to be preset to 67 F to matter when it comes to upgrades. If I get the upgrade in advance, then they should be able to more easily preset it to 67 F; if I get the upgrade on arrival, then there's no expectation that they could have preset the temp.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.