Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by weld3z
Hi..
As we know we need 100 nights and 20k to got this status , I'm on my 50 nights today planning for the 100 this year, but how we can track the 20k ?

I think I'm good for 20k because most of the time we booked 2 or 3 rooms but any simple easy way to know how much i have been spent ?
I know i can calculate the invoices but this well take time just looking for easy way
Thanks
What makes you think that the second/third room will count toward the $20,000?
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:51 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by weld3z
Hi..
As we know we need 100 nights and 20k to got this status , I'm on my 50 nights today planning for the 100 this year, but how we can track the 20k ?

I think I'm good for 20k because most of the time we booked 2 or 3 rooms but any simple easy way to know how much i have been spent ?
I know i can calculate the invoices but this well take time just looking for easy way
Thanks
If you do a fair bit of speculations and reading around here and the travel bloggers. The current listed T&C on qualified spending is still quite unclear.
Some bloggers reported their SPG ambassadors interpreting different information regarding the qualified spending.
At this point, there is no way to be sure unless you write in or call the Marriott rewards team, or just have to wait in the coming months for the company to release more info regarding the new rules.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What in the world would make you think it wouldn’t?

Marriott’s current and new loyalty program policies both allow points earning on up to 3 rooms for an individual, so it stands to reason that any revenue spent to Marriott will count toward the $20K, too.

Just because Marriott doesn’t allow elite night credit for more than 1 room doesn’t mean Marriott won’t count revenue overall.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:00 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
If you do a fair bit of speculations and reading around here and the travel bloggers. The current listed T&C on qualified spending is still quite unclear.
Some bloggers reported their SPG ambassadors interpreting different information regarding the qualified spending.
At this point, there is no way to be sure unless you write in or call the Marriott rewards team, or just have to wait in the coming months for the company to release more info regarding the new rules.
1. Good luck getting through to a phone agent.

2. Good luck getting a phone agent to actually answer the question.

3. Good luck getting a response to an email.

4. Good luck getting someone to read the email who understands your question.

5. Good luck getting an answer to your email question.

6. Good luck getting the same answer if you ask the question more than once for verification.

Rinse and repeat.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 8:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

1. Good luck getting through to a phone agent.

2. Good luck getting a phone agent to actually answer the question.

3. Good luck getting a response to an email.

4. Good luck getting someone to read the email who understands your question.

5. Good luck getting an answer to your email question.

6. Good luck getting the same answer if you ask the question more than once for verification.

Rinse and repeat.
Patience, my young padawan! The answers are forthcoming. The questions come in our time; the answers will come in Marriott’s time, presumably later in June and July, even August, with even some further adjustments even after that.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Yet another reason why it would be nice to have the new terms and conditions now. I presume Marriott will calculate the $20,000 the same way it has calculated who received the unpublished platinum premier, which pretty much everyone agrees was probably some combination of room nights and revenue. But that's just me presuming and Marriott being opaque.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 4:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Patience, my young padawan!
They've had, what, six weeks. That's plenty long enough.

Worse yet, you know damn well they have been working on this for probably six months.

I can't imagine someone woke up in early April and said, "Let's design the new program overnight." Although, the way it was launched makes it possible.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Yet another reason why it would be nice to have the new terms and conditions now. I presume Marriott will calculate the $20,000 the same way it has calculated who received the unpublished platinum premier, which pretty much everyone agrees was probably some combination of room nights and revenue. But that's just me presuming and Marriott being opaque.
Except now this will be a published level starting in August. The rules say that one qualifies for an Ambassador (from the MR rather than SPG side) beginning in August if and only if one has 100 nights and $20,000 qualified spend.

We know what 100 nights means according to MR program rules and we can see nights credit on our accounts.

However, we cannot see annual "qualified spend" nor has it ever been defined, even informally. Having a few observations of whether someone has qualified for PP in the past, under the old MR program rather than in the new combined program, doesn't really indicate anything about how qualified spend is defined. Now, if I had access to all information on all accounts of people with over 75 nights per year (since we don't know how many nights PP has required in previous years) and lots of time on my hands, I might be able to "reverse engineer" how spend has been defined in the past for PP qualification purposes, but I assume you're not suggesting that I should be able to see all that confidential data.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
We know what 100 nights means according to MR program rules and we can see nights credit on our accounts.

However, we cannot see annual "qualified spend" nor has it ever been defined, even informally.
Does seem a bit odd, right?

I'm assuming they'll define it as points earning activity as traditionally used by Marriott but the guy running the program is a Starwood guy and folks over on the other board claim they don't earn points for dining, bar, spa, etc. Not sure that's right though as I haven't pulled my SPG bills and compared them.

And back on the ambassador experiences, I don't think we've had many reports other than mine with Marriott Ambassadors and with the exception of one poster (and perhaps another), even SPG Ambassadors mainly seem to be handling things that we would otherwise be calling reservations for such as requesting upgrades, booking awards, etc.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:26 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

They've had, what, six weeks. That's plenty long enough.

Worse yet, you know damn well they have been working on this for probably six months.

I can't imagine someone woke up in early April and said, "Let's design the new program overnight." Although, the way it was launched makes it possible.
I hear ya, but the balls are all in Marriott's court now. There's really nothing we can do unless we wait for more information, or ask questions at the respective channels that their "informed reps" can provide actual answers.
Even then, like you mentioned, based on reading everyone's experiences, answers are never consistent even when coming from their internal sources.
They get to dictate the rules and terms, going into it, we all knew it was going to be a hot mess when Marriott decided to make this transition mid-year as compared to starting it in the next calendar year as announced previously.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:31 am
Suspended

Except now this will be a published level starting in August. The rules say that one qualifies for an Ambassador (from the MR rather than SPG side) beginning in August if and only if one has 100 nights and $20,000 qualified spend.

However, we cannot see annual "qualified spend" nor has it ever been defined, even informally. Having a few observations of whether someone has qualified for PP in the past, under the old MR program rather than in the new combined program, doesn't really indicate anything about how qualified spend is defined. Now, if I had access to all information on all accounts of people with over 75 nights per year (since we don't know how many nights PP has required in previous years) and lots of time on my hands, I might be able to "reverse engineer" how spend has been defined in the past for PP qualification purposes, but I assume you're not suggesting that I should be able to see all that confidential data.
If Marriott is logical and ethical, qualified spending would be any spending eligible for points.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
we all knew it was going to be a hot mess when Marriott decided to make this transition mid-year as compared to starting it in the next calendar year as announced previously.
I'm really disappointed that (at least to my knowledge) none of the travel writers and bloggers who covered the big announcement and had exclusives with Flueck ever asked Marriott the question everyone really wants to know: Why a mid-year launch as opposed to January 1, 2019.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 9:35 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Does seem a bit odd, right?
Not really. We know Marriott will announce more of the award category chart this month. We know Marriott will release more info to clarify program details this month, too. Presumably, the details on what constitutes spending and how it will be tracked will be shared sometime later this month.

Marriott is doing current Marriott elites quite a big favor here by starting the new program in August--else current Marriott elites would have no chance to attain Ambassador status at all for 2019. Marriott's decision to start in August is a huge boon for Marriott Platinums with the opportunity now to earn Ambassador status that otherwise would not have been at all available.

So I'd say Marriott elites may want to cut Marriott some slack. Impatience isn't a virtue, and some Marriott elites are clamorinng incessantly for details that are going to be released this month--still 2 months in advance of the start of the new program, and 5 months earlier than it otherwise might have been! It's a new loyalty program. It's a huge loyalty program. There are many details. There are many questions. There are many different options available. Marriott is doing pretty well so far, I'd say.

I'm assuming they'll define it as points earning activity as traditionally used by Marriott but the guy running the program is a Starwood guy and folks over on the other board claim they don't earn points for dining, bar, spa, etc. Not sure that's right though as I haven't pulled my SPG bills and compared them.
I earn SPG points on food/beverage now both with an SPG hotel stay and even when I don't stay at an SPG hotel. I earn SPG points on most hotel services except for stuff like spa (I don't do spa, so I could be mistaken--but I don't think so) and some concierge fees. But I also earn SPG points on most concierge booked tours that I charge to my room.

And back on the ambassador experiences, I don't think we've had many reports other than mine with Marriott Ambassadors and with the exception of one poster (and perhaps another), even SPG Ambassadors mainly seem to be handling things that we would otherwise be calling reservations for such as requesting upgrades, booking awards, etc.
It's important to recognize that current Marriott Rewards "Ambassadors" are merely trial runs attempting to mimic what SPG Ambassadors do. So any Marriott elites with "Ambassadors" sharing their experiences cannot be expected to have a proper perspective on what the new loyalty program Ambassadors are equipped to do.

It's quite interesting to me that so many of the same people who think it's overrated or worthless to have an Ambassador are also complaining or so curious about how to qualify to get one.
bluestrudels likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 10:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I'm really disappointed that (at least to my knowledge) none of the travel writers and bloggers who covered the big announcement and had exclusives with Flueck ever asked Marriott the question everyone really wants to know: Why a mid-year launch as opposed to January 1, 2019.
I think deep down, we all know that with the 3:1 ratio and AMEX/SPG spend bonuses, Gold SPG status match for Plats were too generous on Marriott's end just to entice new members to "enjoy" the benefits.
It has clearly tanked their revenue over the past year, pulling the plug earlier with "hidden devaluations" can save them million of dollars in a matter of a few months..
Especially with the year end period, which is the most lucrative quarter for the company.

It's disappointing that none of these travel bloggers brought this up in the spotlight, but putting yourself in their shoes.
If you have thousands of points stashed with Marriott, and the potential of making business with a giant like Marriott/Starwood. It is far less likely for one to poke the bear with such questions.
Even if one did, you'll get fluffed answers from their exe/reps.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I am currently an MR LTP and expect to be LTPP under the merged program (2900+ nights, 9+ million points) . I currently have 73 MR nights (including roll-over and credit card nights) and 8 SPG nights. If by the end of the year I have a combined total in excess of 100 and I spent $20K, will I have Ambassador status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.