Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
If not using SNAs, for all intents and purposes there is no difference in Plat vs. Plat 50. Plat is Plat. SPG treats Plats well. There is no caste system.
In contrast, at MR, there is a difference between PP and Plat. Some properties catch the distinction and some don't. Those that do tend to treat Plat Premiers well and I believe better than Plats. Once concern in the new program is that there will be many more Plat Premiers. FD agents are trained (well, at least some) to look at the first two characters on a certain line in the MARSHA (the Marriott FD system). X4 is in those first two characters and it is followed by some others such as K1 (King preferred). M0 - Ambassador -- is at the end and I believe that explains only one property in my past 100 stays has noticed it. Unless MR changes where it goes in the reservation on 8/1, I think those with ambassadros will be in the same pool as Plat Premiers and won't receive any better treatment unless they contact their ambassador. And I don't have time to contact my ambassador 100 times a year!
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
In contrast, at MR, there is a difference between PP and Plat.
There are some benefits for Ambassador guests over Plats...but much like Marriott it is very YMMV.

That wasn't what I was referencing though
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The 100 nights and $20K spend requirements manage to reward those who do both.
i didnt mean to imply that one should be able to earn AMB with JUST some magic CC spend #. Both requirements should remain however there should be a value assigned to each point deposited into a members rewards account from CC spend. Maybe each point is valued at 1 or 1.5 cents each and the "tracker" on the website will increase by $X with each months points deposit. Paying a tuition bill for $5000? You just earned $50 towards AMB on the marriott side once the points deposit posts from Chase to marriott. No matter how you slice it, Chase and AmEx are buying the points in bulk from marriott so there is revenue there. do you disagree? if so, why should buying a bottled water at the hotel count but not the purchase of all those points each month?

Obviously in addition to this, the night requirement stays the same and anyone staying 100+ nights per year is going to be well into the thousands in spending already. Should someone staying 125 nights (and say, $15k in hotel spending) and spending $1 million+ a year on a co-branded CC not have ambassador?
Old Jun 22, 2018, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
There is approximately a 0.0000000% chance that CC spend will count towards the $20K annual spend needed for AMB
I (and marriott) said the same thing about SPG lifetime plats getting Marriott LTPP but the DYKWIA's whined and look what happened. never say never.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:25 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by swintec
Should someone staying 125 nights (and say, $15k in hotel spending) and spending $1 million+ a year on a co-branded CC not have ambassador?
Sorry. No. That person shouldn’t have an Ambassador. Either SPEND $20K at Marriott hotels AND STAY 100+ nights at Marriott hotels...OR settle for being a Plat Premier. That’s the way the cookie crumbles. Just like Marriott assigned status before the merger without all the newly added SPG-matching perks.

Very simple. Very easy. Very straightforward.

Spend all you like on your credit card. That doesn’t equate to loyalty. I spent over $150K this year already on my SPG Business card—entirely at SPG hotels. Marriott sells the points to Chase and Amex regardless. You just want to avoid spending $20K at Marriott hotels. Just like the people clamoring for the current Marriott card’s spending $3K earns 1 elite night benefit to continue...but it isn’t.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:40 am

That’s the way the cookie crumbles.
Well, at this point it seems the cookies havent even been baked yet, we will find out how they crumble soon.

Regardless, actually using a co-branded card is big money for marriott and is yet another form of loyalty.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Bonvoy Titanium Elite Lifetime
As a Lifetime PP for quite a few years now I probably wont even look at the Ambassador level with interest. I have 81 night this year with spend probably around $10.5K point and if I hit it, I hit it. Most night when I check in I just want a comfortable clean room with access to the lounge for a snack and a bottle of water.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tuono07
As a Lifetime PP for quite a few years now I probably wont even look at the Ambassador level with interest. I have 81 night this year with spend probably around $10.5K point and if I hit it, I hit it. Most night when I check in I just want a comfortable clean room with access to the lounge for a snack and a bottle of water.
Sounds like you’ll be in great hands whether or not you have much status at all. I do believe even the new Marriott Gold status should more than satisfy your requirements. I think it’s fair to say that you’re not quite the coveted high value customer that Marriott has in mind with Ambassador service.

For those who spend and expect more, I think a bit more than a snack and a bottle of water is appropriate. For those who spend and expect a lot more, I think a lot more is appropriate.

For those of of us who stay often and spend considerably more, more is appropriate. For those of us who spend a lot more, and/or who often stay in luxury hotels with 5* service, Ambasssador service and recognition can closely approach that and often match and surpass that of even some of the world’s finest hotels. Marriott (and Starwood before it) otherwise might not have captured and subsequently retained our business and loyalty.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by tuono07
Sounds like you'll have 150+ nights this year with close to the $20k threshold so you might make it.

AFAIK, I am the only one posting on this thread who is a Plat Premier with a Marriott Ambassador. I remain curious regarding the Ambassador experiences for others who meet the premise of this thread.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 11:00 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
You may remember that I have been trying to get reliable information from Marriott regarding what spend counts for reaching the $20k threshold for Ambassador status. Thought some of you might enjoy the impressively uninformative responses I've had from the MR twitter. It appears that not only do they not know the answer to my question, they can't even figure out what I am asking. If I'm being unclear and you have a better way to phrase my question, your suggestions would be appreciated.
My initial query on twitter

Further attempts via DM

Old Jun 24, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
CUT and PASTE replies that dont awnser the question asked seems to be the new marriott may

I asked a question about how many elite years I had. I kept getting links to how one becomes elite 😟

Quite frustrating that they dont bother to even read emails or tweets...
Old Jun 24, 2018, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kauppias
CUT and PASTE replies that dont awnser the question asked seems to be the new marriott may

I asked a question about how many elite years I had. I kept getting links to how one becomes elite 😟

Quite frustrating that they dont bother to even read emails or tweets...
At least they eventually answer, which is better than what happens when you try to call them. <sarcasm>
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:03 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
While there, the F&B manager ran into my husband and dog without me, recognized them, introduced himself, and chatted with them for a bit. That doesn't happen without being a VIP or having Ambassador status.
One can only hope
Old Jun 24, 2018, 3:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm not so sure it's a good thing that a hotel's F&B manager recognizes your dog. For example, this could be the result of the dog's raiding the hotel kitchen, begging for food at receptions, getting drunk from lapping up unguarded drinks in the bar, licking (ick) room service trays left in the hall, etc. Bad dog!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm not so sure it's a good thing that a hotel's F&B manager recognizes your dog.
Or a good thing that the hotel would vary its policy. Some other guests, for example, might not want to share their experience at the hotel with even the best behaved large dog. And, of course, calling one's ambassador to ask for help bringing a large dog to a high end hotel is certain to get the attention of staff.
kennycrudup and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.