Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), SPG/Marriott (Platinum)
Credit card spend waiver?

Anyone have intel/guesses about whether there will be a waiver to the 20k spend requirement in the form of credit card spend (for example, 40k on the new premium $450 annual fee AMEX)?
Old May 30, 2018, 2:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Andrew DCA
Anyone have intel/guesses about whether there will be a waiver to the 20k spend requirement in the form of credit card spend (for example, 40k on the new premium $450 annual fee AMEX)?
I don't believe there is any information out there on the potential for a waiver.

However, the $20K spend (presumably before taxes) is actual spend in the hotel. My guess is that would be equivalent to $300,000 credit card spend in terms of "profit" for MR.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:15 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I'd guess that it's very unlikely that Marriott would tie the top part of their top tier to credit card spend, seeing as levels below aren't accessible via credit card status.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:43 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’d also guess there will be no waiver. None of the major airlines even allow a spending waiver for their top tier status via credit card, either.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’d also guess there will be no waiver. None of the major airlines even allow a spending waiver for their top tier status via credit card, either.
​​​​​​​Delta does; the waiver is $250,000 in CC spend.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Wrong. DL does, although they greatly increased it this year, from $25,000 to $250,000 for DM.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by getagb
​​​​Delta does; the waiver is $250,000 in CC spend.
My apologies. I forgot about that new waiver.

Of course, my guess is that if people are unable to spend $20K on Marriott hotels, they aren't likely to be able to spend $250K or so on a credit card. And if they can spend $250K on a credit card, they likely can easily afford $20K on Marriott hotels if Ambassador status were important to them.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: AA (EXP), SPG/Marriott (Platinum)
None of the major airlines even allow a spending waiver for their top tier status via credit card, either.
As noted above, this is incorrect. Not just for Delta. Also, for American status (at any level), 25k of CC spend gives you 3k EQD, and 50k CC spend gives you 6k EQD. Since you only need 6k EQD for Platinum and 12k EQD for Executive Platinum, the CC spend provides a significant boost for elite qualification (effectively a 50% waiver for top-tier EXP status).

I hope there is some type of waiver or counting towards the 20k spend. That would certainly encourage me to get/keep the cobranded CCs and spend significantly on them.
Old May 30, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
As noted above, this is incorrect. Not just for Delta. Also, for American status (at any level), 25k of CC spend gives you 3k EQD, and 50k CC spend gives you 6k EQD. Since you only need 6k EQD for Platinum and 12k EQD for Executive Platinum, the CC spend provides a significant boost for elite qualification (effectively a 50% waiver for top-tier EXP status).

I hope there is some type of waiver or counting towards the 20k spend. That would certainly encourage me to get/keep the cobranded CCs and spend significantly on them.

This would be very unfair to members outside the USA unless of course marriott waives spend requirment for foreign based members
Old May 30, 2018, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My apologies. I forgot about that new waiver.

Of course, my guess is that if people are unable to spend $20K on Marriott hotels, they aren't likely to be able to spend $250K or so on a credit card. And if they can spend $250K on a credit card, they likely can easily afford $20K on Marriott hotels if Ambassador status were important to them.
Manufactured spending.

In fact, one of the bloggers who specializes in DL and credit cards has bragged about how quickly he would be able to satisfy the new DM MQD waiver.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:42 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Well, it won't matter. Marriott likely won't allow any waiver to the $20K spend to achieve Ambassador status.
Old May 30, 2018, 5:59 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Otherwise, I'm perfectly comfortable carrying a backpack and taking the subway in a foreign city to the RC or a LC or a JW. I just want the front desk to give me the best room they have available and to have done some planning. [snip]
merican Airlines provides published benefits 99.9 percent of the time, legacy Marriott properties provide it 80 percent of the time, legacy SPG properties are 50/50 and often involve Front Desk staff who are following instructions in lieu of program rules, and Hertz only around 25 percent of the time because of poorly trained staff. And, I mainly dropped Hertz in favor or public transit and/or Uber because they don't follow program rules.
This is an almost-perfect summary of my own opinions .... if you had segued into a rant about Resort Fees I would have thought you were reading my mind!
C17PSGR and lexdevil like this.
Old May 30, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by catharsis
This is an almost-perfect summary of my own opinions .... if you had segued into a rant about Resort Fees I would have thought you were reading my mind!
Resort fees! For the life of me, I don't understand why they just don't roll everything into the rate. Charging extra for having a pool!

That being said, I've now hit around 75 actual nights so far in 2018. I've mostly given up on legacy SPG properties for now since I find the lying to the guest culture to be roughly equal to the upgrade the guest culture. I'm hoping that after August 1, they'll be able to distinguish between levels of plats (which it seems like they can't do now) and perhaps prioritize guests. Legacy Marriott properties continue to mostly provide published benefits. On the other hand, I'm not seeing increased awareness of different levels. As a general rule, if they recognize me as a Platinum Premier, I know I'll get a suite. If they recognize me as a Platinum, I know I usually won't. For example, all three properties (two Marriotts/1 Renn) this week have welcomed me as a Platinum and told me they are upgrading me to the top floor....No one, so far in 2018, has recognized that I am a M0 (Ambassador).

I know we have one SPG Ambassador level who reports excellent experiences that I might attribute to being a high value, high maintenance, guest. On the other hand, I'm a high value, low maintenance guest. If I call my ambassador (which I have done one time in 2018), I suspect she will help me out. If I email her (which I have done a couple of times in 2018), I'm confident she will help out. I get asking for help with family vacations or complex awards and presume I'd get that help if requested. With at least 200 actual stays since becoming an M0/Charter Ambassador, I've only had someone catch it on one occasion.

But ,,, other than that one poster (who is really talking about SPG, I don't know of anyone on the Marriott side who has reported an Ambassador doing anything proactively. That doesn't mean that I don't get notes or unexpected food/wine in my room from Marriott GM's ... but I don't know of any poster on her that reports a Marriott Ambassador doing anything that has not been requested.

So ... does anyone have any experience with a Marriott Ambassador doing something that has not been requested? Has anyone had a Marriott property recognize their Ambassador status?
Old May 31, 2018, 8:15 pm

Well, it won't matter. Marriott likely won't allow any waiver to the $20K spend to achieve Ambassador status.
I disagree. Chase / AmEx have to buy the points and nights from marriott (at whatever discount) to award to the card holders each month. This should absolutely be counted as revenue in Marriott's calculations. I could see it taking half a million or more in spend each year on the card alone though. Dont forget one would still need 100 nights so it be pretty tough if not impossible for card spenders to gain ambassador.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 6:55 pm

Programs: MR rewards
The new Platinum Premier Ambassador

Hi..
As we know we need 100 nights and 20k to got this status , I'm on my 50 nights today planning for the 100 this year, but how we can track the 20k ?

I think I'm good for 20k because most of the time we booked 2 or 3 rooms but any simple easy way to know how much i have been spent ?
I know i can calculate the invoices but this well take time just looking for easy way
Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.