Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I just don't think a significant number of people work that way. It's only on Flyertalk where people routinely declare "I'm now top tier with a programme which means I get treated better than anyone else. What possible incentive could I have to ever stay at their properties?".
Note that this is not what I am saying. I've certainly got an incentive to stick with Marriott whenever doing so allows me to experience the benefits of status. Those benefits are, however, not all that compelling at Fairfields/Springhills/Residence Inns/TownePlace Suites. Upgrades are minimal/rare, and everyone gets free internet and breakfast. My status tends to net me some extra points and a market item, nothing more.

This means that for nights beyond 75, if I'm going to be staying at a limited service property, other chains are now in play for me. All other things being equal, I'll choose Marriott due to my status, but when a competing chain has a nicer or more convenient property that is cost competitive, I will now consider it.

There is an irrational/emotional appeal to achieving top status. Currently, because PP does not have defined criteria, I ALWAYS choose Marriott. I cannot know how close I am to slipping from Platinum Premier to Platinum. It's not like PP translates into better treatment very often if at all, but I'll admit that I find earning it satisfying.

If Marriott only counts spend from 1-3 rooms and does not count spend from group contracts/events, there is a good chance that I will not meet the $20K spend threshold for Ambassador status. If the highest status is unattainable to me, I have less incentive to keep all of my stays at Marriott. It frees me to play the field for some of my stays.

I am not saying, "I hit the goal, so now I'll stay elsewhere and abandon the perks of the status I have earned." I am saying that if $20K spend is out of reach (despite my spending $40K or more with Marriott each year), I will have less incentive to stay with Marriott in certain circumstances. I'm also saying that those occasions could add up to a significant number of room nights, given the number of rooms I tend to book.

Given that the purpose of frequent guest programs is to drive spend, I think that Marriott will be making a mistake if they do not figure out a way to credit spend on more than 3 rooms and group/event contracts.

If only a small number of us work this way, and accounting for more than three rooms is a challenge, Marriott should consider an informal/exception/invitation option for achieving Ambassador status, in addition to the defined nights + spend option. If I were told that I did not meet the formal criteria for Ambassador (due to how spend is calculated), but that I was granted Ambassador status in recognition of my value to Marriott, I would be back to always staying with Marriott because I could not know if staying elsewhere would drop me below some unspoken threshold and demote me to PLAT 75.

I have a question for you. Given that you are SPG Plat100, why do you bother with Hilton Gold? Are there occasions when you choose Hilton over SPG, despite your high status with SPG? If it's because you can't rise any higher with SPG, and Hilton sometimes has properties that fit your needs better, that's exactly the type of situation I am describing.

Last edited by lexdevil; May 17, 2018 at 6:54 am
Old May 17, 2018, 7:09 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I think Marriott would say good luck. Or good riddance.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I think Marriott would say good luck. Or good riddance.
Certainly their prerogative. Given that I keep qualifying for Platinum Premier, I don't think that that's how they feel, but whatever...

Not sure what in my statement triggered this. I'm not threatening to leave in a huff. Not even if they don't adopt an informal invitation to Ambassador status. I'm simply trying to explain why only counting spend from 1-3 rooms may decrease my Marriott stays. I'll still do a lot of Marriott business, I'll just feel free to experiment a bit. Given the extremely limited benefit of PP over Platinum, this probably isn't even a bad thing for me.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by lexdevil

If Marriott only counts spend from 1-3 rooms and does not count spend from group contracts/events, there is a good chance that I will not meet the $20K spend threshold for Ambassador status. If the highest status is unattainable to me, I have less incentive to keep all of my stays at Marriott. It frees me to play the field for some of my stays.

I am not saying, "I hit the goal, so now I'll stay elsewhere and abandon the perks of the status I have earned." I am saying that if $20K spend is out of reach (despite my spending $40K or more with Marriott each year), I will have less incentive to stay with Marriott in certain circumstances. I'm also saying that those occasions could add up to a significant number of room nights, given the number of rooms I tend to book.

Given that the purpose of frequent guest programs is to drive spend, I think that Marriott will be making a mistake if they do not figure out a way to credit spend on more than 3 rooms and group/event contracts.

If only a small number of us work this way, and accounting for more than three rooms is a challenge, Marriott should consider an informal/exception/invitation option for achieving Ambassador status, in addition to the defined nights + spend option. If I were told that I did not meet the formal criteria for Ambassador (due to how spend is calculated), but that I was granted Ambassador status in recognition of my value to Marriott, I would be back to always staying with Marriott because I could not know if staying elsewhere would drop me below some unspoken threshold and demote me to PLAT 75.

I have a question for you. Given that you are SPG Plat100, why do you bother with Hilton Gold? Are there occasions when you choose Hilton over SPG, despite your high status with SPG? If it's because you can't rise any higher with SPG, and Hilton sometimes has properties that fit your needs better, that's exactly the type of situation I am describing.
I guess Marriott have their reason not to include more than 3 rooms for spend calculations.
As for loyalty programs driving spends, Marriott should have pure spend based qualification. And yet for some reason they dont.

For me, I usually book 2 rooms for every stays. So losing SPGs feature of earning up to 3 rooms stays/night credit will drop me to plt 50 nights or plt pp 75 at best even though my spending will exceed 20k by quite some margin (around 24-26k /year)

Old May 17, 2018, 8:30 am

Few benefitted more than me with the SPG policy of gaining up to 3 elite night credits—which is how I now have 119 nights for the year already! Of course, losing the 3 elite night credits policy and gaining the 10 elite night credits policy means I do even better—and it rewards me even more for putting my larger groups at Marriott hotels, even more than the SPG policy did.
A useful Marriott tip. If you just book and pay for your event/group directly with sales, you'll get your 10 nights + 3 points per dollar spent. If, however, you have your salesperson set up the block with a group code or booking link (so others can book into the block), you will get your 10 nights + 3 points per dollar spent on the contract AND the nights + points for up to three rooms that you personally book and pay for within your block.

So your assessment that the new policy somehow hurts Marriott might be true for YOU in your personal circumstance—but is quite doubtful for the bigger picture that actually concerns Marriott. People who book large groups of 10+ rooms do better with Marriott’s policy than they did with SPG’s policy...and those larger bookings account for vastly more business than the 2 extra rooms individuals may book.
We only do better on elite qualifying nights, which I don't need more of. If the highest level of status now has a spend requirement, and they don't count our event/group spend toward Ambassador status, we are potentially worse off when it comes to qualifying for that status.
Old May 17, 2018, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7

For me, I usually book 2 rooms for every stays. So losing SPGs feature of earning up to 3 rooms stays/night credit will drop me to plt 50 nights or plt pp 75 at best even though my spending will exceed 20k by quite some margin (around 24-26k /year)
Even if you can no longer get the old Chase Marriott card (that gives an elite qualifying night for every $3K in spend), you should still probably get a card for the 15 elite qualifying nights annually. It sounds like you are close enough that it could make a difference.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:45 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by lexdevil
I actually get Hilton Gold for free with my AMEX, but I have stayed enough at Hiltons this year that I'll hit Diamond in a week or two.

Hilton is my 2nd preference brand (assuming Starriott as a whole is first), which for me means the following:
  • If there are no suitable Starriott hotels nearby and there is a good Hilton, I'll usually do that
  • If there is an exceptional Hilton and only good/ mediocre Starriott hotel I'd rather stay at the Hilton (this almost never happens with Hilton, but I used to have Hyatt as my #2 where Park Hyatts can be amazing)
  • If there is a truly exceptional hotel in the area which is neither Starriott nor Hilton I play off price/ hotel quality/ uniqueness of the property and make a call - e.g. tomorrow I'm staying at the Gray in Beirut from LHW simply because it looks the best choice but in Budapest last weekend I stayed at the Ritz Carlton knowing it was probably worse than the Four Seasons (but also probably cheaper and frankly pretty damned good in any case)
  • I'm willing to pay a certain premium to be with Starwood on a like for like basis for "loyalty" (e.g. I like the points, I like the Ambassador service), but sometimes Hilton is simply more keenly priced. For example, I prefer the Sheraton Park Lane to the Hilton Park Lane even ignoring programme affiliation, but if the Hilton is $200 USD a night is cheaper, I am going to go there. It's luckily relatively rare that I'm in a situation where Starwood, Marriott and Hilton properties are all over-priced, leaving me in some non-chain or Accor type place.
  • So far I've almost never stayed at Marriotts - partly because I dislike the chain's aesthetic values across most brands and partly because I've not explored them all yet
I am pretty attached to my loyalty and will go out of my way for points, but the above sounds to me like how most people really should be thinking about this thing. I took the same approach a couple of years ago when I was SPG50 and so could have "risen" to SPG75 if I decided to make what I might call stupid sacrifices to get there.
lexdevil likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
  • If there are no suitable Starriott hotels nearby and there is a good Hilton, I'll usually do that
  • If there is an exceptional Hilton and only good/ mediocre Starriott hotel I'd rather stay at the Hilton (this almost never happens with Hilton, but I used to have Hyatt as my #2 where Park Hyatts can be amazing)
  • If there is a truly exceptional hotel in the area which is neither Starriott nor Hilton I play off price/ hotel quality/ uniqueness of the property and make a call - e.g. tomorrow I'm staying at the Gray in Beirut from LHW simply because it looks the best choice but in Budapest last weekend I stayed at the Ritz Carlton knowing it was probably worse than the Four Seasons (but also probably cheaper and frankly pretty damned good in any case)
  • I'm willing to pay a certain premium to be with Starwood on a like for like basis for "loyalty" (e.g. I like the points, I like the Ambassador service), but sometimes Hilton is simply more keenly priced. For example, I prefer the Sheraton Park Lane to the Hilton Park Lane even ignoring programme affiliation, but if the Hilton is $200 USD a night is cheaper, I am going to go there. It's luckily relatively rare that I'm in a situation where Starwood, Marriott and Hilton properties are all over-priced, leaving me in some non-chain or Accor type place.
I am pretty attached to my loyalty and will go out of my way for points, but the above sounds to me like how most people really should be thinking about this thing. I took the same approach a couple of years ago when I was SPG50 and so could have "risen" to SPG75 if I decided to make what I might call stupid sacrifices to get there.
What you describe is very similar to my thinking, only you are a touch less loyal than I am (if I could have reached SPG Plat75 rather than 50, I would most likely not have sacrificed that opportunity, at least not unless the benefits of staying outside of SPG were extremely compelling). In a world in which the bulk of my spend will not count towards Ambassador status, I'll probably be a bit less loyal and make decisions more like yours. I'm not angry. It is, as I've said, freeing. I'll probably discover some hotels that I like better than a few of my current mainstays. And I'll still spend most of my nights in Marriott properties.

I'm simply saying that Marriott would get more nights from me if all of my spend counted towards Ambassador status.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
All these recent posts highlight why these should be multiple threads .... a great post on maximizing benefits from an event, discussion about the value of getting another 25 nights, etc. Not sure why they were combined because they are very different issues, even though they have something to do with ambassador status.

Back on the thread of ambassador experiences, on my fourth stay of the week ....

1. Thanks for being platinum at Marriott, we've upgraded you to the Concierge Floor
2. Thanks for being a platinum at Marriott, we've upgraded you to an oceanfront suite.
3. A call to my ambassador to get a friends name added to a reservation, the all suite property upgraded to a larger suite
4. A stay at a W where I was given a wonderful parking lot view room and thanked for my loyalty.

Except for the call, all of these decisions were made at the property. The ambassador certainly saved me from being on hold for a few minutes since the screen brought up my name and reservation automatically. I don't believe the ambassador made calls to any of the properties, the Marriott properties gave or exceeded published benefits but didn't notice I was a Plat Premier, the SPG property did not (and I didn't feel like arguing). We'll see how tonight's Courtyard handles it

So, while I'll be at 150 nights this year and over $20,000 in spend, I'm skeptical that I will get anything more than what I am currently receiving from am Ambassador and other than help booking family vacations (which seems like a great value for some), I'm still not hearing anything of significant value from having an Ambassador.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
All these recent posts highlight why these should be multiple threads .... a great post on maximizing benefits from an event, discussion about the value of getting another 25 nights, etc. Not sure why they were combined because they are very different issues, even though they have something to do with ambassador status.
I agree. It would be great if some of these posts could be moved back to the thread I started on whether event/group spend should count towards Ambassador status. I know my comments on rooms 4-9 are not entirely relevant, but they would be better there. I have no idea why that thread was added to this one.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Back on the thread of ambassador experiences, on my fourth stay of the week ....

1. Thanks for being platinum at Marriott, we've upgraded you to the Concierge Floor
2. Thanks for being a platinum at Marriott, we've upgraded you to an oceanfront suite.
3. A call to my ambassador to get a friends name added to a reservation, the all suite property upgraded to a larger suite
4. A stay at a W where I was given a wonderful parking lot view room and thanked for my loyalty.

Except for the call, all of these decisions were made at the property. The ambassador certainly saved me from being on hold for a few minutes since the screen brought up my name and reservation automatically. I don't believe the ambassador made calls to any of the properties, the Marriott properties gave or exceeded published benefits but didn't notice I was a Plat Premier, the SPG property did not (and I didn't feel like arguing). We'll see how tonight's Courtyard handles it

So, while I'll be at 150 nights this year and over $20,000 in spend, I'm skeptical that I will get anything more than what I am currently receiving from am Ambassador and other than help booking family vacations (which seems like a great value for some), I'm still not hearing anything of significant value from having an Ambassador.
Assuming that you don't have earned status with Starwood and your only SPG status is due to matching your MR PP/Amb status, the W would see you as a PlatMinus. You'd be pretty low on their food chain for an upgrade, but of course it would depend on the particular hotel, how full the hotel was, how much turnover they had, and the time of day you arrived. Realistically you should have "expected" an upgrade of a category or two to a better room (but not a suite) or one of the best rooms in the base category which I assume is what was booked.
Old May 17, 2018, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Assuming that you don't have earned status with Starwood and your only SPG status is due to matching your MR PP/Amb status, the W would see you as a PlatMinus. You'd be pretty low on their food chain for an upgrade, but of course it would depend on the particular hotel, how full the hotel was, how much turnover they had, and the time of day you arrived. Realistically you should have "expected" an upgrade of a category or two to a better room (but not a suite) or one of the best rooms in the base category which I assume is what was booked.
Well ... I agree that SPG doesn't see my Plat Premier/Ambassador status,

On the Marriott side, they see codes for Plat Premier (X4) and Ambassador (M0) but none of our SPG colleagues seem to know whether the FD can distinguish between the Plat/P75/P100 on the SPG side.

And, I was realistic on my expectations since I've stayed at this SPG property before (I'm a glutton for punishment but its close to where I need to be) . Of course, all our friends on the SPG side keep talking about how Plats almost always get upgraded to suites ...
Old May 17, 2018, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And, I was realistic on my expectations since I've stayed at this SPG property before (I'm a glutton for punishment but its close to where I need to be) . Of course, all our friends on the SPG side keep talking about how Plats almost always get upgraded to suites ...
Which W? I enjoyed a nice 2 room suite at the W ATL Midtown a week ago and another 2 room suite at the W ATL Buckhead the week before that. Quite typical IME. Heavily discounted corporate rates.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Which W? I enjoyed a nice 2 room suite at the W ATL Midtown a week ago and another 2 room suite at the W ATL Buckhead the week before that. Quite typical IME. Heavily discounted corporate rates.
You're SPG Plat 100 with Ambassador. The person to whom you're responding has a Marriott Ambassador but only a status match to SPG PlatMinus, which is what the W hotel would see. There should be very different expectations. Also, we don't know which W this was or when (or how long was the reservation), only that it has a parking lot (so it wouldn't be NYC, Paris, London, Minneapolis at the Foshay, Hong Kong, etc.).
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're SPG Plat 100 with Ambassador. The person to whom you're responding has a Marriott Ambassador but only a status match to SPG PlatMinus, which is what the W hotel would see.
PlatMinus only exists in your own mind. I might get some nice snacks in room once in a while (though not on either of these two trips). Got my standard "thanks for being a Plat" welcome (never "Ambassador Guest" BTW). But to these hotels I was a regular Plat. As are Plats, Plat 50s, Plat 75s. Enough with the misinformation already.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.