Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2020, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they still have the Steak restaurant on site? Was a pretty good deal when they were having an opening promotion, I'd imagine they need to promote heavily now as well.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 4:43 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Do they still have the Steak restaurant on site? Was a pretty good deal when they were having an opening promotion, I'd imagine they need to promote heavily now as well.
I've booked a stay in 10 days and asked them which restaurants were open, they confirmed that the Prohibition Grill is open (the Chinese restaurant appears closed, the standard Marina buffet restaurant was also on the list), so I've tried to make a booking... no special offers given yet, but this hotel has never been very good at proactive up-sell emails in advance (in comparison to others in HK). I presume I will get 20% off at least via the Elite discount.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by ftrichard
You picked a great weekend for a staycation in HK. It's been pouring with rain most of it. We were going to Sai Kung on Saturday or Sunday but have cancelled plans and will hibernate instead.

We've done two staycations at the OP over the weekend recently. Rate is good at just over HK$1000 a night all in. First weekend (9 May), they reopened the pool and gym. Second weekend they reopened the M Club (first weekend the Club benefit was provided on the ground floor near the reception so you didn't miss out on anything). Breakfast is held in two shifts in the buffet.

It's a very popular hotel for a weekend staycation with families with young children because of the pool and so despite the situation it feels busy and the pool area is like a creche during the day. This also impacts the Club experience while the food is out from 17.30-19.30 (alcohol until 21.30) so bear that in mind and get there early if you want to get a table in the corner away from other people's wandering kiddies.

I like this hotel for a staycation with its easy access to Stanley for Sunday Brunch. Probably the best value at this rate in HK for elites with Club access.
Just saw your post. I don't think I posted my feedback from my stay back in January of this year. I paid about HK$800 each night for 3 nights. Fantastic property. The pool was closed at the time that I was there due to COVID-19 as was Ocean Park. The lounge was very nice. At check-in my temperature was taken and all of the employees wore masks. Given that this hotel is relatively new, everything just looked nice. The attention to detail was fantastic. I didn't used the gym as I didn't bring approprite attire for it, but my understanding at the time that it was opened. For breakfast, the lounge was closed at the time so I had it what I believe is the restaurant. It was buffet style, but the options that were available was unbelievable. Maybe even as good as CY Shatin. It's also next to the MTR station. If anyone can get this for HK$1000, it's an absolute deal. Totally recommended!
ftrichard likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, JAL Sapphire
Have they solved the issue of sewage smell from the bathroom/toilet??
Old Jun 15, 2020, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Chihster
I didn't experience anything like that at this property.
Isochronous and ftrichard like this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 1:55 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by lsquare
Go back to the last page. Several of us have reported this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
I've tried the ribs a few times -- for some reason, they make an appearance almost every night (many hotel lounges are on a 5 night rotation or something, but at Marriott OP, it seems to be whatever they have laying around, which often is ribs). They're sometimes ok, sometimes inedible.

Marriott isn't one of the brands where Plat+ can choose full restaurant breakfast as amenity in lieu of the 1000 points (that's only legacy SPG), so you have to take what the hotel gives you. Which in the case of Marriott OP is restaurant breakfast Mon-Thu, lounge breakfast Fri-Sun. I'm guessing this arrangement has to do with low occupancy, and I imagine that when/if occupancy returns to normal, they will likely serve breakfast at the lounge every day.

I don't stay at the Renaissance very often, because I don't like it. I would say that its rates have dropped less than other hotels, making it less of a deal IMO. FWIW, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few times in December, at a rate of HKD 1360 per night, and I think that hotel is several notches above the Renaissance.
I don't think I've ever seen the GHHK that low before. Wow...
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
Go back to the last page. Several of us have reported this.
I looked at the last comment about the smell and that individual was there about 2 weeks before I arrived. I didn't noticed any odd odor when I was there. I would definitely go back if the rate is under HK$1000.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
I looked at the last comment about the smell and that individual was there about 2 weeks before I arrived. I didn't noticed any odd odor when I was there. I would definitely go back if the rate is under HK$1000.
I have stayed there twice since May and there was no sewage smell. Both times at rates <HK$1000 (before service). I also don't recall a sewage smell the other two times I stayed there (once just after it opened and once a year and a half ago). If there was/is an endemic problem with the drains then it wasn't in every room.
Old Jun 17, 2020, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed there twice since May and there was no sewage smell. Both times at rates <HK$1000 (before service). I also don't recall a sewage smell the other two times I stayed there (once just after it opened and once a year and a half ago). If there was/is an endemic problem with the drains then it wasn't in every room.
I'm sure if you had smelled it, you would have remembered it. I don't know of anyone that can forget something like that so quickly!
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Stayed here in June 2020, just as Ocean Park itself has opened for business. Had a two night weekend stay, really focused on a day in the park and dinner in Prohibition (steak restaurant). The hotel was packed with families enjoying the pool, now reopened and available till 9pm at night, at least on Saturday. I won't comment too much as previous reviews have covered the hotel well, to note a few things staying as a Platinum member:
  • 15% discount at the restaurant was automatically applied. Steak was good quality and well presented.
  • "Upgraded" to the Club wing, but with a standard room
  • Very good for families, as you'd expect. Plenty around, the pool was full all day it appeared with people enjoying the weather and relaxing
  • No sewage smells and bottles of water in the room (4x small ones)
Club lounge was very busy and the quality of offerings was lower than previous stays in the morning (mainly due to slow replenishment). It felt like they've put in a few more tables to try and avoid crowding, but wasn't the most fun. Next time it would be worth booking a rate with the normal breakfast for more choice, or getting there at 7am rather than 9am .

Overall, the hotel remains a good value choice and if I had kids I think it is a good family staycation with rooms hovering around 1000 HKD/night. Shame that the elite recognition isn't as strong as the other hotels within Hong Kong in COVID-19 times, but probably more related to the hotel being near-full.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by Chihster
Checked out yesterday, was also upgraded to Club Wing standard room, enjoyed the oversized tub.
First room with mountain view had sewage flooding the room, moved across to the opposite side facing the Pool and smell was less evident after shutting the cubicle door.

Prohibition Grill is currently closed on Mondays. M Club moved to Pier Lounge next to the lobby, with breakfast served at Marina Kitchen.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by miloworld
Checked out yesterday, was also upgraded to Club Wing standard room, enjoyed the oversized tub.
First room with mountain view had sewage flooding the room, moved across to the opposite side facing the Pool and smell was less evident after shutting the cubicle door.

Prohibition Grill is currently closed on Mondays. M Club moved to Pier Lounge next to the lobby, with breakfast served at Marina Kitchen.
Thanks for the review.
May I know whether it is still very crowded? Knowing that the whole hotel was packed with people during May and June, I gave up the reservations at the end. More, heard that the hotel has changed to resort already, and front desk said P and T members no longer able to have late checkout at 4pm. How’s the situation now? Still need to check out at 11am?
Old Aug 26, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by missfh
Thanks for the review.
May I know whether it is still very crowded? Knowing that the whole hotel was packed with people during May and June, I gave up the reservations at the end. More, heard that the hotel has changed to resort already, and front desk said P and T members no longer able to have late checkout at 4pm. How’s the situation now? Still need to check out at 11am?
What, really? They're calling this a resort to deny us a late check out?

Look, I appreciate that currently there are many HK families booking here at the weekend for staycations and entrance to Ocean Park itself isn't a given but to designate this a resort is a bit much. Maximum, this gets around a problem of people checking in Friday and leaving Saturday at 4pm. Better, IMO, to mandate that you must stay two nights if you check in Friday and want late checkout rather than inflict a fictitious resort designation on everyone staying every night.
Old Aug 26, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
May I know whether it is still very crowded?
Crowd level subsided after pool closure under Gov guidelines. Hotel grounds were empty every time I went down but was told to observe crowd timetable for breakfast if staying on the weekend.

heard that the hotel has changed to resort already, and front desk said P and T members no longer able to have late checkout at 4pm. How’s the situation now? Still need to check out at 11am?
What, really? They're calling this a resort to deny us a late check out?
You heard right. Hotel is now officially a 'resort' and elite check-out times are not guaranteed but was given to me this time since occupancy was very low.

entrance to Ocean Park itself isn't a given
Especially when the park itself is closed!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.