Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Central90210
Breakfast benefit after Dec 1 is points or full breakfast at Marina Kitchen.
What is the policy now?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
The Renaissance Beijing Capital hotel in Beijing allowed Me to access their lounge as a Platinum.

I don't know if I was profitable to this hotel or not, but I took advantage of all of the perks that I was entitled to. I definitely stuff myself at breakfast before going back to my room.
that property is not a resort so I don’t foresee access being taken away.

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Sure, but most of them don't have lounges in the first place? I'm not familiar with the NA market at all so it could be commplace for resorts of these brands to have lounges *and* exclude elites (as we know and accept at RC properties). But I cannot think of another hotel of these brands, resort or not,in Asia or Europe that has a lounge (especially an unexceptional one) that has this policy. Happy to be educated by more widely-travelled FTers than me on this point so I can also avoid them in future.

Actually, I can thing of one: The Renaissance at St. Pancras in London apparently excludes Platinums and only accepts Titaniums in its lounge. I seem to remember that this is the case there though I haven't been to test it out personally (and being Titanium I would of course luxuriate in the feeling of superiority over the wretched Platinums in this scenario).

Point is, this is a rare and exceptional act for a pretty standard Marriott brand hotel in a mainstream location with lots of competition. I conclude that the elite staycation crowd this year have taken full advantage of the ~HK$1000 rates and eaten and drunk themselves to oblivion in the lounge thereby making elites unprofitable customers. Certainly, if this is the reasoning behind this move, I have contributed to it.
Some that come to mind... JW Cancun has a special club, JW Cabos has one too.

Sheraton Hong Kong and Sheraton Saigon has a special club... (although they have a separate club designated for elite members)

Renaissance St Pancras has a special club but allows only titaniums/ambassadors.

I've never heard of resort designated properties before. Are you saying all Renaissance properties participate in it?
basically any of the mentioned brands (from legacy Marriott) that is classified as a resort. So places that don’t have to honor late checkouts either.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:35 pm

What is the policy now?
Same, but you do get access to M Club with breakfast so you can technically keep the points and have free breakfast
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:14 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Disappointed to report that they were very stingy with late check-out and wouldn't extend me beyond 1.30pm.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Disappointed to report that they were very stingy with late check-out and wouldn't extend me beyond 1.30pm.
What was occupancy like? Looks like I’ll be done with this property if check-out time is this early! I was really hoping to come back post-COVID!
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I switched to CY HK just before the cancellation deadline and I phoned the hotel to tell them why (no lounge access). At the moment the breakfast at CY HK is a set menu in the main restaurant (nothing special but sufficient) and the lounge is open for soft drinks during day then for evening cocktails you go to the main restaurant to fill up boxes with food to take to your room. The package I had was 999hkd all in with dinner for 2 (starting with a seafood platter). Amazing value compared with Ocean Park Marriott, which was slightly cheaper with breakfast only.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I switched to CY HK just before the cancellation deadline and I phoned the hotel to tell them why (no lounge access). SNIP
Well done for telling them directly. They will have the data to show the impact of their new policies on the number of elite guests. I cannot believe that any elite would bother with this hotel now given the benefits at the many alternatives in HK as you have highlighted at the CY.

I guess it really comes down to whether non-Bonvoy guests are filling the rooms so they do not need elites. In normal times, I'd guess that Ocean Park visitors from the mainland would have filled this hotel. But these days, no tourists, few mainlanders, in any case Ocean Park largely closed. Difficult to see the logic behind it unless the owners are seeking to deflag anyway and this is just part of a passive aggressive series of steps on their part to create an unsustainable situation for Marriott.
littlevoices and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 6, 2021, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
Well done for telling them directly. They will have the data to show the impact of their new policies on the number of elite guests. I cannot believe that any elite would bother with this hotel now given the benefits at the many alternatives in HK as you have highlighted at the CY.

I guess it really comes down to whether non-Bonvoy guests are filling the rooms so they do not need elites. In normal times, I'd guess that Ocean Park visitors from the mainland would have filled this hotel. But these days, no tourists, few mainlanders, in any case Ocean Park largely closed. Difficult to see the logic behind it unless the owners are seeking to deflag anyway and this is just part of a passive aggressive series of steps on their part to create an unsustainable situation for Marriott.
I think Marriott is also creating an unsustainable situation for themselves by 1) allowing resort properties to skimp on elite benefits (lounge, late check out, et al.) and 2) allowing OPM to be designated as a "resort". With basically an endless list of Marriott properties in HK honoring elite benefits, there is very little reason anymore to stay here if you are Plat or above.
lsquare and ftrichard like this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
I switched to CY HK just before the cancellation deadline and I phoned the hotel to tell them why (no lounge access). At the moment the breakfast at CY HK is a set menu in the main restaurant (nothing special but sufficient) and the lounge is open for soft drinks during day then for evening cocktails you go to the main restaurant to fill up boxes with food to take to your room. The package I had was 999hkd all in with dinner for 2 (starting with a seafood platter). Amazing value compared with Ocean Park Marriott, which was slightly cheaper with breakfast only.
Is that CY in Shatin or the one in Saiyingpun?

What was occupancy like? Looks like I’ll be done with this property if check-out time is this early! I was really hoping to come back post-COVID!
Didn't seem that busy - plenty of rooms still available for booking online at what looked to be pretty low rates.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 1:39 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I think Marriott is also creating an unsustainable situation for themselves by 1) allowing resort properties to skimp on elite benefits (lounge, late check out, et al.) and 2) allowing OPM to be designated as a "resort". With basically an endless list of Marriott properties in HK honoring elite benefits, there is very little reason anymore to stay here if you are Plat or above.

Awful they wouldn't give you late checkout past 1:30. Even in good times, I hate it when resorts do this. But it is not cool when hotels are struggling for visitors.

Not to push the Hyatt bandwagon too much, but I stayed st a resort over Christmas and they gave me 6pm checkout - that's afyer they upgraded me to a specialty suite
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Isochronous
Is that CY in Shatin or the one in Saiyingpun?

Didn't seem that busy - plenty of rooms still available for booking online at what looked to be pretty low rates.
Hk as in HK side, Sai Ying Pun.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I love the fact that the MTR is right next to the hotel. Plus the price was just right. It's unfortunate things changed so much in the past 9 months. With the changes that were made, I can't see myself staying here anymore. CY HK is great with the views, but it's a little bit of a walk to the subway station. CY Shatin is ever slightly closer to the station, but it's really far from central Hong Kong. In terms of value, I'll give it to CY Shatin. The breakfast there was insane. I've never seen so much choices in my life.
Isochronous likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hk as in HK side, Sai Ying Pun.
Just want to add that there's an awesome claypot rice restaurant near CY HK. That's one reason for me to book CY HK sometimes. I like going there for dinner. Too bad they only accept cash!
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:17 am

I love the fact that the MTR is right next to the hotel. Plus the price was just right. It's unfortunate things changed so much in the past 9 months. With the changes that were made, I can't see myself staying here anymore. CY HK is great with the views, but it's a little bit of a walk to the subway station. CY Shatin is ever slightly closer to the station, but it's really far from central Hong Kong. In terms of value, I'll give it to CY Shatin. The breakfast there was insane. I've never seen so much choices in my life.
For CY HK It’s easy to take a bus to Central or in the current situation with the gym closed I walked along the harbour to Central and back. A pleasant walk and lots to see (outside boxing classes, Tai Chi etc). Just turn right outside and cross the highway then you’ll find the harbour front.

As for Ocean Park they had really good packages with tickets to Ocean Park and dining credit included (when it was open) so that would probably be the main reason to stay there (obviously). I did have that drain issue on my only stay there when in a club room but they had good service recovery. But with no lounge access and the other choices in HK, I doubt I’ll go back.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For CY HK It’s easy to take a bus to Central or in the current situation with the gym closed I walked along the harbour to Central and back. A pleasant walk and lots to see (outside boxing classes, Tai Chi etc). Just turn right outside and cross the highway then you’ll find the harbour front.

As for Ocean Park they had really good packages with tickets to Ocean Park and dining credit included (when it was open) so that would probably be the main reason to stay there (obviously). I did have that drain issue on my only stay there when in a club room but they had good service recovery. But with no lounge access and the other choices in HK, I doubt I’ll go back.
How long was the walk to Central? I don't think it was that close right?

I didn't even go to Ocean Park. The rate was good and the fact that it was right next to the MTR convinced me to give it a try. I usually take the last MTR back to the hotel. It's also not that far from Central and TST by train.

Everything that I had said pertained to pre-COVID. I'm not interested in discussing how things are like now since I can't go back to HK at the moment. By the time I get back, things should be close to normal.
Isochronous likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.