Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
What, really? They're calling this a resort to deny us a late check out?

Look, I appreciate that currently there are many HK families booking here at the weekend for staycations and entrance to Ocean Park itself isn't a given but to designate this a resort is a bit much. Maximum, this gets around a problem of people checking in Friday and leaving Saturday at 4pm. Better, IMO, to mandate that you must stay two nights if you check in Friday and want late checkout rather than inflict a fictitious resort designation on everyone staying every night.
I kinda understand why they chose to change to resort. In Apr till early July, before the outbreak again, there are only a few or even none confirmed cases, while kids didn’t need to back to school. Therefore, lots of families chose to have staycation in local hotels. Ocean Park Marriott, with highly-rated buffets as well as three swimming pools, became a hot place among HKers here. Not even in weekends, it was packed in weekdays too. It attracted numerous non-member families. While we members have checkout at 4pm, those non-member guests arrived at 3pm and found out no rooms were available, for sure they would complain and then front desk faced huge pressure to settle the cases. But if turning to resort, we have to checkout before noon, and they still have three hours to do cleaning and provide rooms to new guests. Problem settled.

Of course, it is a pity to see such a nice hotel turning to resort. Therefore, I have not been to there for a few months already. Mainly because I cannot accept to have checkout at 11am. The hotel has the rights to change to resort, while I have my freedom to choose the hotel I wanna stay to relax. There are a lot more hotels I have never stayed, and I will give them a try!
Old Aug 26, 2020, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by miloworld

You heard right. Hotel is now officially a 'resort' and elite check-out times are not guaranteed but was given to me this time since occupancy was very low.
Nice to know they are willing to provide late checkout during low occupancy days. MaybI know how’s the quality of hh in the new ‘lounge’?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
What, really? They're calling this a resort to deny us a late check out?

Look, I appreciate that currently there are many HK families booking here at the weekend for staycations and entrance to Ocean Park itself isn't a given but to designate this a resort is a bit much. Maximum, this gets around a problem of people checking in Friday and leaving Saturday at 4pm. Better, IMO, to mandate that you must stay two nights if you check in Friday and want late checkout rather than inflict a fictitious resort designation on everyone staying every night.
Originally Posted by miloworld
Crowd level subsided after pool closure under Gov guidelines. Hotel grounds were empty every time I went down but was told to observe crowd timetable for breakfast if staying on the weekend.

You heard right. Hotel is now officially a 'resort' and elite check-out times are not guaranteed but was given to me this time since occupancy was very low.

Especially when the park itself is closed!
Was this a unilateral decision? So disappointing to hear that this is now a “resort”. Can Marriott do anything about this?
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by lsquare
Was this a unilateral decision? So disappointing to hear that this is now a “resort”. Can Marriott do anything about this?
The Marriott website reflects the move (it is hidden quite well), in the top left on the Marriott website is the official branding of "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Hong Kong / Resort". Presumably this comes with additional fees, that the hotel is willing to pay. As such it is official and so there is nothing much you can do except vote with your wallet if this is a problem, and hope they don't start adding on resort fees.

It seems a bit of a shame, but to switch it around we could be happy that the hotel is doing so well and has become a destination in its own right - a rare success story in these difficult times perhaps?
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by littlevoices
The Marriott website reflects the move (it is hidden quite well), in the top left on the Marriott website is the official branding of "Marriott.com / Marriott Hotels & Resorts / Hong Kong / Resort". Presumably this comes with additional fees, that the hotel is willing to pay. As such it is official and so there is nothing much you can do except vote with your wallet if this is a problem, and hope they don't start adding on resort fees.

It seems a bit of a shame, but to switch it around we could be happy that the hotel is doing so well and has become a destination in its own right - a rare success story in these difficult times perhaps?
It's a really nice hotel. I had a very favorable feedback for my stay earlier this year. They treated me very well as a Platinum, but now I'm Titanium. I don't mind the location since it's next to a MTR station. I feel like it's a hidden gem in HK. Great value for the money. It's a shame that it's now a "resort".
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:03 am

Checked in today and was informed of a potential devaluation for some — come Dec 1, 2020, Platinum or above members will no longer receive M Club access unless when booking directly into a club room or suite. This is in addition to the non-guaranteed late check out.

Check in agent awkwardly repeated multiple times that this is the only Marriott property in HK that is designated as a resort and hence other properties will continue to offer guaranteed lounge access and late check out.

Agent has graciously offered a late check out of 1pm though and advised me to give them a call on the day of check out to inquire about a potential 4pm check out.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Central90210
Checked in today and was informed of a potential devaluation for some — come Dec 1, 2020, Platinum or above members will no longer receive M Club access unless when booking directly into a club room or suite. This is in addition to the non-guaranteed late check out.

Check in agent awkwardly repeated multiple times that this is the only Marriott property in HK that is designated as a resort and hence other properties will continue to offer guaranteed lounge access and late check out.

Agent has graciously offered a late check out of 1pm though and advised me to give them a call on the day of check out to inquire about a potential 4pm check out.
That's terrible. So no lounge access even if I get upgraded to a suite?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 9:49 am

That's terrible. So no lounge access even if I get upgraded to a suite?
Yup, strictly no lounge access. This reminds me of the Prince Gallery in Tokyo.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Central90210

Wow. That is an incredible move on the part of this hotel. For a corporate Marriott to deny lounge access to elites is extremely rare and it's not like there's anything exceptional about this hotel. It's not a Luxury Collection, or Tribute Portfolio, or Design Hotel but a corporate branded Marriott. I could get my head around Sheraton resorts losing their lounges outright (Hua Win, Full Moon Maldives for example) but to keep the lounge and deny access to elites. Are there any other Marriotts that do this?

It's not like it's an amazing lounge. It's fine and better than the two Courtyards in HK but nothing special beyond that and my staycations here have been entirely based on getting a room rate of around $1000 and spending the evening having a few drinks in the lounge before going to Stanley the next day. Zero reason to stay here now. I hope they see a massive axing to the numbers of elites staying here now.

Don't worry, we will still be able to enjoy two hours of wine at nearby Ovolo Southside on our way to Stanley.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 3:48 pm

Wow. That is an incredible move on the part of this hotel. For a corporate Marriott to deny lounge access to elites is extremely rare and it's not like there's anything exceptional about this hotel. It's not a Luxury Collection, or Tribute Portfolio, or Design Hotel but a corporate branded Marriott. I could get my head around Sheraton resorts losing their lounges outright (Hua Win, Full Moon Maldives for example) but to keep the lounge and deny access to elites. Are there any other Marriotts that do this?

It's not like it's an amazing lounge. It's fine and better than the two Courtyards in HK but nothing special beyond that and my staycations here have been entirely based on getting a room rate of around $1000 and spending the evening having a few drinks in the lounge before going to Stanley the next day. Zero reason to stay here now. I hope they see a massive axing to the numbers of elites staying here now.

Don't worry, we will still be able to enjoy two hours of wine at nearby Ovolo Southside on our way to Stanley.
Marriott resort-designated properties (JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels) have always been excluded from Elite lounge access even during legacy Marriott times.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by myperks
Marriott resort-designated properties (JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels) have always been excluded from Elite lounge access even during legacy Marriott times.
I've never heard of resort designated properties before. Are you saying all Renaissance properties participate in it?
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've been to the lounge before and you're right, it's not amazing, but it's better than CY HK in SPY. The lounge is also bigger and seem newer.

Will breakfast benefit be honored then? If not, then I have no reason to stay here anymore. It's a shame because I believe this was the best value Marriott hotel in HK. If my status isn't recognized, I mind as well save the money and stay at the Ovolo.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by myperks
Sure, but most of them don't have lounges in the first place? I'm not familiar with the NA market at all so it could be commplace for resorts of these brands to have lounges *and* exclude elites (as we know and accept at RC properties). But I cannot think of another hotel of these brands, resort or not,in Asia or Europe that has a lounge (especially an unexceptional one) that has this policy. Happy to be educated by more widely-travelled FTers than me on this point so I can also avoid them in future.

Actually, I can thing of one: The Renaissance at St. Pancras in London apparently excludes Platinums and only accepts Titaniums in its lounge. I seem to remember that this is the case there though I haven't been to test it out personally (and being Titanium I would of course luxuriate in the feeling of superiority over the wretched Platinums in this scenario).

Point is, this is a rare and exceptional act for a pretty standard Marriott brand hotel in a mainstream location with lots of competition. I conclude that the elite staycation crowd this year have taken full advantage of the ~HK$1000 rates and eaten and drunk themselves to oblivion in the lounge thereby making elites unprofitable customers. Certainly, if this is the reasoning behind this move, I have contributed to it.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:38 pm

I've been to the lounge before and you're right, it's not amazing, but it's better than CY HK in SPY. The lounge is also bigger and seem newer.

Will breakfast benefit be honored then? If not, then I have no reason to stay here anymore. It's a shame because I believe this was the best value Marriott hotel in HK. If my status isn't recognized, I mind as well save the money and stay at the Ovolo.
Breakfast benefit after Dec 1 is points or full breakfast at Marina Kitchen.
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sure, but most of them don't have lounges in the first place? I'm not familiar with the NA market at all so it could be commplace for resorts of these brands to have lounges *and* exclude elites (as we know and accept at RC properties). But I cannot think of another hotel of these brands, resort or not,in Asia or Europe that has a lounge (especially an unexceptional one) that has this policy. Happy to be educated by more widely-travelled FTers than me on this point so I can also avoid them in future.

Actually, I can thing of one: The Renaissance at St. Pancras in London apparently excludes Platinums and only accepts Titaniums in its lounge. I seem to remember that this is the case there though I haven't been to test it out personally (and being Titanium I would of course luxuriate in the feeling of superiority over the wretched Platinums in this scenario).

Point is, this is a rare and exceptional act for a pretty standard Marriott brand hotel in a mainstream location with lots of competition. I conclude that the elite staycation crowd this year have taken full advantage of the ~HK$1000 rates and eaten and drunk themselves to oblivion in the lounge thereby making elites unprofitable customers. Certainly, if this is the reasoning behind this move, I have contributed to it.
The Renaissance Beijing Capital hotel in Beijing allowed Me to access their lounge as a Platinum.

I don't know if I was profitable to this hotel or not, but I took advantage of all of the perks that I was entitled to. I definitely stuff myself at breakfast before going back to my room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.