FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]
Old Nov 27, 2020, 5:27 pm
ftrichard

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by myperks
Marriott resort-designated properties (JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels) have always been excluded from Elite lounge access even during legacy Marriott times.
Sure, but most of them don't have lounges in the first place? I'm not familiar with the NA market at all so it could be commplace for resorts of these brands to have lounges *and* exclude elites (as we know and accept at RC properties). But I cannot think of another hotel of these brands, resort or not,in Asia or Europe that has a lounge (especially an unexceptional one) that has this policy. Happy to be educated by more widely-travelled FTers than me on this point so I can also avoid them in future.

Actually, I can thing of one: The Renaissance at St. Pancras in London apparently excludes Platinums and only accepts Titaniums in its lounge. I seem to remember that this is the case there though I haven't been to test it out personally (and being Titanium I would of course luxuriate in the feeling of superiority over the wretched Platinums in this scenario).

Point is, this is a rare and exceptional act for a pretty standard Marriott brand hotel in a mainstream location with lots of competition. I conclude that the elite staycation crowd this year have taken full advantage of the ~HK$1000 rates and eaten and drunk themselves to oblivion in the lounge thereby making elites unprofitable customers. Certainly, if this is the reasoning behind this move, I have contributed to it.