Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2021, 11:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
How long was the walk to Central? I don't think it was that close right?

I didn't even go to Ocean Park. The rate was good and the fact that it was right next to the MTR convinced me to give it a try. I usually take the last MTR back to the hotel. It's also not that far from Central and TST by train.

Everything that I had said pertained to pre-COVID. I'm not interested in discussing how things are like now since I can't go back to HK at the moment. By the time I get back, things should be close to normal.
CY HK is about a 30-min walk to IFC. If everything is "normal" then yes, if the rate is good you might like it but I remember Ovolo Southside being a much lower rate too and also not far from the MTR. I guess the lounge factor makes a difference now and brings other options into play. Let’s see what rates they charge when things pick up again.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
CY HK is about a 30-min walk to IFC. If everything is "normal" then yes, if the rate is good you might like it but I remember Ovolo Southside being a much lower rate too and also not far from the MTR. I guess the lounge factor makes a difference now and brings other options into play. Let’s see what rates they charge when things pick up again.
When I was last in HK in early 2020, Ovolo's lowest rate was about the same as Ocean Park's. I went with Marriott because I knew it has a lounge and right next to a MTR. Ovolo is about a 5 min. walk from the MTR station.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:54 pm

When I was last in HK in early 2020, Ovolo's lowest rate was about the same as Ocean Park's. I went with Marriott because I knew it has a lounge and right next to a MTR. Ovolo is about a 5 min. walk from the MTR station.
Just did a dummy booking for this weekend. Ovolo is at HKD 590, and Ocean Park Marriott at HKD 751. Not so far apart!

But, given my negative experience at Ocean Park Marriott a few years ago (with refusing to honor upgrade an late checkout), I would never set foot in the Marriott again.
Old Jan 7, 2021, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just did a dummy booking for this weekend. Ovolo is at HKD 590, and Ocean Park Marriott at HKD 751. Not so far apart!

But, given my negative experience at Ocean Park Marriott a few years ago (with refusing to honor upgrade an late checkout), I would never set foot in the Marriott again.
​​​​​​
I think in early 2020, the price difference was about the same. I went with Marriott OP because I felt I would have gotten a better experience and I did. Ovolo was so basic. Nothing wrong and the price reflect that.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
​​​​​​
I think in early 2020, the price difference was about the same. I went with Marriott OP because I felt I would have gotten a better experience and I did. Ovolo was so basic. Nothing wrong and the price reflect that.
I think you can get breakfast and the happy hour (plus the minibar, albeit simple, is free) if you book direct and still get the 1000 welcome points and night credit. They also have a laundry room there too, which some may find useful. I’m actually a big fan of LM Cyberport and their happy hour too. As I said, the absence of lounge access at OPM will make members consider their options more carefully in future.
ftrichard likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 1:57 am

Programs: AsiaMiles/Avios/VirginFlyingClub
Let's get rid of Ocean Park for the poor treatment to elite members.
I feel like treated by robots in this propety.
Old Jan 8, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon

I do like the Ovolo as well, and to be clear their "happy hour" offering, whilst deep fried, did come with some 2-3 hours of unlimited wine and beer in a nice spot is equivalent to a lounge (and better than the Sheraton Towers in TST for example). Sadly its now a vegan property (!!) so not sure if I would return, the Mexican restaurant used to be really good quality. To highlight that I've posted plenty of experiences on the main HK Marriott thread on my staycations in 2020, but haven't stayed at the Ocean Park Marriott since they turned into a resort, even prior to that elite treatment wasn't great. The Ocean Park Marriott is a nice property, new and with an excellent pool and a fair number of restaurants, definitely more interesting than the Ovolo, but without the normal elite perks it becomes a lot less attractive and I may as well choose one of the other hotels in HK based on price, or stay at a more generous Marriott. I suspect that the majority of people staying recently were on a staycation package, which often include late checkout by the way, but Marriott elites like myself would be on the cheapest rate and "taking advantage" of the late checkout/free lounge that are now removed due to being a resort. Hence it isn't about not liking the late check-outs as they are busy, but rather booking rates without that guaranteed.

Post COVID: I would not be suggesting this is a good property either for an elite member due to the resort set-up (the only one in HK) unless visiting Ocean Park, or if the prices remain at the same level (unlikely). The Ovolo is approximately the same distance to the MTR station and the difference to get to central (Admiralty) will be approximately 2 minutes. Right now: my choices are all in the wiki here, and this property isn't in the return list: Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present
Old Jan 8, 2021, 5:05 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I do like the Ovolo as well, and to be clear their "happy hour" offering, whilst deep fried, did come with some 2-3 hours of unlimited wine and beer in a nice spot is equivalent to a lounge (and better than the Sheraton Towers in TST for example). Sadly its now a vegan property (!!) so not sure if I would return, the Mexican restaurant used to be really good quality. To highlight that I've posted plenty of experiences on the main HK Marriott thread on my staycations in 2020, but haven't stayed at the Ocean Park Marriott since they turned into a resort, even prior to that elite treatment wasn't great. The Ocean Park Marriott is a nice property, new and with an excellent pool and a fair number of restaurants, definitely more interesting than the Ovolo, but without the normal elite perks it becomes a lot less attractive and I may as well choose one of the other hotels in HK based on price, or stay at a more generous Marriott. I suspect that the majority of people staying recently were on a staycation package, which often include late checkout by the way, but Marriott elites like myself would be on the cheapest rate and "taking advantage" of the late checkout/free lounge that are now removed due to being a resort. Hence it isn't about not liking the late check-outs as they are busy, but rather booking rates without that guaranteed.

Post COVID: I would not be suggesting this is a good property either for an elite member due to the resort set-up (the only one in HK) unless visiting Ocean Park, or if the prices remain at the same level (unlikely). The Ovolo is approximately the same distance to the MTR station and the difference to get to central (Admiralty) will be approximately 2 minutes. Right now: my choices are all in the wiki here, and this property isn't in the return list: Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hong Kong, 2014-present

I used to love the ovolo and their happy hour, but vegan might well send me elswhere 😁 just not my cup of tea! I am all for having options but hard to imagine a reason to force it on everyone?
Old Jan 8, 2021, 7:43 am

A good Marriott alternative to the OPM in my books is the Renaissance. More or less in the same price bracket but comes with a plethora of honored perks like upgrades, lounge, breakfast and late check out. Whilst Ren's rooms are on the older side, Golds and above will pretty much be guaranteed a harbor view regardless of the room booked. Plus I actually prefer Ren's pool (which is shared with the Grant Hyatt) over OPM's pool - nice view from the pool and mostly importantly, heated (unlike OPM's).
littlevoices and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 7, 2021, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
I guess it really comes down to whether non-Bonvoy guests are filling the rooms so they do not need elites. In normal times, I'd guess that Ocean Park visitors from the mainland would have filled this hotel. But these days, no tourists, few mainlanders, in any case Ocean Park largely closed. Difficult to see the logic behind it unless the owners are seeking to deflag anyway and this is just part of a passive aggressive series of steps on their part to create an unsustainable situation for Marriott.
Well, last year “staycation” becomes a hot topic among HKers, most five star hotels had high occupancy rate during weekends. During the summer time, this hotel is packed with all non-Bonvoy family guests every day because of its swimming pool and Ocean Park. You have to queue for two to three hours if you want to enter the pool during weekend. So, maybe the big boss think that they no longer need Bonvoy guests to make money so they applied to be “Resort” then. And starting from Dec, no more pool, no more Ocean Park. The room rate dropped drastically, but the previous act already pushed away the members. Now, it became the no.1 HK Bonvoyers’ most disliked Marriott brand hotel.
littlevoices, ftrichard and FQ415 like this.

Last edited by missfh; Mar 8, 2021 at 5:50 am
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:39 am

I'm platinum and was given 4PM check out last month. No lounge access even when upgraded to a club room.
Given the lack of lounge and the lack of anything else in the area, the only time I'd recommend this hotel for elites is if you have leftover suite night awards to burn since booking a suite should give you lounge access. This hotel is rightfully priced lower than the Renaissance despite being a new luxuryish hotel.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
What disturbs me most is that when I first visited in 2019, I was impressed with the hotel - close to MTR, bright, airy, modern, clean and spacious rooms, best bath tub of any hotel in HK, and great breakfast. But now I can see that they really have done a lot of cost cutting on the breakfast - the crepe/waffle station chef is gone, replaced by a pancake machine of the sort you usually see in airline lounges. Says it all really.
Old Feb 20, 2022, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Isochronous
What disturbs me most is that when I first visited in 2019, I was impressed with the hotel - close to MTR, bright, airy, modern, clean and spacious rooms, best bath tub of any hotel in HK, and great breakfast. But now I can see that they really have done a lot of cost cutting on the breakfast - the crepe/waffle station chef is gone, replaced by a pancake machine of the sort you usually see in airline lounges. Says it all really.
Is the breakfast spread as extensive as before? I really loved the breakfast and thought it was very high quality. I haven't been back to HK since the start of the pandemic.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 12:25 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Is the breakfast spread as extensive as before? I really loved the breakfast and thought it was very high quality. I haven't been back to HK since the start of the pandemic.
Sheraton Tung Chung is substantially better, I would have to say. But by European or North American standards the Ocean Park breakfast is probably still OK.
lsquare and ftrichard like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 2:40 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
And you're not likely to go back to HK for the foreseeable future. I'd scrub it from your list of Asian destinations. I speak as someone who has just escaped after spending the pandemic in HK and Shenzhen and HK is by far and away the most ridiculous, random, and headless territory.

On the other hand, I'd also recommend the new(ish) Sheraton Tung Chung as an alternative to Ocean Park. It became our favourite staycation property with the best lounge experience and service in HK based on our experience last year at the JW, RC, Renaissance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.