Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2019, 7:20 am
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow the description of the room assignment was enough for me. Can't stand it when hotels play those room assignment games. I'll keep at them until they give me a decent room, even if it means going down to the front desk two or three times.

I also was in the camp of "not really interested" already so this description fully confirmed that.

Yes, reasonable walking proximity to all these locations, especially Hong Kong Park plus Bowen Road for running, is why I like the Pacific Place location so much.
Pacific Place location is great, it's just that the hotels there are overpriced and old and dumpy. (Except Upper House which is way out of my budget usually)
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just stayed at this hotel over the weekend Sat-Sun. Booked a Deluxe room for HKD 1,378, and was upgraded to a Club Room in the Club Wing. I have nothing more to add regarding the rooms and hotel itself; above posts describe the hotel hardware spot on.

I have not had time to search online for Marriott's list of resort hotels yet, and whether the Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park is one of them. I will get to this later, or perhaps someone can be quicker and give a link showing yes or no.

I am almost 100% certain that the check-in staff have been trained by management to use all forms of excuses to deny suite upgrades, to deny suite 4pm checkouts, and to give limited Elite benefits which are against the Bonvoy T&C. It is quite disappointing.

The purpose I stayed in this hotel for this weekend was to scope out the place for a probable family, relatives, and friends trip to Hong Kong during this summer. We would have had close to 30-35 people (adults and children) and would probably need to book 13-15 rooms for 2+ nights. Some of these bookings would definitely have been suites, and of course, some of them would have been nice to be suite upgrades! Given the poor showing by hotel during check in, we are probably going to look elsewhere for accommodations for our summer trip.

I would not stand in front of desk and using my app showing the staff that you should giving me a suite . The suite upgrade is not a guarantee, and of course all hotel want to keep some of the suite for sell, if they offer me an free upgrade from standard to suite, I would love to take it and leave it early , switching to a standard room to using my 4 pm check out .
Old Jan 10, 2020, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I would not stand in front of desk and using my app showing the staff that you should giving me a suite . The suite upgrade is not a guarantee, and of course all hotel want to keep some of the suite for sell, if they offer me an free upgrade from standard to suite, I would love to take it and leave it early , switching to a standard room to using my 4 pm check out .
You have your preferences, and I have mine. To each his own.

If a Standard Suite is available at time of check in, then it should be given, with all entitled Elite benefits. Guests should not have to "fight" for them, and that is the major gripe with some at this hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 5:15 am

My only problem during my stay was their room's strong disgusting smell. Don't know if they have resolved this issue yet, but definitely I will never go back to the hotel again.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:14 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Zender3835
My only problem during my stay was their room's strong disgusting smell. Don't know if they have resolved this issue yet, but definitely I will never go back to the hotel again.
The sewage smell they try to mask with too much air freshener? That was not resolved during my last stay in early December. Quite disgusting, indeed! Although I didn't have the problem on prior stays, so it must not affect all rooms.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
The sewage smell they try to mask with too much air freshener? That was not resolved during my last stay in early December. Quite disgusting, indeed! Although I didn't have the problem on prior stays, so it must not affect all rooms.
Seems yes. I booked a deluxe room and get upgrade to a Club room located at the 5/F in the Club Wing. That smell start from corridor till room entrance. Heard housekeeping whispering that many people complaint but nothing can be done.

Don't know if this affect all rooms but the occupancy shouldn't be high, with the situation in Hong Kong. If they still need to assign these rooms to guest, either is they don't care or they can't avoid it. Both not good for a Marriott branded hotel...
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Zender3835
Seems yes. I booked a deluxe room and get upgrade to a Club room located at the 5/F in the Club Wing. That smell start from corridor till room entrance. Heard housekeeping whispering that many people complaint but nothing can be done.

Don't know if this affect all rooms but the occupancy shouldn't be high, with the situation in Hong Kong. If they still need to assign these rooms to guest, either is they don't care or they can't avoid it. Both not good for a Marriott branded hotel...
I had the same problem. First housekeeping tried to put some liquid down the drain but didn’t work so I ended up moving to a different room. The smell came from the drain in the bathroom.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

which hotel offer better quality food and drinks, breakfast between Renaissance and Ocean Park Marriott?

Some reports indicated that happy hour quality in Renaissance has gone downhill recently so I am thinking about try ocean park which mostly have positive experience about breakfast and lounge happy hour offer?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:41 pm

Not sure I'd agree with mostly positive. The evening food at Marriott OP has minimal rotation (same salads/cold cuts/desserts every night), and the hot stuff ranges from just ok to inedible (mushy pasta, disgusting ribs). Good selection of alcohol, and the lounge is a pleasant environment when it's not busy, assuming you're not a tall westerner who can't fit their legs under the tiny tables. Breakfast can be taken in the restaurant Mon-Tue, and I would characterize that buffet as very nice by HK standards. Fri-Sun, breakfast is set up at the lounge, and it's a rather limited affair. I do stay here on occasion, but solely because of midweek rates of HKD600 or so (after 25% BRG discount). I wouldn't stay here if rates were higher (in the current climate), and I wouldn't go near it on weekends at any rate.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpdx
Not sure I'd agree with mostly positive. The evening food at Marriott OP has minimal rotation (same salads/cold cuts/desserts every night), and the hot stuff ranges from just ok to inedible (mushy pasta, disgusting ribs). Good selection of alcohol, and the lounge is a pleasant environment when it's not busy, assuming you're not a tall westerner who can't fit their legs under the tiny tables. Breakfast can be taken in the restaurant Mon-Tue, and I would characterize that buffet as very nice by HK standards. Fri-Sun, breakfast is set up at the lounge, and it's a rather limited affair. I do stay here on occasion, but solely because of midweek rates of HKD600 or so (after 25% BRG discount). I wouldn't stay here if rates were higher (in the current climate), and I wouldn't go near it on weekends at any rate.
it's really that bad? I hear some Chinese dude told me the rib in the lounge is delicious...lol

So coming in weekends, Plat and above are not allowed to have free breakfast in the main restaurant?

for the rate of 1400 in Renaissance and 983 of ocean park, you think Renaissance a better choice in term of lounge and breakfast quality?

Last edited by Vince Chan; Jan 21, 2020 at 7:53 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:50 pm

I've tried the ribs a few times -- for some reason, they make an appearance almost every night (many hotel lounges are on a 5 night rotation or something, but at Marriott OP, it seems to be whatever they have laying around, which often is ribs). They're sometimes ok, sometimes inedible.

Marriott isn't one of the brands where Plat+ can choose full restaurant breakfast as amenity in lieu of the 1000 points (that's only legacy SPG), so you have to take what the hotel gives you. Which in the case of Marriott OP is restaurant breakfast Mon-Thu, lounge breakfast Fri-Sun. I'm guessing this arrangement has to do with low occupancy, and I imagine that when/if occupancy returns to normal, they will likely serve breakfast at the lounge every day.

I don't stay at the Renaissance very often, because I don't like it. I would say that its rates have dropped less than other hotels, making it less of a deal IMO. FWIW, I stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few times in December, at a rate of HKD 1360 per night, and I think that hotel is several notches above the Renaissance.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Doing a staycation at OP this week, so will let you all know how it goes!
Old Jun 6, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Doing a staycation at OP this week, so will let you all know how it goes!
You picked a great weekend for a staycation in HK. It's been pouring with rain most of it. We were going to Sai Kung on Saturday or Sunday but have cancelled plans and will hibernate instead.

We've done two staycations at the OP over the weekend recently. Rate is good at just over HK$1000 a night all in. First weekend (9 May), they reopened the pool and gym. Second weekend they reopened the M Club (first weekend the Club benefit was provided on the ground floor near the reception so you didn't miss out on anything). Breakfast is held in two shifts in the buffet.

It's a very popular hotel for a weekend staycation with families with young children because of the pool and so despite the situation it feels busy and the pool area is like a creche during the day. This also impacts the Club experience while the food is out from 17.30-19.30 (alcohol until 21.30) so bear that in mind and get there early if you want to get a table in the corner away from other people's wandering kiddies.

I like this hotel for a staycation with its easy access to Stanley for Sunday Brunch. Probably the best value at this rate in HK for elites with Club access.
lsquare and joakgarp like this.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ftrichard
You picked a great weekend for a staycation in HK. It's been pouring with rain most of it. We were going to Sai Kung on Saturday or Sunday but have cancelled plans and will hibernate instead.

We've done two staycations at the OP over the weekend recently. Rate is good at just over HK$1000 a night all in. First weekend (9 May), they reopened the pool and gym. Second weekend they reopened the M Club (first weekend the Club benefit was provided on the ground floor near the reception so you didn't miss out on anything). Breakfast is held in two shifts in the buffet.

It's a very popular hotel for a weekend staycation with families with young children because of the pool and so despite the situation it feels busy and the pool area is like a creche during the day. This also impacts the Club experience while the food is out from 17.30-19.30 (alcohol until 21.30) so bear that in mind and get there early if you want to get a table in the corner away from other people's wandering kiddies.

I like this hotel for a staycation with its easy access to Stanley for Sunday Brunch. Probably the best value at this rate in HK for elites with Club access.
Although with the rain the outdoor pool is less useful so am contemplating a switch to the Mira.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by Isochronous
Although with the rain the outdoor pool is less useful so am contemplating a switch to the Mira.
I'm very tempted by both of the Mira hotels with their current rates below HK$1000 a night (given their regular rates). However, as an elite you don't get anything for that at either of them because they are by-the-book Design Hotels. No evening drinks. No evening meal. No buffet breakfast.

Did you consider booking direct at Ovolo in which case you'll get all their regular things (breakfast, evening drinks and snacks, minibar) as well as your Bonvoy nights and points for comfortably less than HK$1000.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.