Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
What’s the best way to this hotel from the airport? If taking a taxi from the Airport Express Hong Kong Station, how much will it cost?
My Uber ride from airport on friday afternoon was HKD350 and just over 1 hour trip
Old Apr 11, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
Just had a stay here.and was reasonably impressed. Here's a summary:

Location. Pretty easy from public transport options at Ocean park but a bit tricky to walk up from Wong Chuk Hang where my office is located. Reception is upstairs on the 1st floor.

The property: A little remote and very quiet so there was a bit of a subdued vibe about the place. The M-Club was nice and not at all crowded at any time I visited. I saw people swimming and the gym facilities were reasonable although heaviest dumbbells were only 20kg. Eventually there will be an amazing cylindrical aquarium at the ground floor entrance however this is still a few months away from having fish in it.

Check in: Check in was smooth, I was preallocated a swimming pool view and had to enquire about a suite upgrade. They found me one on the promise I vacated the room by 1pm - not a problem. Elite gift was a soft drink and snack or 1000 points. No prizes for guessing what I chose!

The Room: The room was pretty spacious, the living room sofa had a built in chaise and was fairly comfortable. Big, modern TVs with very good quality picture and a wide variety of channels that covered many Asian languages. The bathroom was pretty huge with a mini walk in closet. The faucets in both the sinks and the shower were electronic on/off style that I have never seen before. They were pretty cool but you couldn't control the flow of water so when I wanted to add water to the iron to do some pressing it made a mess. Incidentally there is a good iron but no ironing board in the room! The bedding etc was of reasonable quality but not super plush.

Overall : A cheap and cheerful option for a quick stay but I appreciate the difference in quality of the hard product and location of the JW when I can get a good rate. The facilities and size of room has probably won me over from the occasional stay I have at the Mira Moon if on a sort business overnighter.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Second stay at Marriott’s new property at Ocean Park in Hong Kong. Very convenient location just one stop from Admiralty on MTR. This time the lounge and club wing were open. Upgraded to a club room in advance. It’s a curious design with a square bath that’s not very practical and as a room isn’t much of an upgrade from the regular room. The lounge staff were great but it was a zoo at 5.30pm on a Saturday when the food was put out and there was nowhere to sit until all the many families with young children (doubtless still excited after their day at the water park next door) had eaten their extensive evening meal. Food quality has gone downhill since the soft opening when the main restaurant was used as a temporary lounge. It was an unpleasant lounge experience more reminiscent of an all-you-can-eat all-inclusive three-star family resort than a Marriott Lounge in HK. I found a seat around the conference room table. The Courtyard HK’s lounge is a decidedly more pleasant experience. Food was cleared strictly at 7.30pm and it quietened down and booze stayed out until 9.30pm. We ordered over-priced mediocre sweet and sour from room service. I had a good experience first time here. This time, not so. Strike it off the list.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 3:15 am

Programs: AA LTPlat, Marriott LTTitanium, IHG Spire, Hyatt Globalist
Finished up a 3-day stay today and I really enjoyed it. As posted above the lounge on Saturday was populated by kids with enough energy to fuel a moon rocket, but I rather enjoyed watching them and interacting with a few curious enough to try out their English abilities. All day Monday and Tuesday, the lounge was eerily quiet although I would expect after school is out for the year, it may not be so. The food was great in my opinion. In the evenings there were 3 or 4 hot options which were quite good. The cold items were what you would normally expect but the staff kept them replaced continuously. The breakfast in the lounge was fine for me since I'm a light breakfast eater. The best thing about the hotel is the lounge staff who were attentive and informative.

The room was average size. I of course attempted an upgrade to a suite, but they were sold out the first night and I was informed I was number 7 on the waiting list for the next two nights, so I gave up on that option. Don't expect to be awakened by the morning light as the room had the most effective blackout system I've ever seen anywhere. The tub is a square thing, but very deep so that for most people the water can reach neck high. The only complaint is that the hot water was barely luke warm. The room did have a desk, but it was the size of a cocktail table which was slightly annoying. The internet was fast although I didn't measure the speed but did download several movies in a reasonable amount of time.

I normally stay at the Cyberport, but this new hotel will be my first choice from now on assuming the price doesn't skyrocket over the summer.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:51 am

Just stayed at this hotel over the weekend Sat-Sun. Booked a Deluxe room for HKD 1,378, and was upgraded to a Club Room in the Club Wing. I have nothing more to add regarding the rooms and hotel itself; above posts describe the hotel hardware spot on.

My gripe is with the hotel's refusal to follow Marriott Bonvoy Elite benefits, and the check in staff has lied about almost everything.
  • At check-in, I was told that the hotel has offered me a very good upgrade to a Club Room and also with M Club access in the Club Wing. I politely reminded the attendant that my Titanium Elite status offers me these benefits as standard.
  • I inquired about a suite. Without looking at her computer, the attendant said that none were available. I asked her what would be the standard suite which the hotel would usually upgrade to, if it were available. She replied that it would be the Executive Suite.
  • I checked the Bonvoy App right in front of the attendant, and told her that a few were actually available for booking at the time of my check in (4:35pm). She called someone on the phone and then came back to me and said that the suite would be available, but I would need to vacate the suite by 11:00am.
  • I told the attendant that I should have 4pm guaranteed late checkout as my benefit. She said that ALL suites the next day (Sunday) were booked and all guests were going to check in early. I asked the attendant what the standard check-in time would be, and she said 3:00pm, but the hotel has confirmed that tomorrow's suites' guests can all check in early. (I thought that was a bunch of crap.)
  • I persisted with being given late check out, and the attendant called someone on the phone again. She then came back and said that, if I were to use my points to upgrade to the suite or book the actual suite itself with cash, then I would be given 4pm checkout. So, I asked her, you are basically asking me to PAY FOR a benefit which I am entitled to...suite upgrade AND 4pm checkout????? The attendant replied "Yes".
  • I asked her to go get a copy of the Marriott Bonvoy T&C, and we would look at it together to confirm my Elite benefits. While she went to look for one, I called up the Titanium Elite benefits on my Bonvoy App. The attendant came back with an iPad and showed me a version which said "4pm checkout subject to availability." My Bonvoy App shows that the 4pm checkout is guaranteed except for Resort hotels. I asked the attendant whether this hotel was a resort hotel. She looked surprised at my question, but quickly responded "Oh, yet we are!"
I did not push the suite upgrade further, and instead took the Club Room with the 4pm checkout. I was not sure whether I was truly entitled to 4pm checkout with the suite since it might have indeed been based upon availability for resort hotels. But, since the hotel was willing to sell me the suite and give me late checkout, then that means "based on availability" would have been "available", right?

I have not had time to search online for Marriott's list of resort hotels yet, and whether the Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park is one of them. I will get to this later, or perhaps someone can be quicker and give a link showing yes or no.

I am almost 100% certain that the check-in staff have been trained by management to use all forms of excuses to deny suite upgrades, to deny suite 4pm checkouts, and to give limited Elite benefits which are against the Bonvoy T&C. It is quite disappointing.

The purpose I stayed in this hotel for this weekend was to scope out the place for a probable family, relatives, and friends trip to Hong Kong during this summer. We would have had close to 30-35 people (adults and children) and would probably need to book 13-15 rooms for 2+ nights. Some of these bookings would definitely have been suites, and of course, some of them would have been nice to be suite upgrades! Given the poor showing by hotel during check in, we are probably going to look elsewhere for accommodations for our summer trip.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Just stayed at this hotel over the weekend Sat-Sun. Booked a Deluxe room for HKD 1,378, and was upgraded to a Club Room in the Club Wing. I have nothing more to add regarding the rooms and hotel itself; above posts describe the hotel hardware spot on.
SNIP
You may have another gripe to look forward to. I also stayed for a Saturday night a few weeks ago. I'd booked a HK$1350+ rate on the app. The stay posted quickly on the Monday but incorrectly with only 288 Base points + 216 Elite points which relate to a room service meal I ordered. The Front Office Manager is very proactive responding to reviews on TripAdvisor so I emailed him directly asking for it to be fixed to include my room rate. I was ignored for a week until I sent an IM on Facebook and Twitter at which point I got two emails saying they would resubmit my folio to Bonvoy. Still nothing has changed on my account. I've emailed again.

I like this hotel and despite a terrible kid-filled lounge experience on the Saturday night I would stay again at this rate if I need to overnight in HK. But something is up there.

Please let me know how you made the reservation and if the stay posts correctly on your account. Thanks.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:34 pm

My gripe is with the hotel's refusal to follow Marriott Bonvoy Elite benefits, and the check in staff has lied about almost everything.
  • At check-in, I was told that the hotel has offered me a very good upgrade to a Club Room and also with M Club access in the Club Wing. I politely reminded the attendant that my Titanium Elite status offers me these benefits as standard.
  • I inquired about a suite. Without looking at her computer, the attendant said that none were available. I asked her what would be the standard suite which the hotel would usually upgrade to, if it were available. She replied that it would be the Executive Suite.
  • I checked the Bonvoy App right in front of the attendant, and told her that a few were actually available for booking at the time of my check in (4:35pm). She called someone on the phone and then came back to me and said that the suite would be available, but I would need to vacate the suite by 11:00am.
  • I told the attendant that I should have 4pm guaranteed late checkout as my benefit. She said that ALL suites the next day (Sunday) were booked and all guests were going to check in early. I asked the attendant what the standard check-in time would be, and she said 3:00pm, but the hotel has confirmed that tomorrow's suites' guests can all check in early. (I thought that was a bunch of crap.)
  • I persisted with being given late check out, and the attendant called someone on the phone again. She then came back and said that, if I were to use my points to upgrade to the suite or book the actual suite itself with cash, then I would be given 4pm checkout. So, I asked her, you are basically asking me to PAY FOR a benefit which I am entitled to...suite upgrade AND 4pm checkout????? The attendant replied "Yes".
  • I asked her to go get a copy of the Marriott Bonvoy T&C, and we would look at it together to confirm my Elite benefits. While she went to look for one, I called up the Titanium Elite benefits on my Bonvoy App. The attendant came back with an iPad and showed me a version which said "4pm checkout subject to availability." My Bonvoy App shows that the 4pm checkout is guaranteed except for Resort hotels. I asked the attendant whether this hotel was a resort hotel. She looked surprised at my question, but quickly responded "Oh, yet we are!"
I did not push the suite upgrade further, and instead took the Club Room with the 4pm checkout. I was not sure whether I was truly entitled to 4pm checkout with the suite since it might have indeed been based upon availability for resort hotels. But, since the hotel was willing to sell me the suite and give me late checkout, then that means "based on availability" would have been "available", right?

I have not had time to search online for Marriott's list of resort hotels yet, and whether the Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park is one of them. I will get to this later, or perhaps someone can be quicker and give a link showing yes or no.

I am almost 100% certain that the check-in staff have been trained by management to use all forms of excuses to deny suite upgrades, to deny suite 4pm checkouts, and to give limited Elite benefits which are against the Bonvoy T&C. It is quite disappointing.

The purpose I stayed in this hotel for this weekend was to scope out the place for a probable family, relatives, and friends trip to Hong Kong during this summer. We would have had close to 30-35 people (adults and children) and would probably need to book 13-15 rooms for 2+ nights. Some of these bookings would definitely have been suites, and of course, some of them would have been nice to be suite upgrades! Given the poor showing by hotel during check in, we are probably going to look elsewhere for accommodations for our summer trip.
The beauty of your review is that corporate is importing random media writers ("influencers") to this property this month and giving them pseudo titanium status so they can "experience all of the excellent titanium vip benefits". Beyond the corporate spin, your experience is a good summary of what the real titanium experience is like.

I do wonder whether the people with pre-arranged upgrades and early check-in may have been some of those guests. It would make sense (although still fundamentally wrong) why they would try to guarantee them early check-in and withhold a suite upgrade unless you agreed to leave early, since your experience won't be featured in magazines

If it was me, I would have taken the suite, waited, and then sked for my guaranteed 4pm late check-out on the day of departure. But I've been traveling too long on this trip and getting a bit jaded.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:04 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy

Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel is not listed as a resort.
We would like to share your experience with the Loyalty Performance team so that they can follow up with the hotel, if you could please provide your reservation details to us via private mail here or by email below.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
Old Apr 29, 2019, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker II
Hong Kong Ocean Park Marriott Hotel is not listed as a resort.
We would like to share your experience with the Loyalty Performance team so that they can follow up with the hotel, if you could please provide your reservation details to us via private mail here or by email below.

Best Regards,

Christina Zhou
Specialist, Social Media
Marriott International

[email protected]
PM has been sent. Thank you for the follow up, and also for confirming for all of us that the property is not currently listed as a resort hotel.
Old May 7, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by ftrichard
You may have another gripe to look forward to. I also stayed for a Saturday night a few weeks ago. I'd booked a HK$1350+ rate on the app. The stay posted quickly on the Monday but incorrectly with only 288 Base points + 216 Elite points which relate to a room service meal I ordered. The Front Office Manager is very proactive responding to reviews on TripAdvisor so I emailed him directly asking for it to be fixed to include my room rate. I was ignored for a week until I sent an IM on Facebook and Twitter at which point I got two emails saying they would resubmit my folio to Bonvoy. Still nothing has changed on my account. I've emailed again.

I like this hotel and despite a terrible kid-filled lounge experience on the Saturday night I would stay again at this rate if I need to overnight in HK. But something is up there.

Please let me know how you made the reservation and if the stay posts correctly on your account. Thanks.
Well, it's been nine days after checkout, and the stay and points have still not shown up in my account. I did not have any incidental charges; it was only the room rate.

I hope the hotel is not making a conscious effort to deny guests even these basic Bonvoy entitlements!

Will have to chase the hotel when I have time later.
Old May 7, 2019, 10:31 am

Well, it's been nine days after checkout, and the stay and points have still not shown up in my account. I did not have any incidental charges; it was only the room rate.

I hope the hotel is not making a conscious effort to deny guests even these basic Bonvoy entitlements!

Will have to chase the hotel when I have time later.
My stay posted quickly (by Monday afternoon following a Sunday morning check out) but it was incorrect. The Base points only included my room service bill and not the room rate so both the base and the extra lines were incorrect. I tried emailing the Front Desk twice before reaching out through their Facebook page on FB Messenger. They're not the quickest at responding but this did eventually get a response after half a day and they followed up with Bonvoy. I know this because they forwarded me the email they sent to Bonvoy asking them to fix the points and including a copy of my folio. It seems they couldn't fix it themselves. After another 24 hours the Base and Extra points were fixed marginally in my favour. I therefore recommend that you contact them by FB Messenger.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ftrichard
My stay posted quickly (by Monday afternoon following a Sunday morning check out) but it was incorrect. The Base points only included my room service bill and not the room rate so both the base and the extra lines were incorrect. I tried emailing the Front Desk twice before reaching out through their Facebook page on FB Messenger. They're not the quickest at responding but this did eventually get a response after half a day and they followed up with Bonvoy. I know this because they forwarded me the email they sent to Bonvoy asking them to fix the points and including a copy of my folio. It seems they couldn't fix it themselves. After another 24 hours the Base and Extra points were fixed marginally in my favour. I therefore recommend that you contact them by FB Messenger.
Well, I'm not on Facebook, so Messenger's not going to work for me. Thanks for your advice in any case. Will chase them up one way or the other, but this just puts another thorn in the situation because the majority of my stays at other hotels have posted without any issues (prior- and post-merger).
Old May 7, 2019, 8:06 pm

This is interesting, I had the exact same line from front desk about having to vacate at 11am the next day after being given a suite upgrade. Something very fishy going on there.

Regarding points, having read this I checked the activity on my bonvoy account and noticed the following posting:

+3121 points (44 Base + 33 Elite + 3,044 Extra)

My room rate was $1,350 + tax. I've honestly lost track of how points are calculated so I'm not sure if I have been short changed here. Anyone else got some insight as to whether that looks correct? I am a little surprised by the amount of 'extra' versus base & Elite (I am titanium)
Old May 8, 2019, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by newshound
This is interesting, I had the exact same line from front desk about having to vacate at 11am the next day after being given a suite upgrade. Something very fishy going on there.

Regarding points, having read this I checked the activity on my bonvoy account and noticed the following posting:

+3121 points (44 Base + 33 Elite + 3,044 Extra)

My room rate was $1,350 + tax. I've honestly lost track of how points are calculated so I'm not sure if I have been short changed here. Anyone else got some insight as to whether that looks correct? I am a little surprised by the amount of 'extra' versus base & Elite (I am titanium)
The hotel's system is clearly haywire. Your points posted (incorrectly) just like mine. Looking at it, and assuming you're registered for the Double Take bonus, I'm guessing you charged something on your room costing around US$4.40? This would explain the 44 Base + 33 Elite + 44 of the Extra (Double Take element). 1000 of the Extra is your welcome bonus. The remaining 2000 of the Extra are a mystery bonus. Don't mention it when contacting them ;-).

You have not received any points for the room rate of HK$1350+ which is exactly the rate I booked at on the app (which was not available on the web site at the time of booking). Take a look on your paper bill. The room rate is called something strange (ie not clearly identified as the room rate - I don't have mine to hand to check what they called it). In any case, the room rate should result in your room rate of US$170 x (10 + 7.5 + 10) = 4,765 points for the one-night stay plus the points for the minor US$4.40 charge.

Marriott corporate will fix this and you'll get to keep the mystery 2000 bonus points on top.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:02 am

Thanks, so am I best off to get in touch with the hotel or call Marriott directly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.