Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Hong Kong Ocean Park [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2022, 4:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by missfh
Well, last year “staycation” becomes a hot topic among HKers, most five star hotels had high occupancy rate during weekends. During the summer time, this hotel is packed with all non-Bonvoy family guests every day because of its swimming pool and Ocean Park. You have to queue for two to three hours if you want to enter the pool during weekend. So, maybe the big boss think that they no longer need Bonvoy guests to make money so they applied to be “Resort” then. And starting from Dec, no more pool, no more Ocean Park. The room rate dropped drastically, but the previous act already pushed away the members. Now, it became the no.1 HK Bonvoyers’ most disliked Marriott brand hotel.
Seeing this thread come back to life you can imagine how this decision is working out for the hotel (badly, shame about staff impact of course) as the pool will have been closed for a long time, and no more theme parks... but more importantly: As far as I can see, is the hotel back to a normal one (not a resort anymore?). In the Marriott website it appear as just a standard Marriott, and doesn't filter for any resorts in China. So clearly the extra fees didn't pay off and now they're going to have to give everyone late checkout and club lounge access.

But I'd never even considered coming back as a result of their previous decisions and poor elite treatment, it could be a cautionary lesson if it wasn't for this being a fairly unique situation now in HK and with COVID. Room rates are back at less than HKD1000/night at weekends, and max out at 2500/night in the best rooms with free food & other perks.
ftrichard likes this.
Old May 7, 2022, 7:14 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by littlevoices
As far as I can see, is the hotel back to a normal one (not a resort anymore?). In the Marriott website it appear as just a standard Marriott, and doesn't filter for any resorts in China.
I was wrong, the hotel confirmed they are still a resort, so something was wrong with the website. So.... Stay away if you're an elite looking for benefits.
(This is based on a response from the hotel and a new filter... that shows the hotel now as a resort... it was clearly a bug to say it wasn't and I confirmed that with the hotel)
ftrichard likes this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Further confirmation that it’s still a resort:

Thank you for your email.

We are regret to inform you that our hotel under the category of Resort Hotel. Room upgrade and late check out benefits are not guaranteed and subjected to availability. Guest can enjoy the lounge access only if they reserved Club room with lounge access or Suite Room with lounge access.

For the Elite Welcome Gift will be of the below choices:

1.) Full Buffet Style Breakfast (Max for 2 Adults & 2 Children age 12 or below)
OR
2.) Extra 1000 Bonvoy points
OR
3.) Selective snacks & drinks : Such as Pepsi/ Orange Juice/ Evian/ Harbin/ Budweiser served with Assorted Chocolates

If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Old Feb 9, 2023, 2:23 am

Any viable alternatives to the $500 per 24 hours valet parking + $80 per additional hour? Is parking overnight in the main Ocean Park carpark a viable option, and are there other self-park choices nearby?
Old Feb 9, 2023, 11:10 pm

Ocean Park's car parks are cheaper and open 24/7, with current visitor levels I don't think you'd struggle to find space, and this being Hong Kong you don't have any safety issues (https://www.oceanpark.com.hk/en/park...park-entrances). Unsure exactly where you are coming from, but there isn't on-street parking nearby, you could probably park illegally in some of the nearby housing areas, but you'd likely get towed as they are expensive places. That price for the hotel is a lot of money, you'd likely find it cheaper to get return taxis and leave the car elsewhere.
Old Feb 11, 2023, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Has anyone successfully gotten an elite upgrade here since their move to a Resort category hotel?
Old Feb 11, 2023, 8:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
The breakfast was amazing when this opened in 2019 but went very downmarket and cheap once the pandemic happened - cheaper ingredients, cheaper sausages, no more crepe/waffle station and now a dodgy airport lounge style machine that churns them out. Very disappointing to see what this hotel has become.
Old Feb 12, 2023, 2:40 am

Just completed a quick 1 night stay and will try to post a TR in due course.

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Ocean Park's car parks are cheaper and open 24/7, with current visitor levels I don't think you'd struggle to find space, and this being Hong Kong you don't have any safety issues (https://www.oceanpark.com.hk/en/park...park-entrances). Unsure exactly where you are coming from, but there isn't on-street parking nearby, you could probably park illegally in some of the nearby housing areas, but you'd likely get towed as they are expensive places. That price for the hotel is a lot of money, you'd likely find it cheaper to get return taxis and leave the car elsewhere.
I did end up parking in the main OP car park which was literally 50m from the hotel lobby. Total cost was $350 covering two days, and I figure the hotel would have charged double that for the same period.

Originally Posted by nemex
Has anyone successfully gotten an elite upgrade here since their move to a Resort category hotel?
Yes. I got a suite upgrade and 2pm checkout, but not the M Club lounge access.
Old May 30, 2023, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I'm assuming this hotel is still classified as a resort. Has anyone stayed here recently? I'm a Titanium Elite. I'm assuming I'll at least get breakfast and lounge access? Just no guaranteed 4 PM late checkout?
Old May 30, 2023, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm assuming this hotel is still classified as a resort. Has anyone stayed here recently? I'm a Titanium Elite. I'm assuming I'll at least get breakfast and lounge access? Just no guaranteed 4 PM late checkout?
Still a resort AFAIK, this means that you can choose breakfast, but no lounge access (unless paid for) and no late checkout, i.e. forget about the guarantee, I suspect the reason they moved to being a resort was to avoid the late checkouts which presumably were messing with their cleaning schedule since most people only stayed one or two nights.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.