Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: windhund
Has an Arrival/Departure Lounge, where travelers can unwind after a long flight. Personal showers and lockers in the lounge also are available to those who need to check out of their rooms before leaving the resort.

Has an amazing view from the Adult Only Infinity Pool

Daily resort fee USD 30 plus tax will be added to rate. As of 2018, the resort fee benefits were as listed below. However, this list came from a card labeled "Resort Fees & Amenities: Elite", and it's not clear which ones are different for or apply only to elites. There's also a disclaimer: "The Resort Fee includes a variety of amenities for our guests. Please note some amenities are subject to availability."
  • Complimentary daily internet
  • Unlimited US Domestic, long distance & local phone calls
  • Outgoing domestic US fax service (up to 20 pages)
  • 15% on Laundry and Dry Cleaning Services
  • 30-minute personal photo session and package upgrade
  • Daily Fitness Classes
  • Daily Hawaiian Cultural Activities
  • 1 hour bicycle rental (2 bicycles per stay)
  • Bottled Water (2 per day)
  • Welcome shell lei greeting upon arrival
  • Courtesy rides within the Wailea Resort (upon availability)
  • Beach Chair Rental (2 per day)
  • Cabana Rentals: 10% discount on full-day cabana rentals at 'Ohi pools, Maluhia pools & NALU adventure pool. Dial 'At Your Service' for reservations
  • Mandara Spa: 10% discount on 50-minute service (excludes special promotions and events)
  • Ocean Concierge & Activities: 20% discount on weekly paddle board rental; complimentary fish identification card; complimentary introductory morning scuba lesson. Visit the 'Ohio Pools for reservations.
  • The Movie House: complimentary movie screenings. View the weekly schedule for showtimes.
  • GameSpace: complimentary access to GameSapce, featuring foosball, billiards, shuffleboard, vintage arcade and Xbox games [for those who haven't been back since the renovation, this is an indoor gaming area they added as part of the renovations. It's at the far end of the lobby opposite the Starbucks.]
  • Akamai Business Center: 20% discount on FedEx & UPS Shipping
Print Wikipost

Wailea Beach Marriott Resort & Spa, Maui, Hawaii [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I've encountered this issue quite a few times to a point of where I politely call a day before to ensure they're cognizant on availability for the upper tiers.
good idea. it's a pain in the ^%$^%# but you have to these days.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, CC Gold, UA Silver
All the above said, this is a very nice resort. The rooms are nice, the grounds are very nice, and the pools are great. The also have a nice game room with video games and air hockey that was fun. I would love to come back, but I don't think I could justify it for the amount of cash they want, although I would consider it for 50k points per night (+$70 in the worlds skinniest parking spaces and resort fee which you probably won't use except for the two free drinks).[/QUOTE]

The game room was pretty good. All of the arcade games were free which was nice. Most of the time, we never visit the game room because it ends up costing so much in quarters with the games kids want to play. They have a nice variety of retro arcade games, foosball, shuffleboard, pool that we had fun with on our rainy day. The other plus is having Island Market walking distance which was great for takeout or casual meal. I also found delivery service called Hopper that delivered from some of the local places for small delivery charge. Still cheaper than paying for meals at resort. The $35 resort and $35 parking makes us rethink the free night options in Maui. If we go back, likely Hyatt Maui in Kaanapalli who waive parking and resort fee plus if you have club certs, you can get free breakfast and afternoon snacks. Much better value for award points.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:05 pm

We just returned from a week at Wailea Beach Resort over spring break. This resort is fantastic and I would love to return. It was a really great deal as an old Cat8 travel package redemption, and although that ship has sailed, even at 360K for 7 days it could be worth it. The grounds are beautiful, the path along the water was so scenic. I watched sea turtles hang out in the waves just in front of Hale 7 and checked out the tide pools there in the black volcanic rocks, and snorkeled just north of the resort at Ulua beach. As a Plat member, there was no upgrade because the resort was full but we had a nice ground level room that faced the pool with the water slides. We used our free daily continental breakfast tickets at Starbucks near the lobby and paid a small upcharge ($2-3) to get a breakfast sandwich in lieu of the daily pastry (which I would recommend over going to Whale's Tale for the free breakfast) and I was able to use my Starbucks app to pay that (but you can't redeem any rewards at this Starbucks). There are daily activities listed and most were free, i.e. included with the $30 daily resort fee. If you rent a car, get an intermediate or smaller because the parking spaces in the garage are super skinny. Just beyond the parking garage is a nice outdoor mall with high end shops, a dive shop, and regular ABC stores, so you can get just about anything you need there.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 0limits
We used our free daily continental breakfast tickets at Starbucks near the lobby and paid a small upcharge ($2-3) to get a breakfast sandwich in lieu of the daily pastry (which I would recommend over going to Whale's Tale for the free breakfast) and I was able to use my Starbucks app to pay that (but you can't redeem any rewards at this Starbucks).
It's outrageous that you had to pay anything for a breakfast, let alone a sandwich. Your breakfast is supposed to be complimentary. This is a noncompliant property. You should complain and get your money back.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's outrageous that you had to pay anything for a breakfast, let alone a sandwich. Your breakfast is supposed to be complimentary. This is a noncompliant property. You should complain and get your money back.
I ask how many properties in the islands are in compliance? Repeating my previous position Marriott only cares about bed counts, and now there is a challenger on the horizon Oyo in India and it appears they mean business so don't look for a lot of policing by Marriott
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by edgewood49
I ask how many properties in the islands are in compliance? Repeating my previous position Marriott only cares about bed counts, and now there is a challenger on the horizon Oyo in India and it appears they mean business so don't look for a lot of policing by Marriott
Well, complaints do get results. The Laylow, Autograph Collection was infamous on here and after numerous people complained by email directly to Marriott, the third-party management company operating the hotel at least started to offer something.

The Westin Hapuna Beach, Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa and The Westin Moana Surfrider all comply with no petty games or up-selling.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Well, complaints do get results. The Laylow, Autograph Collection was infamous on here and after numerous people complained by email directly to Marriott, the third-party management company operating the hotel at least started to offer something.

The Westin Hapuna Beach, Waikiki Beach Marriott Resort & Spa and The Westin Moana Surfrider all comply with no petty games or up-selling.
with respect to the Moana et al much different ownership and philosophy. Laylow is owned by an American company in Ten I think made up of equity capital.

Not disputing that complaints if there are sufficient and based on real issues don't get attention, just saying that if one looks across the board at reflags in the past five years or so in the islands and they look at the makeup of ownership, it is an issue

Be interesting to see what Oyo does when they move into the US market, whom will they buy.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by edgewood49

Be interesting to see what Oyo does when they move into the US market, whom will they buy.
This is not a recipe for brand consistency and competition against Marriott:

It has grown with a primary focus on low-priced hotels with basic but reliable quality standards. Of more than 10,000 branded hotels in its network, most are existing hotels whose managers agree to renovate them to Oyo’s specifications.

https://www.ft.com/content/a9f0e08a-...b-1fe89bedc16e
Old Apr 6, 2019, 12:55 pm

We just booked flights for our first trip to Maui. Four of us including two teenage boys.

For the hotel, want to use one of my 7-night hotels from a travel package bought last year. We will be there for 6 nights.

Right now I have narrowed down the choice to the Wailea Beach Resort but would like to know atleast couple of other Marriott properties in Maui that we should consider. Any comparable or better Marriott/SPG properties?

From reading the recent comments about the Wailea Beach resort, the positives are nice location, pools, big size of property, and the negatives that stand out are the lack of decent breakfast/food, high resort fees and separate parking fees that add up close $70/night.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Tough to get out of parking/resort fees anywhere in Maui unless a Hyatt Globalist. It's a great area. Starbucks on site + mall next door (w/ a CBTL) have some good affordable/to go options.
acinchus likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Tough to get out of parking/resort fees anywhere in Maui unless a Hyatt Globalist. It's a great area. Starbucks on site + mall next door (w/ a CBTL) have some good affordable/to go options.
I can't believe someone would recommend Starbucks.

If you're going on vacation to Hawaii and can only afford to eat at Starbucks then maybe you should just go to Gary, Peoria or somewhere closer to home.
jsl_313 and eseeton like this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:57 am

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by acinchus
We just booked flights for our first trip to Maui. Four of us including two teenage boys.

For the hotel, want to use one of my 7-night hotels from a travel package bought last year. We will be there for 6 nights.

Right now I have narrowed down the choice to the Wailea Beach Resort but would like to know atleast couple of other Marriott properties in Maui that we should consider. Any comparable or better Marriott/SPG properties?

From reading the recent comments about the Wailea Beach resort, the positives are nice location, pools, big size of property, and the negatives that stand out are the lack of decent breakfast/food, high resort fees and separate parking fees that add up close $70/night.
Have fun on your first trip to Maui. Maybe more important than trying to compare and contrast the Marriotts is to suss out if you think that your family would prefer the west or south side of the island: the difference between locations is greater than the variance between the hotels that you are considering, IMHO.
acinchus likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
SMH. It's breakfast. It's not that complicated. Said poster wasn't asking about interesting dinner dining options all over the island
slpybear and acinchus like this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Just get your takeaway deli meals from Island Gourmet at The Shops @ Wsilea and eat it on on of the tables in the hotel grounds while enjoying the views. Much cheaper !
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:51 pm

Can someone advise if their Te Au Moana Luau is worth it? Will be staying there for 7 nights and am having a hard time deciding if it is worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.