Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
If asked, has anyone had an issue with the reservation being in their name but the AAA membership in their spouse's name?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by GoPhils
If asked, has anyone had an issue with the reservation being in their name but the AAA membership in their spouse's name?
Why not add yourself to the AAA plan as a household member? Better to do it properly and enjoy all the benefits of membership than to try cheating the system.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Why not add yourself to the AAA plan as a household member? Better to do it properly and enjoy all the benefits of membership than to try cheating the system.
My main reason for getting AAA is the automotive roadside assistance. If I'm not traveling for work (which would be covered through work), 99% chance I will be with my spouse. Paying $30 for another member to save a couple bucks a few nights a year on a hotel doesn't make too much sense. I know for the automotive stuff the person on the card just has to be there, so wasn't sure if it was the same for using hotel discounts.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My main reason for getting AAA is the automotive roadside assistance. If I'm not traveling for work (which would be covered through work), 99% chance I will be with my spouse. Paying $30 for another member to save a couple bucks a few nights a year on a hotel doesn't make too much sense. I know for the automotive stuff the person on the card just has to be there, so wasn't sure if it was the same for using hotel discounts.
I think someone mentioned that Marriott now requires the AAA # when booking the ressie online. It doesn't ask for name, just the #, so if you use your wife's # & it's valid #, it should be ok.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is this a new thing? I haven't ever provided the AAA # to Marriott, besides occasionally being asked to show the card at a hotel (rare).
Old Feb 27, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
Is this a new thing? I haven't ever provided the AAA # to Marriott, besides occasionally being asked to show the card at a hotel (rare).
Seems to be. If you scroll up thread, started in July/August 2016 & even a few posts above yours FTers are discussing it. However, not certain if it's at each property or if it's browser dependent.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
On the admittedly rare occasion when a front desk clerk asks to verify my AAA card upon check-in, s/he confirms the name matches. You may be able to argue it's okay that your wife's name is on the card if your wife is staying with you. Marriott's terms for the AAA rate don't specify explicitly whether the AAA member must book the reservation or may simply be in the room, as far as I can tell. I presume, though, that your wife is not traveling with you on business. Thus again the most appropriate solution here would be for you to pay the extra tens of dollars per year for a household membership in order to legitimately claim the benefits of membership when you travel solo.

Last edited by darthbimmer; Feb 28, 2017 at 5:17 pm Reason: grammar
Old Feb 28, 2017, 1:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Rasputin
I agree on the honesty part. You can't put a price on a clear conscience.

So, yes, I am admittedly trying to be sneaky here.
?????
Old Feb 28, 2017, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by JackE
?????
The post you're replying to is 11.5 years old - I'm thinking that OP has probably moved on at this point
Old Mar 1, 2017, 9:25 am

On the admittedly rare occasion when a front desk clerk asks to verify my AAA card upon check-in, s/he confirms the name matches. You may be able to argue it's okay that your wife's name is on the card if your wife is staying with you. Marriott's terms for the AAA rate don't specify explicitly whether the AAA member must book the reservation or may simply be in the room, as far as I can tell. I presume, though, that your wife is not traveling with you on business. Thus again the most appropriate solution here would be for you to pay the extra tens of dollars per year for a household membership in order to legitimately claim the benefits of membership when you travel solo.
Actually they will let you book more than one room on the AAA membership so it's unlikely that the name would have to match if the person with the card was actually present.

That said I have never had to put my AAA membership # in when I book and I routinely book AAA discounted rooms. I hope their system is better than Hilton's which seems to think my number is invalid no matter what I do. (If I call they can override the issue!)
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:35 am

Sorry, yes the reason I asked was for a stay where my wife will in fact be with me. If my company wants to pay for my membership than maybe I will get one, otherwise I'm not too worried about saving my company a couple bucks every once in awhile, as our corporate rate is often better than AAA anyway.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: LTP, PP
idk if this has been covered or relevant but I used AAA today for a service call for the first time in years, the card was stored in my iPhone and the app showed the location of the service truck until it arrived. Worth every penny.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
idk if this has been covered or relevant but I used AAA today for a service call for the first time in years, the card was stored in my iPhone and the app showed the location of the service truck until it arrived. Worth every penny.
Last time I used them they left me stranded on the side on an interstate in Atlanta at 11 PM for over an hour while the idiot tow truck driver told the agent that "there's no such mile marker on that interstate" The agent could see it, the GA DOT could see me on the video screen, but the AAA tow truck couldn't find I-85 by the airport (According to him I-85 does NOT go to the airport!)

Hero unit showed up and rescued me. When the card expires they are not getting any more money. Worth ABSOLTUELY NOTHING! My new car has roadside and having already used it, they came in 15 minutes!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:57 am

I think there's a AAA thread in Omni for those who want to discuss the pros/cons of roadside service

Cheers.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Well I'm just happy the card's in my phone for Marriott purposes. They'll be idiots in every service industry. That I-75 I-85 stuff by the airport is quite a mess even for locals I would imagine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.