Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 18, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to joeags for this information:

More About Special Rates
AAA/CAA

Save on hotel rooms at 3,800+ Marriott brand hotels worldwide
Earn Marriott Rewards points in addition to discount
ID required at check-in (American, Canadian Automobile Association or any non-USA Automobile Club Affiliate)
Subject to availability at individual hotels
Print Wikipost

Be prepared to show proof of AAA membership

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC Hyatt asks for the AAA number too. Unfortunately I haven't found a way to store it in my profile and avoid hunting for the card every time.
I've discovered that if you ignore the requested information and just book it it goes through fine.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Boghopper
I've discovered that if you ignore the requested information and just book it it goes through fine.
It's never worked for me when I've accidentally omitted to add the number before submitting the online booking form.
Old May 27, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by karch
Agree with other post, I rarely am asked for the card and I NEVER carry it. I do have an electronic version in my Apple Wallet on my phone which is always accepted. I'm guessing Andriod has a similar e-wallet.

Of you could just install the AAA App itself. Which has a copy of your card too.
Old May 27, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
I'm being asked for ID much more often now. AAA card? Maybe 3 times in the last 5 years. I always have it as one should if they ask for that rate. I ma just glad I don't have to enter it to make reservation. What a pain to type in for Hyatt/Choice.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
I've never been asked to show my AAA card at any Marriott or Hyatt. Only at the lower end chains, like Super 8.
Old May 28, 2016, 6:53 pm

Anyone have experience showing an expired card?

My membership number is active. My physical membership card expired in 2014, and I'm not sure where the updated one is.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by zhangg

My membership number is active. My physical membership card expired in 2014, and I'm not sure where the updated one is.
I doubt you would have any problems.
Old May 28, 2016, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire

I have been questioned showing an expired card, but only extremely rarely, and never at a Marriott brand. I seriously doubt you'd have any problem, but AAA will send you a new card at any time for free if you call them.

-----------------------

BTW, since this is the Marriott forum, I'd like to point out that Marriott is the one and only chain I've found where the AAA rate may actually be worse than the standard rate. With any other chain, if the hotel doesn't offer an AAA discount, then it doesn't show. With some Marriott's they will list an AAA rate, but if you look closely the rate is actually worse than the standard rate. By chance, I just looked at a Residence Inn today that had an AAA rate of $242, but the standard rate for the exact same room was $146. Caveat Emptor.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My AAA club will email a temporary membership card if a local member has misplaced his/her card. This is much faster than waiting for the actual card to be mailed.
Old May 28, 2016, 9:27 pm

I was checking in to the DC Marquis a few weeks ago and the FD refused to give a AAA room rate to a woman who didn't have the card. Was painful to watch her pretending to look for it.

Historically, I am asked to show my gov't ID when travel on orders about 10% of the time. But, was 2 for 2 in the last month, so maybe all are asking more.
Old May 29, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC
I stayed at Marriott Shanghai City Center last week, and the front desk made a copy of my AAA card. Definitely a first. Never had I been asked to show my AAA card at any Marriott property. Usually I left my AAA card along with my Costco card behind at home whenever I traveled internationally. I am glad I brought the card with me this time.
Old May 29, 2016, 2:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
front desks should verify the age for senior rates.
I can't think of any good reason to require this more than once, chainwide, for the obvious reason that once eligible, no one will lose eligibility.
Old May 29, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

If you have the expired card in your possession call the 800# on it while standing in front of the FDC, provide them the # & ask them to verify w/ the FDC that your membership is still active.

My AAA club will email a temporary membership card if a local member has misplaced his/her card. This is much faster than waiting for the actual card to be mailed.
If it works. My AAA club supposedly emailed me a temp card & it didn't arrive. Luckily I didn't need to use AAA during the week or so it took for the real card to arrive.

Originally Posted by naumank
I stayed at Marriott Shanghai City Center last week, and the front desk made a copy of my AAA card. Definitely a first. Never had I been asked to show my AAA card at any Marriott property. Usually I left my AAA card along with my Costco card behind at home whenever I traveled internationally. I am glad I brought the card with me this time.
Prague Marriott wanted to copy my AAA card too. We got into an argument about it. They said they needed to verify it was me/my card. I pointed out that I was standing in front of them/my picture & name on my passport confirmed my identity. And the name on my AAA card matched my passport. They then said that Marriott HQ required them to copy the card to ensure that I was entitled to the rate. I said BS. Marriott asks them to verify that I have the proper card, which given it had my name which matched my passport which matched me did. I said I was willing to call Marriott back in the states to have them verify copying the card was not required. They gave up after that.

First time I was asked for a AAA card was at LHR Ren. Because I was never asked for it I had left it behind. They honored the rate as a 1-time exception, but ever since then I take it w/ me if I've booked a AAA rate.

Originally Posted by JackE
I can't think of any good reason to require this more than once, chainwide, for the obvious reason that once eligible, no one will lose eligibility.
Old May 30, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
FWIW, Hilton requires you to type in your AAA # or AARP number on their website to make a reservation under those discounts.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by drowelf
Of you could just install the AAA App itself. Which has a copy of your card too.
thanks, did not know that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.